Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #1

Share |

Fiber optic line for Home PC

i was thnking of adding a fiber optic line into the house (Residential) as a small upgrade and speed up internet connectivity. i'm with cox so i tried calling them to see if that material was going mainstream yet, the cox rep. didnt know.
anyones thoughts on this please.

evol200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #2

Remember your internet download speeds rely on the internet upload speed at the other end. I don't see any improvement by going fiber unless your provider suggest for Phone, data and TV combination.

Normal internet speeds are below 10mb and fiber capabilities are crazy high. if your provider only supports speeds of 1.5mb or 6mb or even 20mb, the line into your house probably won't be the bottleneck. It's hard to find downloadable files that you can pull faster then 700kb.

bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #3

Most (if not all) telco/cable internet providers do not yet run fiber to the house. It goes to the 'can' or sometimes the MPOE and will then convert to copper. So I would not waste the money unless you are planning ahead.
clb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #4

I have FIOS & fiber optic to the house
I haven't bothered w/fiber optic in the house
I wouldn't bother
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #5

thanx,
i'm gonna do it anyway. cause i want crazy internet speeds and fast downloads, besides that its the future. i'll be buying another house soon so i'll be on the lookout for fiber optic service.
evol200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #6

It won't improve your speeds
The cable companies throttle back your connection based on traffic & use
You have to pay for faster service w/FIOS
ANd even then they can throttle back your connection

If you are moving then that's another reason not to bother
Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

MPOE means Main Point of Entry by the way. And in this case I was using it to describe where the phone company/cable provider would put their "box" to feed your house.

Go ahead and do it if you like but I would recommend that you pull Cat-6e instead or at least along with it and home run it back to a patch panel that will accept fiber/copper. That way you can tie down your Internet feed which will probably be copper based into a single point of entry then feed from there.
clb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #8

FIOS actually does not provide a means of extending their fiber optic from their box that they installed in my basement

It converts over to Coax, no fiber optic connection available
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by evol200 View Post
thanx,
i'm gonna do it anyway. cause i want crazy internet speeds and fast downloads, besides that its the future. i'll be buying another house soon so i'll be on the lookout for fiber optic service.

your in house setup is designed to run at probably 100mb - 1ghz in speeds.
bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #10

I started doing some research on fiber for whole house distribution of high definition signals from a single source; i.e. HTPC, Tivo etc. Pretty expensive for home use, much more than running dual CAT6 lines. For internet or PC networking fiber doesn't get you any gains I'm afraid.
Caromsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #11

Fiber optic IN the house will not increase internet access speed

http://www.speedtest.net/

I have FIOS fiber optic & this is my access speed

CAT3 in the house will get you 10mb
CAT5/5e/6 will get you 100mb

So the bottlekneck is your service provider, not the house wiring
Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #12

As stated above, you will not see any speed increase to the internet using fiber. The main use of fiber over copper is for distance or if it's going to be outdoors, since you can get armoured jackets. We pull copper to all drops unless they exceed the 100 meter threshold. We only use multimode fiber for trunk links between switches and that is because they are over 100 meters apart. We run either multimode or singlemode between buildings, depending on how far apart they are and what is feeding them. Some of the newer Cisco switches which use the newer gigabit LC connector SFP are only rated around 750 feet using multimode fiber. Using regular 100mb then multimode can be used up to 2 KM. Anything further we use singlemode fiber. If you do decide to run fiber in your house, factor in the cost of the fiber network cards and fiber switches or at least a bunch of fiber to copper media converters. A fiber NIC runs $100 or more, an 8 port fiber switch is at least $750 and each media converters runs about $55 each. I do this for a living and I only wired my house with Cat5e and running gigabit without any problems. The fiber solution is just a waste of money when you can do the same thing for a 10th of the cost. If you want to future proof, go with Cat6, it will suffice your home use for at least 10-15 years.
amybasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
CAT3 in the house will get you 10mb
CAT5/5e/6 will get you 100mb
Cat 5e and Cat 6 could get you 1,000Mb/s
Shrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #14

The prices are coming down. I just ordered a few Fiber NIC's for 10bucks a piece off of ebay, also switches can be had for a couple of hundred. Fiber Optic's is the way of the future. I understand that currently Cat6 will suffice, but for how long? Things are changing fast, with streaming HD, google fiber which will spread like a spider starting at the center of the US (Kansas City) over the country. So yes, I am moving ahead will installing Fiber In my home with 1000 feet of the stuff for $100 on Amazon, that's reasonable.

So I talked to a FIOS tech yesterday, and he said they can run the Fiber Cable into the house. From that point I need to know Once the Fiber is in the house can I route it as follows:

FIOS: Fiber To Home: to Owner's Fiber Switch, this then acts as a router to route to the various in wall outlets, Verizon's OMT and Action Router (only used for TV and Telephone), then to a fiber optic wireless router. The inwall outlets then would connect to my Fiber Nics to my Home PCs, and HTPC's.

So I have decided to put fiber in every bedroom, the living room, kitchen, and a couple in the basement. Not because I think it will be any faster immidetly, but since I am upgrading all the wiring anyway, I might as well move ahead. They are talking about TeraBytes/sec in the near future...I know that seems like a far way off, but that is only if you don't see the future...

EdtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote