Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Mod

Share |

Computer Build!

My first attempt at one actually. Here's a link to my parts list as of now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JpWkWZ

Am I on the right track here? Any advice before I screw this all up? I'm defiantly out of my comfort zone with this project.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Computer Build!

Personally, I would upgrade to Win7 Pro and get 16gb of memory.

Have you compared prices to Newegg.com?

r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Computer Build!

It's pretty easy. Actually you don't really "build" anything. You simply buy the parts and plug them in.

Not sure you need the cooler. Your cpu should come with a fan and the stock one works fine. I use a stock fan on my i7 with no issues at all.

If you can afford it you should consider an 80 or 100 gig SSD drive as your main c drive and then use that 500 gig HDD for data. The SSD's speed things up like crazy

Just finishing a triple monitor build of my own (i7). I went with hot swappable hard drive bays (2 sets of three for 6 drives). First time I've used drive bays. It's really nice! Switch out hard drives fast and easy.

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 07-29-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #4

Computer Build!

I've never used a liquid cooler before. Guess I don't understand the point verses a heat sink and fan. Are they somehow cooling the liquid?
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Computer Build!

I think you could get a better price on the case, that just seems like too much for just a metal box.

Now I really like the AMD processors, they are NOT as good as the Intel CPUs now for sure, but depending on what it is used for I like the price of AMD and that I can get 6 or 8 cores for less than the Intel 4 cores.

I use that Invidia video and like it.

Andy.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
JOATMON

Computer Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
I've never used a liquid cooler before. Guess I don't understand the point verses a heat sink and fan. Are they somehow cooling the liquid?
The liquid does a better job of pulling heat off the CPU. How much better? I'd be inclined to think using a good thermal compound between the CPU and heat sink would insure it stays cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
I think you could get a better price on the case, that just seems like too much for just a metal box.

Now I really like the AMD processors, they are NOT as good as the Intel CPUs now for sure, but depending on what it is used for I like the price of AMD and that I can get 6 or 8 cores for less than the Intel 4 cores.

I use that Invidia video and like it.

Andy.
There is a lot of talk about which one is better. Gamer's say the Intel is better. If your not doing gaming, the the AMD with the right board with integrated video is a really cost effective solution.

Me? I'm running a quad core with the AMD in my HTPC. Works great.

Now....if I could make some suggestions......

Install a SSD...120G is plenty....then up the HD to 1TB.

You install the OS on the SSD but use the mechanical HD for all your data. That is basically how my HTPC is setup. My boot up time in Win7 is about 8 seconds after the POST.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #7

Computer Build!

You need to add a bunch of lights inside so it glows real pretty
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-30-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Remodeler

Computer Build!

Liquid coolers are fine, right up til they leak and destroy your processor and board, I wouldn't have one in my system. No real need for it unless you plan to overclock, the processor will come with a heatsink and fan that's plenty adequate. Of course more cooling is better, there are lots of performance cooling options that use air. I have the Noctua D14 on mine, its big, well huge, but runs almost silent and works extremely well.

Definitely get the SSD, at least big enough to install the OS and apps, it is worth it for the performance. Start-up time is ridiculous fast. I have an i7 at 3.5, with 16 gigs of ram, a couple 256 crucial ssd, and 3 WD black drives in mine. Set up to boot Mac OS 10.9, .8, .7 and Win 7 and Win 8.1 pro. It was my first build from scratch, very fast and very stable.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Computer Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
There is a lot of talk about which one is better. Gamer's say the Intel is better. If your not doing gaming, the the AMD with the right board with integrated video is a really cost effective solution.
I've had bad luck with Intel in the past and changed to AMD. Currently, im running the AMD Bulldozer and Asus mobo with a Radeon 7k series graphics card and an IPS panel for a monitor. No complaints.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #10

Computer Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
My first attempt at one actually. Here's a link to my parts list as of now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JpWkWZ

Am I on the right track here? Any advice before I screw this all up? I'm defiantly out of my comfort zone with this project.
What do you use your computer for? Unless you're playing games or have some other specialized requirement, you're about to waste a ton of money on something that you don't need.

I make my living on my computer.. I am a power user who will have six to ten browser tabs open, photoshop, autocad, excel, visio, and a few other programs running all at the same time. While I will admit to several large hard drives (p0rn takes a lot of space you know ), I am running a simple Intel Pentium D (dual core) processor clocking at around 2.6 or something like that. Plenty enough power for this power user.

When it is time for a faster computer, I will simply purchase a two or three year old motherboard/processor combo on ebay for about $75 to $100 shipped to my door.

Don't waste your cash on a top of the line computer with all the latest stuff... Buy new parts that are a few years old... You'll have fewer software conflicts, fewer incompatibilities, easier to find drivers, and all the bugs have been worked out.

Last edited by PaulBob; 07-29-2014 at 10:21 PM.
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaulBob For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-29-2014), davido30093 (07-31-2014), r0ckstarr (07-29-2014), taylorjm (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
Mod

Computer Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBob View Post
What do you use your computer for? Unless you're playing games or have some other specialized requirement, you're about to waste a ton of money on something that you don't need.

I make my living on my computer.. I am a power user who will have six to ten browser tabs open, photoshop, autocad, excel, visio, and a few other programs running all at the same time. While I will admit to several large hard drives (p0rn takes a lot of space you know ), I am running a simple Intel Pentium D (dual core) processor clocking at around 2.6 or something like that. Plenty enough power for this power user.

When it is time for a faster computer, I will simply purchase a two or three year old motherboard/processor combo on ebay for about $75 to $100 shipped to my door.

Don't waste your cash on a top of the line computer with all the latest stuff... Buy new parts that are a few years old... You'll have fewer software conflicts, fewer incompatibilities, easier to find drivers, and all the bugs have been worked out.
I'm not sure what part of this that you feel is “top of the line” or the “latest stuff”,a thousand dollar build is far from that. And yes I do plan on overclocking this thus the need for the cooler. The reason for this is simple, FSX. I've occasionally played with flight simulators off and on for years and never been satisfied with the performance.

I have an I3-2370m supposedly running at 2.4 GHz. I should easily be able to get 4.4 out of this. My current computer is getting increasingly buggy and I'd be surprised if I get another year out of it so I plan to build this “before” the other one crashes for good this time. I've hated windows 8 since the day I got it and can't wait to downgrade to 7.

I simply have just never built a computer before and have no idea if this is compatible with that or if I'd be better off saving a few bucks here and put those dollars toward upgrading some other part of the build.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
Mod

Computer Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
If you can afford it you should consider an 80 or 100 gig SSD drive as your main c drive and
I've been considering that. Now I'm trying to figure out how much space I really need. The laptop I've been running for the last year and a half with win 8.1 is only using 68 GB of space. I read that win 7 with all of the updates only uses 20 GB.

I don't download music, videos or games and I don't see those habits changing anytime soon. FSX once and awhile is my only vice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
I agree, I'd like to cut that price in half. Any suggestions?

I like Bob Sanders approach to no case, I've been staring at the wall next to me ever since I saw that pic.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #13

Computer Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I've occasionally played with flight simulators off and on for years and never been satisfied with the performance.
That explains it... I used to play F16 Falcon back in the old days.. I had a Saitek stick and rudder and 2 Monster video cards installed to handle the graphics. I had even purchased an air combat book to learn all the moves real fighters make and it paid off.. I got so good, people were accusing me of cheating when I was fighting in their online arena.

Do they have anymore fighter type flight games like that these days?

Quote:
I simply have just never built a computer before and have no idea if this is compatible with that or if I'd be better off saving a few bucks here and put those dollars toward upgrading some other part of the build.
Well.. to be honest, unless you have some kind of real-estate problem in your current system, I would just upgrade your motherboard and processor... Once you do that, you can add other upgrades as you think you need them.. But I think you're going to find that with the exception of the video cards and graphic intensive games, you won't need much upgrading of the other stuff.. A power supply is a power supply so long as it is big enough... As for hard drives, unless you need more space, most games that I'm familiar with are not real heavy on hard drive use once they load.

Hope that helps,
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
JOATMON

Computer Build!

An important point about SSD drives....they doint have the infinite write capability that traditional HD's do. Reading, no problem. But if you start writing to one on a constant basis, such as recording movies, you are going to shorten it's life. So instead of 6-8 years, you might get 2-4 years of use.

The key to taking advantage of an SSD is to use it for programs (like the OS) and keep all data on an mechanical HD.

Now, if your just doing flight sim...SSD is great. You install the program once, then after that, your only reading except for the occasional write to save settings.

Additionally, an SSD life is proved if you have lots of memory. When you get low on physical memory, the OS starts swapping to disk parts of your memory to make room for new stuff (now you know what that "Page Swap" file is.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
Mod

Computer Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
The key to taking advantage of an SSD is to use it for programs (like the OS) and keep all data on an mechanical HD.
So how much ssd do I really need if win 7 only uses 20GB? And being that I now am only using 70GB after almost two years why would I even need a 500GB HD. It seems like 250 would be more than enough. Other than a screaming CPU and a mid-range GPU I don't want to over spend on stuff I don't need.

Do I really need a 750 watt PS? Are there equal or better and less expensive choices for the MB, cooler and case. I have no problem spending where I need to but equally don't want more than I need.

This is where I'm having a problem, I don't know what's good or not. Just go to a site like newegg, there's hundreds of choices for every item. I just makes my head spin.

Quote:
Do they have anymore fighter type flight games like that these days?
I don't know, I'm not into the shoot-em up fighter thing.

Quote:
Well.. to be honest, unless you have some kind of real-estate problem in your current system, I would just upgrade your motherboard and processor...
Not much real estate in a laptop.