Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #1

Securing your Windows XP SP2 PC (updated)

The attached file is one of the amateur articles I wrote and recently revised on cleaning up and securing your PC. Hopefully it'll be of some help if anyone is interested.

I had to put the PDF file in a ZIP archive due to file size limits on an attachment. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Attached Files
File Type: zip securityissues.zip (41.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
A router firewall does have one weak link though. Like the firewall built into Windows, a router has no outbound protection. In order to have control over your outbound connections you’ll need to use a software firewall in addition to the router.
This isn't 100% true. Many home routers do include some measure of outbound control. My aging Linksys, for example, allows me to block websites by keyword, websites by URL, and specific services (ports).

Hacking the router and installing alternative firmware on it (which runs Linux) offers even more control. As does getting an old PC, installing 2 NICs, and running a firewall distribution such as Smoothwall or m0n0wall.

Software firewalls on Windows? Band-Aid on a sucking chest wound.

NothingsLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #3

I should have been more specific with that. I was referring to full outbound control, being able to pick and choose exactly what gets through and what doesn't. The article is aimed more at the average home user who may not even know what a firewall is. A great many people with a router probably don't even realize it can be configured.

As for software firewalls, yeah they leave something to be desired. I use one in conjunction with my router's firewall. I like having a popup telling me something is trying to access the web so I can track it down and kill it.