Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #1

Share |

PC Completly Dead - Please Help!!!

Hi - hoping someone can help me out here - my PC a dell just over i year old, is just non responsive! i mean not a kick out of it!
now i already did a little troubleshooting of my own
- swapped out the power supply and it is worling fine
- also swapped out the hard disk and it is working fine
- there also seems to be power going to the mother board because that little green LED is lighting on the motherboard. but the pc just wont power up!?!
so just what else could prevent the computer from even trying to start up!!
now it has not had any knocks or anything like that so any help anyone can give me, i would be most greatful!!!
thomas.
lostintrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #2

Are you sure its not the monitor/graphics card?
If anything you should till be able to access the bios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Sorry bout stating the obvious but call DELL. It might not be free but they will be the best to ask. Could be a well know problem to them and may even have a free fix.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
I have gas!

What does your computer do when you try to boot it? Is it a black screen or does it go through the bios startup and then hang?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #5

You should check that your memory is properly seated, also ensure that the motherboard is not grounding off, these are one of the main reasons for PCs not responding.

also did you try clearing the cmos battery and restarting the computer.

Kathleen H
Kathleen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #6

thanks for ye're help guys but no system still dead - system acts as though it were plugged out altogether - monitor is fine, as is power supply and Hard disk, (i have checked these on other systems)
memory is properly mounted and there does not appear to be a ground issue with the motherboard, as i said before there is power going to the motherboard when it is plugged in because there is a small green light on the motherboard, but nothing else
lostintrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintrans View Post
thanks for ye're help guys but no system still dead - system acts as though it were plugged out altogether - monitor is fine, as is power supply and Hard disk, (i have checked these on other systems)
memory is properly mounted and there does not appear to be a ground issue with the motherboard, as i said before there is power going to the motherboard when it is plugged in because there is a small green light on the motherboard, but nothing else
Even if the motherboard is getting power, it still may not be working. If you have something else available, you can try swapping out everything except the motherboard (ram and processor included - though its usually the case that the mobo and proc both die together (one kills the other)).
CuCullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Remodeler

Try resetting the BIOS. There might be a jumper near the battery. It will have three posts and there will be a jumper on probably 2 and three. Unplug the computer and place the jumper on 1 and 2 posts. Leave it there for a few seconds and then place it back on the 2 and three. Power up the system and see how it goes.

MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #9

Maybe the button that you press to turn the computer on with is bad. Try following it down to where it plugs into the mobo and unplug it. Then take a small screw driver and jump across the two pins for a second. That will at least rule out the switch. I had that happen on a Gateway at work once.
cjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #10

Try swapping RAM (memory) with some that is known to be good, you might get a series of Post Beep Codes but you will know if that is it and find some compatable RAM. Crucial.com, Kingston, 4Allmemory.com have listings of compatable memory
rav5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #11

remove all pci cards except the video card, if you are using one.

disconnect the mouse, keyboard, audio cable, ect... everything but video and power.

if you have two banks of ram, remove one of them.

If the system still does not start up, swap out the ram for the other one and try again.
97catintenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #12

This may sound ridiculous, but I've experienced it. "IF" the PSU has a voltage switch on it, change the position, try a boot and back again.
robdville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 AM   #13

Even if you had no memory the system would still boot up.

If as you seem to indicate that there is no indication that anything is happening. Lights go on but there is no action on the monitor, the hard drive doesn't spin (does it?) and you've already ruled out the PSU, my educated guess is your Mobo is fried.

So, just to rule out a few more things, does the HD spin? You should be able to hear it if it does. Does the fan on the cpu spin? Do you hear any beeps when you start up? When you swapped monitors, did you also swap the monitor cable out? Does the system stay on when you turn it on, or shut itself off after a few seconds/minutes?

When it first broke down, was it running, or did it just not boot up one day?
montaillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
Seasoned Noob

so the MB has the LED so you're getting power from the Power supply. That's good.

For the most part, you'll get a beep, burp, whatever from the box even if you have bad memory, video, etc.

Other than a bad switch, the other thing that will absolutly prevent a power-on is the processor . . . like a burnt out processor that's been shorted. Look at the power switch and look at the processor
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #15

Did u try replacing the Power Supply?
gofrugal is offline   Reply With Quote