Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

Share |

Evil graphics cards.

I am an owner of two Nvidia 9800 GX2s

They are pretty fast, look nice, etc.

But they lock up!

First set had some problems, ended up killing my mobo (Nforce 790i Ultra).

Rma the cards and mobo, threw it all back in and worked good.

I have noticed lock ups with graphics intensive things.

Did some prime 95 and some Intel stress tests with them all succeeding. Cpu temps max at about 59c (Intel qx9650, quad core) When all cores stressed at max. Idle around 39-40c. (Not stock cooling)

Whipped out rivatuner to tweak fan to 100% (kind of noisy)

No lockups.

I took NiBitor (nvidia graphics card bios editor) to check the temp settings.

They (PNY) set the fan speed at 100% when the cores reach 108c, until they fall to 104c!

My cards have been averaging 100-110c with stock cooling at stock settings.

This is way too much, though, I know there are two gpus sharing the same heatsink. Bad design from the start I suppose.

(I was able to oc a little with the fans at 100%, so the fans work pretty good)

Last edited by rgsgww; 12-12-2008 at 11:18 PM.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
the Musigician

Evil graphics cards.

the nvidia 6200 is the first one i put in that DIDN'T give me problems....
never had much luck with them, but my kid needed it to play certain games, soooo....

DM

Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #3

Evil graphics cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
the nvidia 6200 is the first one i put in that DIDN'T give me problems....
never had much luck with them, but my kid needed it to play certain games, soooo....

DM

The last 9800gx2 I had gave me problems...I don't know why I get so many graphics card failures. I might just settle with a single card solution and be done. I might go with EVGA or Asus.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
vectravl400

Evil graphics cards.

I think that the higher operating temperatures are to be expected from this type of graphics setup. GPUs are one of the worst offenders as far as heat goes and you have four of them between the two GX2 cards (That's not a bad design, performance wise. It just needs additional care given to cooling). It may be time to consider additional cooling methods like a PCI slot fan, another case fan, or even liquid cooling.

As far the component failures go, you may find that the culprit is poor power quality, either from the power supply or the wall. You should at least have a good surge protecter or UPS filtering the power to the computer and may want to consider trying another internal power supply that is designed to hand the capacity required for an SLI setup.
vectravl400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #5

Evil graphics cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectravl400 View Post
I think that the higher operating temperatures are to be expected from this type of graphics setup. GPUs are one of the worst offenders as far as heat goes and you have four of them between the two GX2 cards (That's not a bad design, performance wise. It just needs additional care given to cooling). It may be time to consider additional cooling methods like a PCI slot fan, another case fan, or even liquid cooling.

As far the component failures go, you may find that the culprit is poor power quality, either from the power supply or the wall. You should at least have a good surge protecter or UPS filtering the power to the computer and may want to consider trying another internal power supply that is designed to hand the capacity required for an SLI setup.

I have a 1600 watt psu, I should check the amperage on the rails. Voltages seem stable under load though.

Voltage from wall is stable, 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits. An isolation transformer that can handle my equipment costs as much as tri sli 285s!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
I try to not screw up.

Evil graphics cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
The last 9800gx2 I had gave me problems...I don't know why I get so many graphics card failures. I might just settle with a single card solution and be done. I might go with EVGA or Asus.

Maybe you should go with an ATI solution. Right now they can't be beat for price/performance. The 280/260 is a good chip but it is too big and hot. I would go for the 4870 or 4870x2. Plus you can run an Intel chipset with crossfire if you needed two cards.
2long4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
I try to not screw up.

Evil graphics cards.

I just read this.

Quote:
AMD is slated to launch the Radeon HD 4890 card based on the RV790 core in April not the rumored Radeon HD 4970. The RV790XT A11 sample is running at 850Mhz core at 1.3V and 975Mhz GDDR5 memory. In comparision, a Radeon HD 4870 (RV770) card runs at 750MHz core and 900MHz GDDR5 memory. AMD told their partners that RV790 is expected to be around 20% faster than the current Radeon HD 4870 RV770 card and will compete headon against the GeForce 285 GTX card. The pricing? Between US$199 to US$249.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #8

Evil graphics cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2long4u View Post
Maybe you should go with an ATI solution. Right now they can't be beat for price/performance. The 280/260 is a good chip but it is too big and hot. I would go for the 4870 or 4870x2. Plus you can run an Intel chipset with crossfire if you needed two cards.

I just went for my first asus product, the gtx 285. This thing runs much cooler than the mighty hot 280. After looking at the failure rates and temps of the 4870 line, I decided to go nvidia. I'm just not going pny again.

I heard about the new ati line, would like to see how it is, but I'm very happy with this new graphics card.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
the Musigician

Evil graphics cards.

i've always used asus and abit boards, and all my machines (mine, the wife's, both kid's) have/had ati with tv.
for my machine, i also got the CL audigy platinum so i can plug in straight to cakewalk, cooledit, etc. to record.
i only got my son the nvidia cause he had to play some dumb game that needed more and more crap...and vista... yuk.
he played the game through and now i have a drive with vista sitting on his desk.... heh heh i'll probly claim it later

DM
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #10

Evil graphics cards.

Quote:
i've always used asus and abit boards, and all my machines (mine, the wife's, both kid's) have/had ati with tv.
for my machine, i also got the CL audigy platinum so i can plug in straight to cakewalk, cooledit, etc. to record.
i only got my son the nvidia cause he had to play some dumb game that needed more and more crap...and vista... yuk.
he played the game through and now i have a drive with vista sitting on his desk.... heh heh i'll probly claim it later

DM

I am so disappointed with vista and sound cards...can't even use the special features of my sound card.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
the Musigician

Evil graphics cards.

yup, it stinks i couldn't use my son's SoundBlaster OR the onboard audio. no drivers expected ever. he just played the game with no sound.

DM
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #12

Evil graphics cards.

Quote:
yup, it stinks i couldn't use my son's SoundBlaster OR the onboard audio. no drivers expected ever. he just played the game with no sound.

DM

Well, it worked for me...just no nice audio. I diddn't get what I paid for. But, I forced vista to run xp 64 drivers and...most of it works. I got EAX back and hardware acceleration.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
I try to not screw up.

Evil graphics cards.

Yea I tried downloading the cuda drivers so I could fold with my laptop because it has a nvidia 8700 moble, but when I went to install the drivers it said I didn't have a compatible videocard.

It turns out Toshiba changes its signature so you have to use their drivers. There is a work around but I didn't think it was worth the trouble.