Refurbed PC Windows 7 Jumping Off Page - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 4,536

Refurbed PC Windows 7 Jumping off Page

My wife just got a refurbed PC with Windows 7:
Dell Optiplex 755 Intel Core 2 Duo 3000 MHz 1 Terabyte Serial ATA HDD 8GB DDR2 Memory DVD ROM Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit + 17" Flat Pane.

The problem is, while reading on a webpage, for no reason at all, it will jump back to her home page, or it may jump back to her desktop. There is no specific time that it will do that, it is just at random. When it jumps back she has to hunt to find where she was, it is very annoying. Also it has froze a few times on a page.

Could this be a bad hard drive? I sure hope not, we have spent hours transferring her files, pictures and such.

I got one of the refurbed PCs a while back and the hard drive crashed the day after I loaded all my stuff back on. The people were great and sent me a new hard drive which I installed, no more problems.

Has anyone had the problem of their PC jumping off page like this?

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 07-14-2015 at 09:41 AM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
HDS

Rewards Points: 96

Sounds like a virus.

Advertisement

HDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,798

Is the mouse sensitive and jumping to the little house icon in the top right of the page, and then she clicks it by mistake?

Sometimes the mouse sensitivity is set too high, go to the setup for the mouse to re-set it slower.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

HDS, we will do a scan to see if it is infected.

Ed, I will slow the mouse down and see if that helps. It will jump back even when she does nothing but read. It only jumped back once today and that was back to her home page.

Jim
Old 07-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 70

does the mouse have a ball on the bottom or it optical? if a ball remove the ball, clean the x and y rollers of built up gunk until you can see them clean, reinsert the ball and the tracking should be good until the next cleaning. If it's optical, place the optical mouse on a no glossy surface or a sheet of white paper and see how it performs.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,798

If the mouse is optical, Check around the little feet to see if there is a buildup of dust and oil from hands mixed together, sometimes this occurs and changes the tilt of the mouse enough that it is a drugged out frenetic thing.

And while you are checking it's belly, see if there is any dust particles stuck on the sensor, clean with a swab and window cleaner, then dry with a dry swab.

If a ball type remove the ball by twisting the area around the ball a quarter turn or so to drop the ball out, look for hairs, dust, bread crumbs, or other odd things inside, again a swab with cleaner will spruce it up.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
If the mouse is optical, Check around the little feet to see if there is a buildup of dust and oil from hands mixed together, sometimes this occurs and changes the tilt of the mouse enough that it is a drugged out frenetic thing.

And while you are checking it's belly, see if there is any dust particles stuck on the sensor, clean with a swab and window cleaner, then dry with a dry swab.

If a ball type remove the ball by twisting the area around the ball a quarter turn or so to drop the ball out, look for hairs, dust, bread crumbs, or other odd things inside, again a swab with cleaner will spruce it up.

ED
The mouse is optical, I will check and blow the dust out of the light and check it out, I have several mouse (mice?) I will try another one if that doesn't work.

Thanks fellows.

Advertisement

Jim