Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I upgraded to windows 7

When I up graded from xp to windows 7 now my DVD rom don't work and my sound card won't work it a sound blaster

snowman21385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

I upgraded to windows 7

You probably need to update the drivers. You should be able to get them from the manufacturer's website.

djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djlandkpl For This Useful Post:
snowman21385 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I upgraded to windows 7

Open up the side and pull the power to the DVD rom then turn on the computer. Plug it back in after it boots up...Windows 7 is SUPPOSED to look for drivers when new equipment is installed.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

I upgraded to windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Open up the side and pull the power to the DVD rom then turn on the computer. Plug it back in after it boots up...Windows 7 is SUPPOSED to look for drivers when new equipment is installed.
since he already upgraded, the drivers are already there, pulling it out and popping it back in wont change the drivers.

I'd remove the drivers for the devices not working ( click the cute little windows circle, type device manager in the "search windows and program files" and tap the enter key.

in device manager, you can click DVD/CD rom drives plus sign and delete the dvd drivers, same for the sound card.

reboot.

note your devices may not be supported with windows 7 drivers, you can try the manufacturer web site if the above does not work.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

I upgraded to windows 7

I looked on the web and no more updates for sound card but I don't have $ to get xp or vista back on it I know it's a down grade but when my comp crashed I put windows 7 on it and clean wipe
snowman21385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,062

I upgraded to windows 7

Did you first run Microsoft's Windows Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer was suitable for upgrading to Windows 7? Even if it is, the program would've told you any issues you might have or special steps you might need to take.

I upgraded my Dell laptop from XP to 7 a few weeks ago. Like you, I had a couple of potential driver issues. Since the model I have is a few years old and not in production any more, Dell has no Win 7 drivers for it. Fortunately, the Vista drivers on the upgrade disc were "close enough."
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 77

I upgraded to windows 7

1st thing I'd try:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Click on Device Manager
3) Scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers
4) Right click on the listed sound device (probably listed as i.e., Creative SB X-Fi)
5) Choose "Update driver software" from resulting pop up menu.

Do the same thing for the DVD drive. Note: The DVD drive issue may be due to the drive being on a different motherboard controller. In this case, use the same steps for the controller. If not available, you may need to use the MB manufacturer's drivers.

Any device with a yellow triangle has a driver issue.

Last edited by Bob...; 02-12-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Bob... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

I upgraded to windows 7

for a lot of devices the windows vista drivers will work. all you can do is try them if they are available. if they don't it what they call planned obsolescence.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #9

I upgraded to windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman21385 View Post
I looked on the web and no more updates for sound card but I don't have $ to get xp or vista back on it I know it's a down grade but when my comp crashed I put windows 7 on it and clean wipe
As others have already told you it's entirely possible that your old devices are not compatible with Windows 7 (basically no one wrote drivers for them).

If doing the things recommended above don't work, try Googling the model number of your device and "Windows 7" to see if anyone has found a workaround (sometimes there is a compatible driver for a newer device, etc).

Otherwise you might have to spend a few dollars on a new drive and audio card (neither of which are expensive, especially if you just hit ebay).
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

I upgraded to windows 7

You mentioned you are tight on money, but this might be within your budget. You will probably be able to find a new generic audio card for under $10 delivered and a new DVD drive for under $20 delivered from places like Newegg and eBay. Both Win 7 compatible.
chris_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 658

I upgraded to windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_b View Post
You mentioned you are tight on money, but this might be within your budget. You will probably be able to find a new generic audio card for under $10 delivered and a new DVD drive for under $20 delivered from places like Newegg and eBay. Both Win 7 compatible.
Yep, definately check Newegg. I got 2 Samsung DVD burners for $14.00 each.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #12

I upgraded to windows 7

Go with your control panel option first. If it's a simple upgrade/driver issue then that should do the trick. If not, then Newegg. It gets good reviews and is easy on the wallet.
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,286

I upgraded to windows 7

Windows XP to Win7? How old is that computer? I have a feeling you wasted some money.

Because your computer crashed, is a poor reason to upgrade your computer.....maybe it crashed because you have hardware issues. Sort of like putting a new paint job on your car because it's running bad.

Not sure why $$ is an issue going back to XP....if you had it before, then you still own the license. If you lost the info....then, well....might explain why your having issues.

As a final note....this place is a great place for help...but there are better places to get computer help

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

I upgraded to windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Windows XP to Win7? How old is that computer? I have a feeling you wasted some money.

Because your computer crashed, is a poor reason to upgrade your computer.....maybe it crashed because you have hardware issues. Sort of like putting a new paint job on your car because it's running bad.

Not sure why $$ is an issue going back to XP....if you had it before, then you still own the license. If you lost the info....then, well....might explain why your having issues.

As a final note....this place is a great place for help...but there are better places to get computer help
such as this
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/comphelp/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
bbo

I upgraded to windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

first thread I clicked on was one asking "how to get my email and passwords.?"

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote