Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Is It Possible To Network Router-to-Router???

I want to connect my Xbox 360 to the network. Ideally I'd like to cable it out to my router however they are on different floors. I've tried drilling between floors to cable it out but I'm not having success.

Instead I've decided to try and wirelessly connect to the router. Microsoft sells a wireless adapter for the Xbox for roughly $80. I figure I can get another router for sub-$40 to connect to the Xbox. I'm curious if I can connect 2 routers wirelessly to get onto the internet?

jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

As long as they are capable of that setup & everything is connected/setup correctly yes

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
DIY Rookie

Rewards Points: 10

You might consider upgrading your existing router to a wireless router and then installing the wireless adapter at your Xbox. Wireless routers are pretty inexpensive and you could take the opportunity to upgrade to a higher speed as well. This way you'd only need one router and it won't require much in the way of configuration to work correctly right out of the box.

We use this setup at home and it works great.

Cheers,
Zeke
Zeke2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

the second unit does not need to be a router, use a hub instead. Less money.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
DIY Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
the second unit does not need to be a router, use a hub instead. Less money.
I think he's saying that he doesn't want to cable to the second unit, in which case a hub won't do him much good without a wireless access point - which is more expensive than a router.
Zeke2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I recommend getting a nice wireless router and then getting the Xbox wireless adapter. Two of the nicer dual-band wireless routers are the D-Link DIR-825 and the Netgear WNDR3700.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

You can network two routers together via the wireless connection. You'll take a hit in speed for doing so though. When using a setup like this for gaming, you are bound to experience more lag. Not something I'd recommend for a gamer setup. Hardwired is still best for gaming.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jte1130 View Post
I want to connect my Xbox 360 to the network. Ideally I'd like to cable it out to my router however they are on different floors. I've tried drilling between floors to cable it out but I'm not having success.
Drill a hole in the floor, then drill a hole in the ceiling below. Now push a coat hanger from the one hole through the other, tape your wire to the coat hanger and pull it through. If you have a punchdown tool to put the end on the cable then you only need a quarter inch hole to pull it through.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jte1130 View Post

Instead I've decided to try and wirelessly connect to the router. Microsoft sells a wireless adapter for the Xbox for roughly $80. I figure I can get another router for sub-$40 to connect to the Xbox. I'm curious if I can connect 2 routers wirelessly to get onto the internet?
You don't need two routers! Just one wireless router!
I have this same setup and the wireless router is capable of handling many wireless devices.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Here's a good page to look at! There's a link there to a site that has a method of making a router 'talk' to another!

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/10/...your-xbox-360/
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

i had a similar issue where my wireless router was on a 2nd floor and my xbox360 was in the basement. I ran a cat5 cable from the first router to a 2nd that i had in my basement. Turned off the dhcp function on the router in the basement and basically used it as a over priced switch. But i was able to have excellent wifi coverage in my entire house because i set up the second router as a access point also and just set the ssid's as router 1 and router 2 and set the same wep key for both. i used that set up cause my wii used wifi and not wired. so i killed two birds with one stone. This will work but may be more work then ya want to do and more costly since ya really don't need the 2nd router and it can easily be replaced with a switch which is normally half the price of a router.
typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Not to be taken seriously

Send a message via AIM to 80HD Send a message via Yahoo to 80HD

You will need an open switchport on your existing router, plug cat-5/6 into that, and run it out to as close to your XBox (PS3, Wii, whatever) as you can (the closer the better, and the less metal or dense material between it and the device the better).

Now, plug the wireless router or access point in to that cable. Make sure you plug the end going into the original router into the same type of port you would plug any machine into. On the wireless access point, make sure you plug in to the port labelled "Internet" or "WAN".

You will want to make sure that you specify a different subnet for the wireless than you do for the primary router's network (they will both be DHCP servers). So, if you are 192.168.1.x on the original (not recommended) then you could make this router 192.168.2.x (again, using something like 10.45.195.x on your networks would be better, but whatevs)

Now, just set up like this, you should be able to get "out".

You do have some options in that if some console games require opened ports directly back to the device, you might need to do some fancier operating. Also, setting up an IP reservation or putting the XBox on a static IP on that secondary wireless network is probably a good idea.

Lastly, make sure you are using WPA encryption... or at least SOME encryption. Don't make name your router (SSID) anything that can be used to identify you. (Like your last name, your address, your dogs name, "ILOVECORVETTES" when two are sitting in the driveway, etc)
80HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #13

I would suggest following Bob Mariani’s suggestion, with one exception. Don’t use a “hub” use a “switch”.
To answer your questions, yes routers can be networked. HOWEVER, the average home router will require some configuration changes to do so, and a basic understanding of computer subnetting. The reason is that most “plug and play” routers will run a DHCP server which leases addresses to clients (a.k.a computers)
However the two networked routers will lease the same pool of addresses if left in the out of the box configuration. This will cause IP address conflicts and all sorts of problems as the routers will not be able to determine which host the packet is destined for as it will see the same network on both sides of the routers interfaces.
So if router A uses 192.168.1.X as its network ID and router B uses the same, they will not work. Router B will need to use the next available network Id, which would be 192.168.2.X
I do computer networking for a living so this stuff is second nature to me, so let me know if you don’t understand what I am saying. Basically what you need to do is:
Change the second router’s ip address and DHCP lease to a different IP network than the first. Second you need to configure some kind of routing. Routers need to “know” the path to the other network. This can be done via dynamic routing protocols or static routing, or the gateway of last resort.
Ultimately if you just link up a switch, you don’t have to worry about any of this, which is why I would recommend it as the preferred solution.
zackinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Buy this:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...ssnnetadapter/

Buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wirele.../dp/B00126V3EI

Hook em up and your done. you don't wanna run two routers.. you can, but it's a waste. use switches over hubs.. hubs aren't even used much because of broadcasting.

or, run a wire from your router to the XBOX.
bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #15

Yes two routers can be connected without a problem. However you should either replace the wired router with a wireless router or install a hub as they are cheaper. Note: when you add a router to another router, you actually create a new network within your home. Each router is it's own network. I hope this helps.

computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote