Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Network and internet security

My PC was infected with a keylogger. I only found out because of suspicious logins reported by my bank. Norton antivirus never saw it. I formatted the HD and started over again.
Other than better antivirus and malware software, what else do I need to protect my computer.
Right now I've only got a cable modem to a Belkin wireless router (protected with WPA).

Does anyone have any virus software recommendations?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Eibwen

Do you have any firewalls installed on your computer?

Virus software will help but only after something has gotten thru.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
I have gas!

I was using the MS software firewall. I did a little research and I'm thinking about a hardware firewall.
Even though I got Norton Symantec free from my employer, I ditched it after this episode; now I'm trialing Kaspersky.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 AM   #4

Kaspersky and NOD32 are both quite good. I use Comodo software firewall myself in conjunction with a router firewall. Regular scans with SuperAntiSpyware and CCleaner help clean out the junk as well. I've had virtually no infection of any kind since I started using Firefox with AdBlock Plus and NoScript enabled. NoScript cuts out some of the main avenues of attack, Java and Flash.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Pro Painter

Be sure to diable the windows firewall when using the new one. It will save you from mysterious problems.

To do this: start/run/ type: services.msc. when the window opens scroll down to "windows firewall" and double click, change the start up from automatic to disabled.

Last edited by joewho; 01-31-2008 at 09:32 PM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
1.21 jigawatts

NOD32
macfluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #7

definately try Comodo's free firewall, it is a very strong software firewall.

Microsoft's own firewall does not block outgoing traffic so if you happen to dload an infected file microsoft's firewall will allow it to "call home"
Littlerhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #8

Try Spyware Doctor from the Google pack, at http://pack.google.com . You don't need to install everything they recommend there; just get Spyware Doctor if that's all you want. It seems to work well, and gets stuff my antivirus doesn't get- like ad trackers (I hate those).

I like ZoneAlarm firewall because of its ability to track changes to installed software. But Comodo looks interesting- I've never tried it.

The best defense, IMHO, is to use Linux for surfing the Internet. But I know that won't work for a lot of people... still, the Internet is getting so ugly, virus-wise, and using Linux is a whole different experience... "Virus? What's that?"
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #9

anti-virus programs have a really hard time finding keyloggers. I have coded at least 5 different keyloggers in my day and never have any AV programs picked them up as malicious.

What you can do is:
get an anti-keylogging keyboard or anti-keylogging drivers to protect what you type.

Install both a software and hardware firewall. Turn off UPNP and WAN ping on your hardware firewall (router should be good enough for home).

cheap-mans protection: use the copy and paste method, copy part of your password from a text file then type the rest manually.

Make strong passwords: some programmers are lazy they dont have ascii functionality in their keyloggers so passwords with symbols like: @#▓ cant be read.

Change your password every month

One other thing, keylogging that is done locally is almost impossible to stop or trace... make sure you dont have any enemies close to you who could be exploiting your passwords (friends family etc)
beings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beings View Post
anti-virus programs have a really hard time finding keyloggers. I have coded at least 5 different keyloggers in my day and never have any AV programs picked them up as malicious.

What you can do is:
get an anti-keylogging keyboard or anti-keylogging drivers to protect what you type.
The anti-virus will prevent a keylogger from being loaded in the first place. I use Kaspersky now and it found keyloggers in trojans, but your right if it does get on your computer than it could run undetected.

I've never heard of an anti-keylogging keyboard. Could you give me a link to one?
Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Ash

Send a message via MSN to Ash

Usually this happens if you run something you should not. Avoid installing or running executable stuff from unknown source

Also use updated versions of your browser. Some stuff can get through insecure browser too
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #12

Basic Keyloggers are used to track activities. Let's say if parents want to track what their kids are doing on PC's then it is quite easy to track with keyloggers. to be very true, It is the worst internet thing which have destroyed my pc once. You can check your registries by searching some terms like "textlogs" etc.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-08-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed from Signature
wilsonmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Usually this happens if you run something you should not.
Will I go blind?

Crappy Norton Symantec, doesn't find viruses.