Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Converting cable Internet to WiFi??

Currently I have cable internet coming into the house, connected to a cable modem, then a router to three PCs. I an happy with the set up but my wife bought this Nook thing (like a Kindle) for downloading books and reading. The thing is, this Nook, only connects through WiFi. There is no Ethernet connection.

I don't necessarily want to make all of my PCs WIFi, just have it available when she wants to DL another book to read. I understand all I need is a WIFi router. I would have the cable in to the cable modem, and a cable out split to the cable router and to the WiFi router, and that should be it????
I don't think I need to put a WiFi card in any of the PCs. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,300

All you need is a WiFi router. It will have a four port switch for wired ethernet, and allow you also to do Wifi.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
All you need is a WiFi router. It will have a four port switch for wired ethernet, and allow you also to do Wifi.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Much appreciated.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Obviously, you would need wireless cards in PCs, laptops, or tablets you wanted to connect to the router via WiFi. Signal type needs to match but that should not be an issue. Positioning the router can sometimes be tricky but the range on them gets better and better.

Just a thought. If you have not priced wireless internet in awhile and it is available in your area? You might look into it. It is much cheaper and more reliable than cable here in the City. I get unlimited 4G wireless service through CLEAR, with no throttle down, for $45/month. I currently have a stick thing in the side of my laptop but want to switch to a hotspot. Theirs will let you connect six to eight devices. No contract but you have to buy the device for $100.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

I thought all modern modems sent out WIFI. I have ATT dsl and we have 2 puters wired 2 it and 4 laptops wireless. I bought a USB wireless card for one of the old desktops for about $14 so I didn't have to run a cable to a back bedroom.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,300

WiFi routers outsell non-wifi, so you tend to see more of them in the consumer market. Where as in the business market you see Access Points, repeaters, bridges for Wifi, not combo units.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Obviously, you would need wireless cards in PCs, laptops, or tablets you wanted to connect to the router via WiFi.

No contract but you have to buy the device for $100.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware I would need wireless cards in the PCs, but they are all wired and that is fine with me. It is just my wife's" Nook (like a Kindlel) can only use WiFi, I bought a wireless router with four ports, replaced my wired router, with it. Now I still have my wired PCs, and she has WiFi for downloading books to read. Works great, and the router was only $25.00.
Thanks to all.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware I would need wireless cards in the PCs, but they are all wired and that is fine with me. It is just my wife's" Nook (like a Kindlel) can only use WiFi, I bought a wireless router with four ports, replaced my wired router, with it. Now I still have my wired PCs, and she has WiFi for downloading books to read. Works great, and the router was only $25.00.
Thanks to all.
Make sure your internet connection is password-protected, or others will be able to use your service and you may be liable for what they do through your router.

If you had to enter a password when you connected you Nook to the router, then you should be all set. If not, look in the manual. Usually, it involves going to an administrator web page in your browser and changing the admin password - you should change two passwords: one for the admin web page, and the password you will use to connect to the router.

whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote