Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Computer cooling fan.

Is there a way to use a small computer cooling fan without connecting it to a computers power supply? Like directly to a regular electrical outlet. I have a treadmill at home, and I have a problem with it shutting off when it gets too hot. I had a factory technician come and troubleshoot it, and after adjusting everything to factory specs this was his observation. He suggested removing the shroud covering the drive motor and the circuit board controller, otherwise I would have to replace the walking belt which would be very expensive. I have done this, taken off the shroud and placed a small electric fan blowing on the area beneath the housing, but I would like to be able to put the housing back to protect it and keep excessive dust out. I am thinking about cutting a hole in the housing and mounting a cooling fan made for a computer case, but I am not sure how to route power to it. I have taken temperature readings with a laser thermometer, and the circuit board has the highest temps instead of the motor which I thought would have been the heat generator. I could have the fan blow directly over the circuit board, and air flow would flow out of vents already part of the shroud.

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Computer cooling fan.

Computer fans are either 5v or 12v DC fans. Just know which you are getting when you order one (I suggest newegg.com or tigerdirect.com) and connect it to a matching wall-wart style transformer. You'll need to know some very basic electrical wiring to make this happen. Cut the plug end off of the transformer, use a multimeter to determint + from - and wire it to the fan accordingly.

If you are not keen on wiring like this, you can also get a USB cooling fan and a 120v USB plug-in adapter:

The above images were found on Amazon.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
JOATMON

Computer cooling fan.

Why now have the manuf fix the issue due to design defect. If it's out of warranty....I would be writing letters.

Otherwise....just guy a muffin fan that is good for 120Vac...just as cheap if not cheaper.....and a lot less hassle to hook up.

You should be able to get one for less than $15. Anything USB is going to cost you a lot more in adapters.

edit....I lied....how about less than $10

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...m_campaign=pla

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 07-30-2013 at 11:56 AM.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

Computer cooling fan.

Just FYI sometimes removing the shroud changes the airflow and increases the problem. You might try blowing out of vacuuming the cooling holes in the motor, they may clog from dust sticking to oily film from the motor.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote