Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #1
a sparky

Share |
Exclamation

Comcast Hot Spot in your home! ROB ME!

Just about a week ago, Comcast turned on, an unknown to me, transmitter in the modem I am renting from them. It would broadcast a free, (to Comcast users), WI-FI connection for Comcast users to use. If someone was not a Comcast user, they could pay about $20 a week to use the hotspot in my home.

Wait a minute, did they ask me? No.
Am I getting a break in my internet fees for this? NO.
Can I shut it off? They say yes, but I know better, It won't shut off.

So what does this mean?
If someone has a mobile phone or a tablet with the APP WI-FI Analyzer, they could drive around the streets and find who has a Comcast account.
Why would they do this?
To locate people who are paying for at least the "Blast" level.
So, you say...
Well Think of it this way, if someone can afford "Blast" would they have computers that are needing this level of communication? Gee, maybe targeting them for a home burglary would be a good idea, steal the electronics and fence it for some cash...

Thank you for making me MORE vulnerable...

Any other WI-FI signal is normally "locked down" with passwords and no simple external device can judge the quality of the service and any potential target. Heck, one could have the minimal DSL from the telephone company and still have WI-FI and no simple external device can say what level of service relating to the level of computers at that location...

Think about it....

If you have this "hot spot" service from Comcast, Think hard, if you want them making money off your electricity, location and account without your permission and in the process, making you a target with the "hot-spot" acting like an electronic beacon saying ROB ME!

Last edited by Gerry_D; Yesterday at 09:08 PM. Reason: Toned it down a bit...
Gerry_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerry_D For This Useful Post:
SHR Plumber (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #2

what modem is this ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #3

I have no less than 12 wifi networks I can see in my list of available networks right now. I can see the signal strength too as I could if I drove around the neighborhood and looked like you describe. No, I can't see who their providers are or what level of service they have, but I know nobody uses a wireless router on an old 56k computer either. If somebody uses wifi, they have a modern computer or other device.

If somebody is going to target you for a robbery, its going to be because you either appear to be an easy target, your home has the appearance of having high dollar items, or people are just desperate and stupid. I'd go with number three first. Having wifi of any type is at the bottom of the list for why a thief would pick you.
iminaquagmire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #4
a sparky

Seemingly any of their newer provided modems that have a WI-FI in it.
I have the ARRIS TG862
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

It has been know for over a year, that the Leased devices from Comcast and other ISP's have a hidden WiFi hotspot.

Safe yourself some money and go out and buy your own modem, router, Access Point like I did, when I switched from ATT to CC.

No way can CC add me to their "Mesh" network.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Maybe (just maybe) potential security is not the issue.... but something is wrong with this.

Just thinking out loud.... You are a subscriber, yet they are using you, without your authorization/agreement, as part of their provider services.????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

Do I understand that right
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It has been know for over a year, that the Leased devices from Comcast and other ISP's have a hidden WiFi hotspot.

Safe yourself some money and go out and buy your own modem, router, Access Point like I did, when I switched from ATT to CC.

No way can CC add me to their "Mesh" network.
Greg... I am very ignorent in this domain. Comcast told me that I could not buy a third party modem, or TV digital box, from them or a third party.

We're they BS'ing/ miss-representing/or outright lieing to me.

TIA
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #8
a sparky

Multiple answers here...

MTN REMODEL LLC:
Well yes, they are using me. The whole Idea is good, if they asked permission.

iminaquagmire:

As for the WI-FI networks, apparently Comcast may have not "turned it on" in your area yet, But with the WI-FI Analyzer APP, it does say the name of the network and I believe it shows up named XFINITY WI-FI and you have no access to rename, terminate, shutoff this hidden hotspot. ( at least to do so for mine had no effect except saying "something unexpected happened, try again later."

Also, don't get me wrong, but you may be in a more affluent/safer area with less break ins. Yes, there are multiple WI-FI networks here as well. But only those that are on Comcast with the "Blast" or better level have been activated.

Smart crooks? yes there are some and that is ONLY another concern, it may be less in your area, but in this area, I think it is a valid concern.

I am on that level because of a bundled deal I did when Verizon DSL dropped very low in speed and response times as well as them getting "haughty" with me when I was paying for top tier DSL and barely staying within the middle tier.. Their response was; "well we ONLY have to give you over 1 meg." ( even though I was paying for 3 meg.)

I wish I did a screen grab of the name before the bumblers just disabled mine by giving it a "null name". It is still broadcasting and I can give you screen grabs of that.

gregzoll:

I did not know that. In my area they just recently sent out a letter and just turned it on.

Yep, as soon as financially feasible for an old retired PHART, I will get to buy a modem. I had one from the previous cable company before Comcast bought them out, but gave it away.

This is just a precautionary post for some people.

The nastiest part is that they are charging people to access a hot spot on your property and you get nothing for it.

Discussions earlier this evening with a Comcast technician stated that newer modems use a broadcast in the five Ghz area for the hot-spot and those are set up to NOT subtract from your allotted download bandwidth, but other slightly older modems were turned on as well. Those DO subtract from your download bandwidth and WI-FI bandwidth.

Thanks for your time and interest. If you are a Comcast customer, I urge you to investigate this on your own.

If you are not a Comcast customer, this does not concern you.

Last edited by Gerry_D; Yesterday at 10:44 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #9

But it might concern you, A few years ago my sister was getting rather high user bills for her wi-fi, and she was not using it. Turned out that some neighbors kids discovered her signal, and was using her wi-fi for their enjoyment.

They were arrested for theft, after the ISP did some investigation.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comcast, hotspot, rob me, wifi