Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need help starting my old computer -virus?

I am trying to start my old Dell Dimension 5100 computer that has Windows XP on it.

I have files on it that I do not want to lose, so I do not want to go through a recovery. It does give me that option if I hit control-f11 on startup.

Here is what I see on startup.Need help starting my old computer -virus?-2013-12-19-12.01.40.jpg

After it goes through a sequence of 3 checks it goes into Windows startup screens until it reaches this Need help starting my old computer -virus?-2013-12-19-12.04.04.jpg If you can read this screen it says "This application failed to initialize (0xc0000142) Click on OK to terminate the application"

At this point the keyboard and the mouse are unresponsive and I can't do anything except turn the machine off again.

I have done a Google search for "Dell 5100 userinit.exe - Application Error" and it appears that a lot of folks had this problem and they said it was a virus.

I have one working computer that I can download a fix to, but how do I run anything on the old computer if I can't start it normally.

reteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Look through the Malware removal guide that my brother has posted over at his site http://www.malwreteks.com. He has been doing this stuff for a long time, so has a really good comprehensive guide put together, along with some tools that he has written, to do cleanup for infections.

As for the error, it could just be that you have hardware failing, not a virus that is causing the issue. The Dell 51xx series was notorious for bad motherboards and power supplies.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Look through the Malware removal guide that my brother has posted over at his site http://www.malwreteks.com. He has been doing this stuff for a long time, so has a really good comprehensive guide put together, along with some tools that he has written, to do cleanup for infections.

As for the error, it could just be that you have hardware failing, not a virus that is causing the issue. The Dell 51xx series was notorious for bad motherboards and power supplies.
Thanks, but the link doesn't work. It is trying to redirect me to "malwareteks" but it doesn't come up.

Okay, it's working now.

Last edited by reteng; 12-19-2013 at 03:17 PM.
reteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

If you're just after the files, get yourself a hard drive USB enclosure.
You can hook it up to another PC as an external drive, and get your files.
AJPLeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,284

Just before the computer boots up, start hitting the F-8 key over and over until it comes up where you can get into safe mode. arrow up and select safe mode then hit enter. Once you are in safe mode go to the control panel, click on "System", click on the tab, "hardware", click on "device manager". Do you see any yellow ? marks there, if so you have a malfunction in that hardware.

While in safe mode you may try to do a restore to see if it will restore back when the computer worked well, but it also may not. IMHO which isn't much, I think you may find you have a missing dll file but I have been wrong plenty of times before.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
del schisler (02-11-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,318

Another option.....

If you have another computer....pull the HD from that computer....go buy a USB to IDE/SATA interface (usually about $25...and money well spent). Connect that drive to the USB and then plug the USB connector into your other computer.

You will now be able to access all the data files on that drive.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Another option.....

If you have another computer....pull the HD from that computer....go buy a USB to IDE/SATA interface (usually about $25...and money well spent). Connect that drive to the USB and then plug the USB connector into your other computer.

You will now be able to access all the data files on that drive.
Is there an echo in here?
AJPLeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPLeBlanc View Post
Is there an echo in here?
That is what I get for skimming....sorry....and it's one of my pet peeves as well....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Sorry, http://www.malwareteks.com. I do not know why I did not notice that before. I was probably typing on my Nexus 7 tablet, which sometimes decides what you are typing, is not what it wants to display.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

You could try and run ADW from bleepingcomputer.com and see what it comes up with.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 91

You could get a Linux distro and run it in live mode (boot up from the CD). In will run slow unless you install it to the hard drive. But you can access all your files and save them to whatever storage you have.

You may end up dumping XP.

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote