Monitor Power Supply - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Monitor Power Supply

Hi,
Just repaired a 19" Monitor I had lying spare. But now that its working there is a high pitched sound coming from the transformer. I've isolated it down to two inductors covered in rubber sleeve and open at the top.
Any ideas on how I can solve this as its really annoying. This post
A/C Transformer buzz - high pitched sound
seems to think that spraying laquer on it will solve the problem, as its related to high frequecny ribration inside. Anyone care to offer an opinion before I break my Monitor... ?
thanks,
Adam

Advertisement

mboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Monitor Power Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboto View Post
Hi,
Just repaired a 19" Monitor I had lying spare. But now that its working there is a high pitched sound coming from the transformer. I've isolated it down to two inductors covered in rubber sleeve and open at the top.
Any ideas on how I can solve this as its really annoying. This post
A/C Transformer buzz - high pitched sound
seems to think that spraying laquer on it will solve the problem, as its related to high frequecny ribration inside. Anyone care to offer an opinion before I break my Monitor... ?
thanks,
Adam
I would advise you to put it in the garbage and then drive down the street on trash pickup day and look for a replacement.
On any given day, I always see monitors being thrown away! Nobody wants them, because they want LCD's.

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Monitor Power Supply

Yeah...I gave away (2) 17" monitors that were working fine

I just missed picking up some 21" CRT's that someone was getting rid of
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #4

Monitor Power Supply

I have one that does that.i just turned down the volume on the moniter and the pc is now the volume
BEN-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #5

Monitor Power Supply

totally agree,

also LCD's use SO LITTLE power your leccy bill will be lower as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I would advise you to put it in the garbage and then drive down the street on trash pickup day and look for a replacement.
On any given day, I always see monitors being thrown away! Nobody wants them, because they want LCD's.
jaye944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Monitor Power Supply

I have to agree with the posts suggesting a LCD. You can have one from newegg or even best buy for less than $200, maybe even less than $100 on some.
seawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
E-lec-tri-city

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Monitor Power Supply

I bought a 22" widescreen LCD for less than 150 last year, I recommend you go this route as well.

Heck I have some working older 19" and 20" inch monitors and I couldn't get anyone on Craigslist interested even at a price of $10 each. One of them is a Sony Trinitron and really nice for a CRT but still no takers.

Advertisement

brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote