Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

Laptop to TV screen

I get into some extensive research with my laptop while sitting in my recliner in a cool, back bedroom. Just me, relaxing, doing my research, having to watch the screen for as long as 30-45 minutes at the time. The screen on the laptop seems to get smaller and smaller. There is a 25" (or so) TV mounted on the wall at a comfortable angle to view. Is there a way that what I am viewing on the laptop can be sent out to view on this TV screen? Maybe some type of software program to buy, or what? Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #2

Laptop to TV screen

Do you have a video out plug on the back of the laptop?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #3

Laptop to TV screen

Research? Uh, ok.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #4

Laptop to TV screen

Ha ha Jerry.

Yes, it is incredibly easy. Your TV more than likely has a VGA input just like the VGA output Dave showed in his picture. It might even have a DVI input which looks similar to the blue VGA connection except it is white and is wider and will provide a better picture. All you need is a long cable that connects both VGAs or DVIs to each other.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Tool Geek

Laptop to TV screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Research? Uh, ok.
Now that's not nice
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #6

Laptop to TV screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
Now that's not nice
I didn't say anything was wrong with it...
Old 06-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Laptop to TV screen

Dave, Yes the laptop has the video out plug as in the picture. The TV does not have one of these. On the front of the TV there are the white/yellow/red "RCA(?) input connections, and on the back there are a lot of these RCA type connections, including a blue one and a green one. Research? Yep, I'm studying to be a Surgical Tech. By doing school and home studies, I could possibly do this in one year. Part of my studies involves watching real time, actual online operations. A local Dr. has offered me somewhat of a "scholarship" to do this as I have such an interest in Orthopedic and Sports Medicine. I will work for him both in the OR and office. My second career. I was a machinist/maintenance tech for 38 years, have been retired for 4 years and now am going out again to fulfill my old dream job. Shame on you jerryh3 ! I'll go look into the proper cables. Thanks, David
Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #8

Laptop to TV screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Dave, Yes the laptop has the video out plug as in the picture. The TV does not have one of these. On the front of the TV there are the white/yellow/red "RCA(?) input connections, and on the back there are a lot of these RCA type connections, including a blue one and a green one. Research? Yep, I'm studying to be a Surgical Tech. By doing school and home studies, I could possibly do this in one year. Part of my studies involves watching real time, actual online operations. A local Dr. has offered me somewhat of a "scholarship" to do this as I have such an interest in Orthopedic and Sports Medicine. I will work for him both in the OR and office. My second career. I was a machinist/maintenance tech for 38 years, have been retired for 4 years and now am going out again to fulfill my old dream job. Shame on you jerryh3 ! I'll go look into the proper cables. Thanks, David
Ok. That sounds legit. If your tv doesn't have an VGA or DVI input you can buy a converter like this.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
BTW, my wife has B.S. in Kinesiology so I'm familiar with the sports medicine programs.

Last edited by jerryh3; 06-30-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Laptop to TV screen

Thanks for the info Jerry, I'll take that with me when I go shopping for what I need. Let's all agree that we are here to seek and give information as needed. Jerry was poking a little fun, and it was not offensive, not to me. I appreciate all who took the time to read and post an answer. IF we all just sat back, didn't read or answer anything, it would certainly be a dull life for us. Thanks, David
Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #10

Laptop to TV screen

My laptop has an 'S' video output jack (a HP Pavilion) and I can plug this into the 'S' video jack on my LCD TV.
Only there is no sound with S video, so audio cables must be run. This is also true of the VGA jack mentioned earlier.
Of course, the computer sound can be used but the quality isn't there.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Laptop to TV screen

Well it's not like you need great sound quality when you're...uh...."researching".
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #12

Laptop to TV screen

i think almost all laptops have S-video output...mine got one.. as well as the graphics output
macro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Household Handyman

Laptop to TV screen

Forgot about this posting. I have the problem solved now. While visiting my sister near Atlanta I went into a Best Buy, talked to someone who actually looked at me when I explained my problem and said the magic words: "This is all you will need". I had a drawing of the back of the TV with all of the possible ports and she (yes-she) handed me a cable which plugs into the laptop and the TV. Just set the TV to something like "Video Input" and there is what I want to view on the TV screen/monitor. Try comparing an gall bladder on the laptop screen to the one on the TV screen, much better view. Yea, I know, to each his own. Thanks, David
Old 08-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #14

Laptop to TV screen

Yes, those females are really helpful. Ever since we started letting them go to school they have become valuable members of the workforce.