PC Will Not Boot - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

PC will not boot

I have an older ASRock motherboard in a PC and I keep as a spare. Since I access my work PC from home frequently, I want this backup in case my main PC fails.

Anyway, I attempted to boot the spare, it started to boot normally, and then hit F2 to go into the BIOS. All the screen would show is WAIT. So I waited, and waited....nothing. I tried it again, and still I got WAIT. I tried it a third time and nothing. No boot, no post, no beep(s) no WAIT, no nothing. Several attempts over a few day gave the same results...nothing.

The fans and lights run, but nothing happens. Nothing on the monitor, it doesn't even come out of sleep mode.

I tried a different powers supply, unhooked various components one by one, to see if anything was causing this, and still nothing.

Would replacing the BIOS chip be a logical next step since the problem started when I attempted to access the BIOS.
Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

PC will not boot

If computer shuts off completely, I would download a copy of current Ubuntu free operating system on another machine. Burn to CD as instructed.

Start computer with burned CD in CD player and select option LOAD UBUNTU INTO MY COMPUTER'S MEMORY BUT DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON MY COMPUTER (may not be exact words but choose this option).

It takes a bit to load but maybe it will boot into Ubuntu version of Linux. Then you'll know if components work. Maybe end the BIOS loop? Worth a try.

Advertisement

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

PC will not boot

Could be your harddrive.
Put another HD in and see if it boots.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

PC will not boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyorpay View Post
If computer shuts off completely, I would download a copy of current Ubuntu free operating system on another machine. Burn to CD as instructed.

Start computer with burned CD in CD player and select option LOAD UBUNTU INTO MY COMPUTER'S MEMORY BUT DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON MY COMPUTER (may not be exact words but choose this option).

It takes a bit to load but maybe it will boot into Ubuntu version of Linux. Then you'll know if components work. Maybe end the BIOS loop? Worth a try.
Thanks but I have a copy of Ubuntu however nothing will run from the CD. Only the fans come on, the BIOS doesn't load, so the PC doesn't even know it has a CD to boot from.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

PC will not boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Could be your harddrive.
Put another HD in and see if it boots.
Yes, tried that. Tried different memory, different 3.5 floppy drive, different video card, different CD/DVD burners, etc. Still the BIOS does not boot. Only the CPU and chassi fans come on.
Anyway, I ordered a replacement BIOS for a couple of bucks on eBay. I will try it and if it solves the problem....good. If not, it is probably the Motherboard or the CPU, in which case I will toss them out. I can get a older, functioning MB and chip for $20 to $40 bucks. It will serve as a back up PC.
Whatever the case I will post my results in a week or so when I get the new BIOS, in case it helps someone else.
Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

PC will not boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
Yes, tried that. Tried different memory, different 3.5 floppy drive, different video card, different CD/DVD burners, etc. Still the BIOS does not boot. Only the CPU and chassi fans come on.
Anyway, I ordered a replacement BIOS for a couple of bucks on eBay. I will try it and if it solves the problem....good. If not, it is probably the Motherboard or the CPU, in which case I will toss them out. I can get a older, functioning MB and chip for $20 to $40 bucks. It will serve as a back up PC.
Whatever the case I will post my results in a week or so when I get the new BIOS, in case it helps someone else.
Thanks again.
Have you tried a different keyboard? Does it do a POST (power on self test) and give a BEEP on completion?
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,064

PC will not boot

Try changing the battery on the motherboard.
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

PC will not boot

Thanks Wildie and rossfingal. Tried all of that. Tried replacing everything including the power supply with known good parts. There is no POST, no beep, no nothing. Just the CPU fan and chassis fans run. I have concluded it is the MB or CPU, and since I can replace the BIOS chip easily and cheaply, I have ordered one. Will post back my results.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

PC will not boot

Ya, I was going to say it's probably a toast MB or CPU...

You can get an MB for under $100

I mean it's crazy. How much did you spend on the chip + shipping + taxes?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...156&CatId=5530

That's just off of Tiger website (not the cheapest place). You may be better off just replacing the old board.
sannitig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

PC will not boot

Several ASRock Motherboards have been plagued with capacitor issues. What you are relaying as it's symptoms could easily be that problem. I would try a different MB.
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
bbo

PC will not boot

you'd need to start diagnosing based on the POST (Power On Self Test) beeps and light flashes.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

try that page for help troubleshoting the issue ( well the first one it sees powering on anyway)
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #12

PC will not boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Ya, I was going to say it's probably a toast MB or CPU...

You can get an MB for under $100

I mean it's crazy. How much did you spend on the chip + shipping + taxes?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...156&CatId=5530

That's just off of Tiger website (not the cheapest place). You may be better off just replacing the old board.
The BIOS chip was $14.00 total. If that doesn't fix it, all I really need is a cheap MB as this is a backup PC. I have seen used MBs for $20 to $30.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #13

PC will not boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
you'd need to start diagnosing based on the POST (Power On Self Test) beeps and light flashes.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

try that page for help troubleshoting the issue ( well the first one it sees powering on anyway)
As I mentioned in numerous posts, there is no POST. NO beeps, no flashes, no nothing except the CPU and chassis fans run. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
bbo

PC will not boot

apologies, I misled myself when I saw you mentioned fans and lights run.

I guess you are at this spot;

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

Bad motherboard, CPU, RAM, or power supply

to quote
"If after doing all of the above recommendations you continue to have the same issue unfortunately it is likely that you have bad Motherboard, PSU, CPU, or RAM. The next step would be either to replace these components or have the computer serviced. If you plan on doing the repairs yourself or you are a repair shop it is suggested that you replace the Motherboard first, RAM, CPU, and then power supply in that order or try swappable parts from other computers."
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

PC will not boot

I'm going to side with most everyone and guess your MB is toast, but double-check that everything is seated properly and no dust / debris is present in any of the slots. I work on PC's quite frequently at work and am guilty of this more often than I'd like to admit.

Advertisement

rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote