DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

putting virus protect on while infected

6K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  PD_Lape 
#1 ·
I am not very literate when puters are concerned. I have tried numerous times to load both free and boughten and have been prevented always.

I downloaded or supposedly a bit ago,,,going now to see if its there and use able.

ANY advice is appreciated.

#4 ·
Hi OP,

Once a virus has infected your computer it's really tough to install an antivirus. That's usually one of the first things they're designed to prevent for obvious reasons. Like Joed said you may just have to wipe your computer's hard-drive and start over, depending on the level of damage that's already done. What is your virus doing?

#6 ·
Yea, old post....

But another suggestion if you have more than one computer....pull the drive from the infected computer and using a spare SATA or IDE connector in your good computer (that has virus protection), plug in the drive and access it as if it was a second drive. The virus protection should scan it first to find the offending issue. This may not solve the whole problem....but it's one way to get it fixed.

#10 ·
I would try to use the Kaspsersky Rescue Disk. You can burn the ISO to a USB drive or a DVD and boot from it. This will prevent Windows (and the virus) from loading before it can be cleaned. Once you run Kaspersky Rescue and clean off the drive, you should be able to load on a new AV program.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/rescuedisk/

You can also check out MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware, both have been helpful to me in the past.

#11 ·
All good advice above but it really depends on what you use the computer for.

I make my living on my computer and I don't believe in virus protection because it doesn't really work that well.. Virus programs find viruses the same way police investigators use fingerprints to find bad guys.. If they don't already have the fingerprint on file, the virus slides right in and does its thing..

When I first got married a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, my wife was arguing that her Kaspersky was the best.. She didn't understand that its only as good as the fingerprint database it has.. So I wrote a small code snippet and gave it to her and recorded all her keystroke to prove my point.

The best defense is not to run or open attachments on an important machine.

If your computer is just a toy for you than then just make a bootable disk with AV on it or put the drive in another computer and clean it.. Depending on what virus(es) you have, I'd say you chances of success is about 60% to 70%.. Some of those buggers are designed to hide a back up copy of themselves to reinstall..

If your computer is a money maker like mine, than I would suggest zeroing the drive with DBAN, then format, then reload everything from scratch.

Stop running executable files or opening things from unknown sources. Get a copy of firefox and load it up with NoScript, AdBlockPlus and DoNotTrackMe add-ons.. Dump your POP3 email if you have one and stick to a web based email like gmail where they can virus check everything you get.

And the most important rule to follow... ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR STUFF ON A REGULAR BASIS...

#12 ·
you may have to do the down load from safe-mode , do you know how to get their and do the down load, i bet the virus will not let you down load from a site how do you know you have a virus ?? need more info. avist or avg are free and work good also mallwarebytes is another good one , just do a google search for each one and it will take you to the site, most virus are removed from safe-mode but some can be removed from just window's , good luck

#16 ·
I'll put in my 2 cents here, been in the Computer Business since 1994 and have been fighting Viruses ever since.
The only answer that i would choose acceptable is the one from OhmZoned.
One other User suggested Hirens, alright.

All others, try again.
If you have a Virus that is powerful enough to lock you out of your System, (FBI-Virus for example)you'll need to run a Virus scan in it's own (linux) environment. So download Kaspersky Rescue or the Hirens CD and let the System remove the heavy hitters.
Once you are able to boot into Windows again, still run these:

1. Rkill
2. Combofix
3. Malwarebytes
3. Adware Cleaner
4. CCleaner

In that order.
(at your own risk, of course.)
You'll be surprised how many Viruses and Trojans are still found by these Tools.
All of them are available for free at Bleepingcomputer.com

Unless you caught the famous Cryptolocker. Then you are on your own.
This is why a recent good Backup of your System is so important.
Cheers,
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.