DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   PC Repairs & Upgrades (http://www.diychatroom.com/f13/)
-   -   I upgraded to windows 7 (http://www.diychatroom.com/f13/i-upgraded-windows-7-a-171229/)

snowman21385 02-06-2013 02:33 PM

I upgraded to windows 7
 
When I up graded from xp to windows 7 now my DVD rom don't work and my sound card won't work it a sound blaster

djlandkpl 02-06-2013 02:39 PM

You probably need to update the drivers. You should be able to get them from the manufacturer's website.

Missouri Bound 02-08-2013 10:54 AM

Open up the side and pull the power to the DVD rom then turn on the computer. Plug it back in after it boots up...Windows 7 is SUPPOSED to look for drivers when new equipment is installed.:yes:

bbo 02-08-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 1112351)
Open up the side and pull the power to the DVD rom then turn on the computer. Plug it back in after it boots up...Windows 7 is SUPPOSED to look for drivers when new equipment is installed.:yes:

since he already upgraded, the drivers are already there, pulling it out and popping it back in wont change the drivers.

I'd remove the drivers for the devices not working ( click the cute little windows circle, type device manager in the "search windows and program files" and tap the enter key.

in device manager, you can click DVD/CD rom drives plus sign and delete the dvd drivers, same for the sound card.

reboot.

note your devices may not be supported with windows 7 drivers, you can try the manufacturer web site if the above does not work.

snowman21385 02-08-2013 11:22 AM

I looked on the web and no more updates for sound card but I don't have $ to get xp or vista back on it I know it's a down grade but when my comp crashed I put windows 7 on it and clean wipe

md2lgyk 02-09-2013 08:41 AM

Did you first run Microsoft's Windows Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer was suitable for upgrading to Windows 7? Even if it is, the program would've told you any issues you might have or special steps you might need to take.

I upgraded my Dell laptop from XP to 7 a few weeks ago. Like you, I had a couple of potential driver issues. Since the model I have is a few years old and not in production any more, Dell has no Win 7 drivers for it. Fortunately, the Vista drivers on the upgrade disc were "close enough."

Bob... 02-12-2013 01:34 PM

1st thing I'd try:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Click on Device Manager
3) Scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers
4) Right click on the listed sound device (probably listed as i.e., Creative SB X-Fi)
5) Choose "Update driver software" from resulting pop up menu.

Do the same thing for the DVD drive. Note: The DVD drive issue may be due to the drive being on a different motherboard controller. In this case, use the same steps for the controller. If not available, you may need to use the MB manufacturer's drivers.

Any device with a yellow triangle has a driver issue.

DannyT 02-12-2013 11:24 PM

for a lot of devices the windows vista drivers will work. all you can do is try them if they are available. if they don't it what they call planned obsolescence.

TheBobmanNH 02-13-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowman21385 (Post 1112363)
I looked on the web and no more updates for sound card but I don't have $ to get xp or vista back on it I know it's a down grade but when my comp crashed I put windows 7 on it and clean wipe

As others have already told you it's entirely possible that your old devices are not compatible with Windows 7 (basically no one wrote drivers for them).

If doing the things recommended above don't work, try Googling the model number of your device and "Windows 7" to see if anyone has found a workaround (sometimes there is a compatible driver for a newer device, etc).

Otherwise you might have to spend a few dollars on a new drive and audio card (neither of which are expensive, especially if you just hit ebay).

chris_b 02-28-2013 05:04 PM

You mentioned you are tight on money, but this might be within your budget. You will probably be able to find a new generic audio card for under $10 delivered and a new DVD drive for under $20 delivered from places like Newegg and eBay. Both Win 7 compatible.

r0ckstarr 02-28-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_b (Post 1126990)
You mentioned you are tight on money, but this might be within your budget. You will probably be able to find a new generic audio card for under $10 delivered and a new DVD drive for under $20 delivered from places like Newegg and eBay. Both Win 7 compatible.

Yep, definately check Newegg. I got 2 Samsung DVD burners for $14.00 each.

Metro 04-08-2013 11:43 PM

Go with your control panel option first. If it's a simple upgrade/driver issue then that should do the trick. If not, then Newegg. It gets good reviews and is easy on the wallet.

ddawg16 04-09-2013 12:45 AM

Windows XP to Win7? How old is that computer? I have a feeling you wasted some money.

Because your computer crashed, is a poor reason to upgrade your computer.....maybe it crashed because you have hardware issues. Sort of like putting a new paint job on your car because it's running bad.

Not sure why $$ is an issue going back to XP....if you had it before, then you still own the license. If you lost the info....then, well....might explain why your having issues.

As a final note....this place is a great place for help...but there are better places to get computer help

chrisn 04-09-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1155178)
Windows XP to Win7? How old is that computer? I have a feeling you wasted some money.

Because your computer crashed, is a poor reason to upgrade your computer.....maybe it crashed because you have hardware issues. Sort of like putting a new paint job on your car because it's running bad.

Not sure why $$ is an issue going back to XP....if you had it before, then you still own the license. If you lost the info....then, well....might explain why your having issues.

As a final note....this place is a great place for help...but there are better places to get computer help

such as this
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/comphelp/

bbo 04-09-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 1155216)

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

first thread I clicked on was one asking "how to get my email and passwords.?"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.