Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Share |

Monitor Resolutions...

Hi Folks,
I have a large screen 28" (diag) display I am using on an older IBM desktop. I just installed a fresh copy of Windows XP pro (sorry, i'm old school and all my old software gives me compatibility issues with newer operating systems...regardless of "compatibility" mode). The display is a 16:9 wide screen format and the highest resolutions thru windows skews everything ever so slightly... I'm primarily using the computer for CAD so having an on-screen square actually be square (as opposed to being a rectangle) is important. When I had this display attached to a different computer, I believe I used a video card and their software to achieve the correct resolution. That computer kinda "blew up" (it doesn't boot...long story) so I can't even get in to see how I made it work. There are no drivers available from the manufacturer for XP as I've already tried that.

Any suggestions on how I can backdoor this display to work without crazy 3rd party software or a separate video card? I only have two expansion slots on the "new" computer and I don't really have the budget for a good video card. I do'nt see why I can't display the proper resolution thru windows but I'm aware XP is old technology and 28" displays were only a computer geek's wet-dream back then.

Thanks for any input.

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Monitor Resolutions...

The display will only go as high as the adapter will allow. Download speccy from http://www.majorgeeks.com and post the results from it, showing what hardware is on this machine.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote