How To Clear My Old Pc - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to clear my old pc

I am looking to clear off all the old junk off my older pc and leave the operating system so its faster I need some advice on what to do thank you

Advertisement

flames1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

how to clear my old pc

Format the drive while you reload the operating system. That's truly the only way to fully get all the unused files off the drive.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

how to clear my old pc

Either that, or use a factory restore disc.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 530

how to clear my old pc

You really need to blank it and reinstall the OS. Use a GParted Live CD to blanks the HDD and reinstall whatever OS you have. Once you get it up and running, do all of your system updates before putting anything else back on there. Then make an image of the drive with a free tool like Paragon Drive Backup Free. In the future you can use that backup to restore the PC to the exact condition it was in when you made the image. It takes far less time than a complete reinstall and you'll only have to do some updates and install your custom software.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

how to clear my old pc

Ok thank you but I don't have the operating system on a disk just on the computer is there a way to copy the operating system onto a blank disk
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

how to clear my old pc

Use revo uninstaller to remove programs you no longer want. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Then go to www.filehippo.com.
Download Ccleaner and run with recommended default settings.
After that download Defraggler and defrag partitions.
Then download Malwarebytes and run to see if any malware is affecting performance.

If still not improved, check if your computer came with ability to restore op system. Often it's on a hidden partition on the hard drive and some F key or combination of F key and another key will start process. Google your brand and model for advice on how to restore system. It will restore to condition of when you first turned it on when new. Then update with Windows Update.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

how to clear my old pc

Manual cleaning of a system by an amateur does not guarantee removal of all the viruses and spyware and rootkits that slow down a computer.

You either need to use all the latest and greatest virus removers or wipe the disk clean and reload the entire operating system from scratch from the system CD disks you hopefully made (burned from a hidden partition) when you bought the computer.

If you use Gparted to copy a backed up operating system, there is no guarantee that the backed up copy was totally free of viruses, etc. Also you cannot copy a working operating system from another computer as it was customized for that computer when installed there.

Most folks use the one or two virus scans they have and don't bother to get all the viruses out and speed up the computer as fast as it can possibly go, unless there is a real privacy invading problem. Then they take it to the Geek Squad or the Easy Tech.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-27-2011 at 08:02 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #8

how to clear my old pc

I would suggest DBAN - it will totally wipe out any formatted drive it finds on boot. There is a download version where can burn to a cd and boot CD and as mentioned, will wipe out drives. Once that is done, nothing will be recoverable and the drive would need to formatted from scratch and an OS installed on it as like a new blank drive.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

http://www.dban.org/download
kango86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #9

how to clear my old pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames1965 View Post
Ok thank you but I don't have the operating system on a disk just on the computer is there a way to copy the operating system onto a blank disk

No. You either need to get a factory restore disc from the manufacturer, buy Windows, or switch to linux.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #10

how to clear my old pc

which programs are default on xp or can programs like adobe reader and internet be installed again and should I download a copy of internet on to a usb drive
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

how to clear my old pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames1965 View Post
which programs are default on xp or can programs like adobe reader and internet be installed again and should I download a copy of internet on to a usb drive
Lost you. If you mean should you download internet explorer? Why it has more security holes in it than only Safari. Both got blown to bits in seconds at the last hacker convention. Chrome, free from Google, lasted the longest again. Firefox is free too.

Adobe reader is third party but readily available for free. There are counterparts much faster though. Starting for free, PDF Viewer allows some editing of PDF's. Also for free, Sumatra PDF will load pages of PDFs in the time it takes Adobe reader to think about loading one. Adobe Reader has become bloatware.

Last edited by user1007; 03-30-2011 at 04:45 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
I can tie my own shoes

Rewards Points: 75

how to clear my old pc

If you don't have the original OS disc, a friend may. As long as you have a valid license, should be ok and you can install. Might I even venture that you could try a linux distro like ubuntu, opensuse, or mandriva? They all have live discs and you can try before you install. You can see if everything works with what you want to do with your computer.
algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #13

how to clear my old pc

Assuming by "older" you mean it is running Windows XP and not God forbid Windows 98 or something, I think the most straightforward course is to buy a new copy of Windows XP and do a clean install of the OS on a reformatted drive. You can pick up an OEM copy of Windows XP off ebay for $50 or so.

Be forwarned that if you try to use someone else's backup disks or system restore disks, they may not work. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

How old is this thing anyway, what do you use it for, and how often do you use it? You may quickly reach a point of diminishing returns in trying to rehabilitate it particularly since it appears you'll have a learning curve to successfully complete the process.

You can buy a refurbished desktop for $250 that may well perform better than what you have now. I would consider that option depending on how valuable your time is.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

how to clear my old pc

Now is a great tiime to start watching places like Craigs List around campus towns. I was surprised that a lot of kids just dumped there year old machines rather than pack them up for the summer.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #15

how to clear my old pc

I would just reinstall the operating system from scratch. Trying to get rid of the junk will be too time consuming. Of course, trying to remove all the junk manufacturers pre-load onto their computers with restore CDs is also time consuming.

Your best bet is to use a clean install disk and reformat your drives when you install (windows, I presume).

Advertisement

whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote