Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |

Compaq Presario issues (1) chugging and (2) Compaq Organizer screen

I own a Compaq Presario computer (purchased it in mid-December 2005). Although these 2 issues have driven me nuts over the years, I just never contacted Compaq directly.

ISSUE 1: After I turn the computer on, it finally (after about 7 minutes) comes up to a Compaq screen (their "Organizer" screen). Waiting for this particular screen to come up might be why it takes about 7 minutes for my computer to finally get to a screen. To me, this takes far too long. I've had 5 computers over the past 15 years, and this is by far the slowest one of them all.

ISSUE 2 (and the issue that drives me nuts the most and is happening to me right now): I've had the computer on for about 45 minutes now and the tower(?) (the box on the floor) is still "chugging along" (it sounds like it's churning and thinking). This happens about 1 out of every 3 times that I turn on the computer (which is daily). The only way that I can attempt to alleviate this situation is restart it---and waiting another 7 minutes for the computer to come up, and then there's the 1-out-of-3 chance that it'll start all over again with the constant chugging.

Can you offer any help with these problems?

proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #2

Blank it and install the OS fresh without any of Compaq's unneeded crap software on it.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the idea, but since I'm simply a novice on this computer, I'm not going to attempt that. I'm lucky to be able to figure out how to email on this thing. Unless other ideas that happen to be much simpler come along, I'll just have to be more patient (or turn on the computer, do a load of clothes, mow the lawn, and then maybe the computer has finally come up ) and just tune out the chugging.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
the Musigician

did the machine do this since new? the first time? or was it 'normal' at first?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #5

It's always been like this.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
the Musigician

and you bought it new? i'd have gone straight back to where i got it and showed them. 30 seconds is too long to wait to get to your desktop IMHO. poppameth has the right idea, though you say you are not capable of this. hmmmm, any 'geeky' friends that can redo your system for you? many premade machines are filled with crap you'll never use as an 'average' user. have them load only what you need.
however, this may or may not be the problem, it's just a logical place to start.
DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #7

I just got some advice to do the following:

1) See if I can locate this "Compaq Organizer" in my startup screen. If so, for me to delete that.

2) See if my computer says that it needs defragging.

I've never heard of these things before (again, I'm definitely a novice), but I've printed out the steps how to do it, so I will attempt them shortly.

Just in case anyone else has similar problems, I'll be sure to post back the results.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #8

Go to Start Button>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Look for Compaq Organize and uninstall it from there. Reboot and see if it helps. I checked into exactly what that program is and it looks like totally unnecessary junk to me. I'd also go to www.pcdecrapifier.com and download the free software there. Run the program and it'll give a whole list of stuff it can get rid of for you that you probably don't need. Look though the list and uncheck anything you do want to keep. Then let it get rid of the rest.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. Here's what I did earlier today from the instructions that I received yesterday:

1) I got rid of the Compaq Organizer by going to the Add/Remove Programs. I restarted the computer and found that the computer does come up about 2 minutes earlier.

2) I checked to see if my system needed defragging. I went through the steps (Disk Defragmenter), but the computer told me that my system did not need defragging. So I didn't do anything there.

The only problem I still have is that chugging issue from the tower. Now, when the system gets to the desktop (which takes 2 or 3 minutes), you can hear the noise coming from the tower that it's still doing something and I also have the hourglass on the monitor. That lasts for about 2 or 3 minutes. So that seems to be the only issue that I have right now, is that chugging issue. I sure don't know how else to describe it, or I could search on the Internet for that problem, but I don't know exactly what it's doing when it's chugging and the hourglass stays up for so long. Any idea what that's called?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by proofer View Post
Thanks for the info. Here's what I did earlier today from the instructions that I received yesterday:

1) I got rid of the Compaq Organizer by going to the Add/Remove Programs. I restarted the computer and found that the computer does come up about 2 minutes earlier.

2) I checked to see if my system needed defragging. I went through the steps (Disk Defragmenter), but the computer told me that my system did not need defragging. So I didn't do anything there.

The only problem I still have is that chugging issue from the tower. Now, when the system gets to the desktop (which takes 2 or 3 minutes), you can hear the noise coming from the tower that it's still doing something and I also have the hourglass on the monitor. That lasts for about 2 or 3 minutes. So that seems to be the only issue that I have right now, is that chugging issue. I sure don't know how else to describe it, or I could search on the Internet for that problem, but I don't know exactly what it's doing when it's chugging and the hourglass stays up for so long. Any idea what that's called?

Do you have any CDs in the CD or DVD drive? How much memory do you have, computer might be swappnig and in need to more RAM.

can you post your machine's specs?
rabih_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #11

First download CCleaner from the following link. Install it without the toolbar when prompter. Run it. On the Cleaner tab, click Analyze then Run Cleaner. Move to the Registry tab. Analyze the registry then Fix all issues. Do this part repeatedly until the analyze function finds no more problems to fix.

http://www.ccleaner.com

Next, download the free disk defragmenter called JKDefrag from the following link. Install it. On the general tab choose Analyze, Defrag, and Fast optimize. Choose your hard drive from the drop down and click run. This will take a while but it's an advanced defragmentation. It'll not only group all the fragmented data together, but will also move the data you use most often the the beginning of the hard drive so that it can be accessed faster. I never trust what Windows defragger says about not needing to defrag. I base it on the percentage reported.

http://www.emro.nl/freeware/
Old 09-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #12

Sorry for the delay. I still have no electricity at home due to the windy conditions we had on Sunday. I am writing this at work.

I did check, but I had no CDs in any drive slots. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post my machine's specs.

Poppameth: I will be sure to follow your instructions once power resumes.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #13

Perhaps reinstall of your OS can solve the problem. you should try installing OS other than Windows. You mus try UBUNTU.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-21-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advetising Link Removed From Signature
wilsonmian is offline   Reply With Quote