Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Phone interference with DSL signal

I've been using a Motorola wireless router for a couple of years with no problems. Last fall I switched IPS's to ACN and get 6mb speed at just over $30 a month. All was good until about a month ago when our DSL signal began to be interrupted each time our cordless phone rang (GE 2.4 GHz). It's gotten to where the internet connection must be reset after some phone calls. I have filters on all the phone connections and, like I said, the same configuration has worked flawlessly for months. Something has changed. I've spent 4 or 5 hours on the phone to tech support people to no avail. They suggest all sorts of things that have no effect. Any suggestions? Do I need a line splitter instead of the filters?

dangann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #2

if you have filters on all the phone lines it should be ok.

Its not so I would suggest changing the frequency of the wireless router. Many of them you can do this with. What model of router do you have?

bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #3

It's a Motorola 3347 and it broadcasts on the same frequency as my phone (2.4 GHz). I can change channels on the router but does that affect the frequency? I figure I've got to get a new phone.

Thanks

Last edited by dangann; 04-10-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Jack of all - master none

On your wireless router, different channels are in different frequency ranges. Change the channel on your router, or set it to "auto" if your router has that feature. Getting a new phone probably won't fix the problem, since most cordless phones operate in the same range.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Dangann,

We would like to help resolve your probem with your ACN DSL service. We can arrange for someone from ACNís Tier II Technical Support to call you about this issue. Please email or private message ACN Inc. in this forum so you can provide us with your contact information. For help with how to contact DIY forum members see the FAQs:
http://www.diychatroom.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_contact_member s

Thank you,
ACN World Headquarters
Concord, North Carolina
ACN Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Wow, that's nice of you to offer! I hope I've got it solved. I switched channels on my router and in an initial test things seemed to work. I'm watching it now.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #7

When I got my first wireless G setup years ago, my phone did the same thing. My cordless phone would interfere, but they were kind of old, so I opted to buy a 5.8 Ghz and that solved my problem, I now have a Dect 6.0 phone and still no problems. Any 2.4 Ghz device, be it a cordless phone, a microwave, baby monitor etc..) can interfere with both your phone or your wireless router, just depends on who has the stronger signal. It may have been easier just to change the router's channel, but I wanted a new phone anyway!

amybasset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsl, filters, phones