Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Mod

Share |

Norton vs. Free Avast

My year of Norton that came with this PC is about to expire. I read on another thread to ditch Norton and get “Free Avast”.

What are the pros and cons?

I’ve clicked on a few website links and Norton popped up with “don’t go there”. I like that, does Avast do the same? Free is a great price but I’d rather pay then get whacked. I already lost one PC with McAfee.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Norton vs. Free Avast

Norton is terrible. It's a waste of money. It slows down your computer also.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-14-2010), oh'mike (10-21-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

Norton vs. Free Avast

Best site for anything freeware...really good programs

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-13-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: removed link
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Norton vs. Free Avast

Avast will blow Norton away, even the free version. Norton is bloated non-effective junk. Make sure you run the Norton Cleanup Tool to completely get rid of Norton before installing Avast.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poppameth For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #5

Norton vs. Free Avast

Don't pay for Norton. Avast, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials are all free and are better than Norton.
nosbusch2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Norton vs. Free Avast

I'm certain that the feature you described that you like with Norton (having it tell you "hey, this website's dangerous, run away") is available in AVG, which is also a free product.

I used Avast for a number of years but was turned off to it when Vista came out; I'm sure it's gotten better since then, but for now I use AVG. Virus free since 2005.
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Norton vs. Free Avast

I'm certain that the feature you described that you like with Norton (having it tell you "hey, this website's dangerous, run away") is available in AVG, which is also a free product.

I used Avast for a number of years but was turned off to it when Vista came out; I'm sure it's gotten better since then, but for now I use AVG.... Virus free since 2005.
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Doer of Many Things

Norton vs. Free Avast

Avast will also do a very good job stopping you from going to an infected site and letting you know that a virus tried to infect you. I'm the exact opposite with AVG and Avast. I used AVG for a long time. Then it started getting as bloated as the paid programs like Norton and recently they've started cutting back on what the free product is capable of handling in a effort to promote the purchase of the full product. Right now AVG has fallen to the back of the pack with the free solutions. Generally Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), and Avira are the three to chose from. They all have their own benefits and drawbacks. Avast for example has better scan times and better on demand scans than MSE, but MSE has better detection of new "in the wild" infections, and a little better real time protection.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Mod

Norton vs. Free Avast

Since this popped up again Iíd like to say thanks for the post.

I ended up using the Norton removal tool to get rid of that a few weeks before my trail was up. Installed Avast and am happy with that. Wish I knew about it years ago.

A couple of weeks ago I got a e-mail from Norton informing me that my subscription was renewed. Checked the CC and sure enough I was billed. Donít remember using the card for the trial but I guess I did.
I called and asked for my money back and after 20 min of listening to the reasons (in broken English) why I should stay and was offered 30% off and an extra 6 months they finally credited the card.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 10-22-2010 at 08:14 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Floor Installer

Norton vs. Free Avast

The Norton removal tool doesn't remove it all. Norton has files hidden all over your computer.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Mod

Norton vs. Free Avast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
The Norton removal tool doesn't remove it all. Norton has files hidden all over your computer.
Well then, what will?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
Geek for Hire

Norton vs. Free Avast

NRT removes more than enough that it's not 'extant' anymore. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've become a huge fan of Microsoft Security Essentials.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #13

Norton vs. Free Avast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin
NRT removes more than enough that it's not 'extant' anymore. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've become a huge fan of Microsoft Security Essentials.
Security essentials is a scam that locks up you computer there is an imitaion one beware of it. It tried to infect my ipad an i laughed when an windows screen popped. If you did accsess run menu and type in %appdata% and then change the name of the only different file in the file window. Some kind of tv image icon. Add a one tomthe name and that the program cannont accsess it. My wife accidently clicked on it and got the trojan. Run a restore and give it time to do its thing. You shoul be fine. You can down load a rkill program to a USB from another computer to kill the process also. I advise anyone if they don't believe to research this. It is a sucky scam.

Last edited by ianc435; 11-02-2010 at 07:59 PM.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #14
Doer of Many Things

Norton vs. Free Avast

MSE is not a scam. There are plenty of scams out there if you are not careful in your browsing habits and fall victim to one. But the legitimate MSE is not one of them.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #15

Norton vs. Free Avast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
MSE is not a scam. There are plenty of scams out there if you are not careful in your browsing habits and fall victim to one. But the legitimate MSE is not one of them.
Yeah mse is a good one but there is one viscious imitaion out there. Locks up eveything you can't even access the internet to diagnose or combat it. This type of scam should be illegal and the pieces of crap that made thhem should gomto jail forevere.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote