Purchased My First Gaming Laptop - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

purchased my first gaming laptop

So I won a bidding war on an ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop. Was so excited until it came in the mail. The person I won the computer from is still the primary account on the computer with a password protection on startup. Ive tried contacting the seller with no response.

From what ive been reading, there is no way around the password protection other than reinstalling windows and basically wiping the entire computer clean. Does this sound right? Im not very computer smart (more mechanical) so is doing this something I should be ok with myself? Meaning is it pretty dummy proof? Lol

What is the best Windows program out there right now? Windows 7? Is there a better program? If Im going to have to purchase a program and start from scratch Id like to go ahead and make this thing as bulletproof as possible. Virus protection?

The computer will be used ALOT. I am a student so will be used for school, research papers, gaming, music and movie downloads. This is my first computer so I am pretty much a noob lol just looking for advice on building this thing up to last me the few years I have left of school.

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisement

halfbreednerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 986

Bought it off eBay.
Password protection from previous owner.
Cannot contact seller.

You sure you didn't buy a stolen laptop?

Advertisement

r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #3

That was my first thought lol I should have put that... I called and verified that the serial number is good. I think it may have been an honest mistake on the sellers part. They have great feedback, except with communication. Several negatives saying they take forever and a day to respond.
halfbreednerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

IF you are talking about windows password, below is my goto program I used to use at work when we had machines not on the domain we eneded something off of.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

if something else, try googling <app you need to get password for> password recovery.

sometimes bios can be reset by removing bios battery and setting jumpers in certain places.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #5

There should be software that can bypass windows password. I remember I saw it on Youtube, but forgot the name of it
nobrainer612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
Bought it off eBay.
Password protection from previous owner.
Cannot contact seller.

You sure you didn't buy a stolen laptop?
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrainer612 View Post
There should be software that can bypass windows password. I remember I saw it on Youtube, but forgot the name of it
Yes, it is called using Windows Repair.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
IF you are talking about windows password, below is my goto program I used to use at work when we had machines not on the domain we eneded something off of.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

if something else, try googling <app you need to get password for> password recovery.

sometimes bios can be reset by removing bios battery and setting jumpers in certain places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrainer612 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes, it is called using Windows Repair.
see my previous post. please

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote