DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   PC Repairs & Upgrades (http://www.diychatroom.com/f13/)
-   -   How to make a Pc wireless (http://www.diychatroom.com/f13/how-make-pc-wireless-131436/)

polarzak 01-26-2012 09:36 AM

How to make a Pc wireless
 
I have three PCs hooked up to my cabled router in my home. I had no problem setting it and the cables all up. However, my daughter has moved out on her own and into a place that has free wireless and she is asking how to make her PC wireless. I haven't a clue.
I am guessing she needs to buy a wireless router to pick up the signal and then connect the router to some wireless card in her PC with a short cable??
Over the years I have built PCs, fixed friends PC, etc. but this wireless stuff is beyond me at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

hyunelan2 01-26-2012 09:53 AM

If the place has free wireless, she doesn't need a router. That's what the place has that is using to serve up the wireless. What she needs is a wireless card so the desktop can talk to wireless signals. USB version is the easiest answer. Look to spend about $20.

Example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704045

polarzak 01-26-2012 10:30 AM

Excellent!!! Thank you.

raylo32 01-26-2012 11:25 AM

Just tell her to be careful what she does on that network, especially if it is open access without encryption to log on. Even with encryption there still is risk as the router is under someone else's control.

rusty baker 01-26-2012 04:20 PM

I would say closer to $40 for a strong signal. Those little 54 mbps give intermittent signal. I say at least a 300.

bbo 01-26-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty baker (Post 835404)
I would say closer to $40 for a strong signal. Those little 54 mbps give intermittent signal. I say at least a 300.

54mbps is the data transfer rate. the signal is determined from the antenna for the most part.

I manage wireless network installs for my company and if the place she is at was properly surveyed and installed, she should have no problems with that USB adapter.

and she's probably going to be most limited by the router at the place she is at and its connection to the internet, not the transfer rate of her adapter.

rusty baker 01-26-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbo (Post 835444)
54mbps is the data transfer rate. the signal is determined from the antenna for the most part.

I manage wireless network installs for my company and if the place she is at was properly surveyed and installed, she should have no problems with that USB adapter.

and she's probably going to be most limited by the router at the place she is at and its connection to the internet, not the transfer rate of her adapter.

It depends on how close she is and if there are obstructions.

bbo 01-26-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty baker (Post 835531)
It depends on how close she is and if there are obstructions.


which would be taken into account with a proper survey. such as in a hotel or apartment building.

Missouri Bound 01-26-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarzak (Post 835096)
I have three PCs hooked up to my cabled router in my home. I had no problem setting it and the cables all up. However, my daughter has moved out on her own and into a place that has free wireless and she is asking how to make her PC wireless. I haven't a clue.
I am guessing she needs to buy a wireless router to pick up the signal and then connect the router to some wireless card in her PC with a short cable??
Over the years I have built PCs, fixed friends PC, etc. but this wireless stuff is beyond me at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.


You said PC..is it a desktop or laptop? With a pc an internal card may be the best for wi-fi reception. The one I use has a small antenna on a cable so you can move it around a bit for the best signal. A laptop is probably better off with an USB type, since it's more difficult to get into. Either way Newegg is the place to go.

polarzak 01-27-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 835806)
You said PC..is it a desktop or laptop? With a pc an internal card may be the best for wi-fi reception. The one I use has a small antenna on a cable so you can move it around a bit for the best signal. A laptop is probably better off with an USB type, since it's more difficult to get into. Either way Newegg is the place to go.

It is a desktop. I bought a USB type yesterday and will try it out tonight when I bring her PC over to her. I have it at my home to fix some other issues she was having, and since I don't have wifi at home, I can't say if it will work or not.

I suspect it will, based on all of the information you all have supplied in this thread, and what I have since learned on the net. Just some back ground, she is in a single home, shared by two other girls, so I don't think there will be any range issues. Anyway, thanks to all. Your help is appreciated.

Jay 78 01-27-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 835806)
Newegg is the place to go.

Quoted for truth. :thumbsup:

raylo32 01-27-2012 09:45 AM

^ x3!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay 78 (Post 836007)
quoted for truth. :thumbsup:


rusty baker 01-27-2012 05:20 PM

Checked newegg yearerday. They only have one wireless USB. It is twice the cost as elsewhere for the same brand.

Jay 78 01-27-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty baker (Post 836342)
Checked newegg yearerday. They only have one wireless USB. It is twice the cost as elsewhere for the same brand.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...44/wrong01.jpg

I searched Newegg and got 100+ results with the cheapest ones being $10. :thumbsup:

Missouri Bound 01-27-2012 08:02 PM

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.