Acer Aspire Repair Tip - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,050

Acer Aspire Repair Tip

My Acer Aspire gave up the ghost. With a little research It was recommended by many people to cook the mother board at 200C for 6-8 minutes in the oven. I had nothing to loose so I gutted my laptop and put it in my pizza oven. I'll be damned it worked, my computer works again!! Just wanted to share this little DIY tip. dorf dude... Sorry, no pic's, I left the camera at home.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Acer Aspire Repair Tip

It is the same thing with the Xbox-360. It is supposed to soften up the solder enough to have it reseal, along with the heatsink paste.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Acer Aspire Repair Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It is the same thing with the Xbox-360. It is supposed to soften up the solder enough to have it reseal, along with the heatsink paste.
+1

I bought a cheap heat gun recently. Reading the reviews, some people bought it exclusively to 'fix' their Xbox.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Acer Aspire Repair Tip

I have tried doing this to the video card on an old iBook (yep, an Apple laptop) with short-lived success. I have an HP laptop that could use this fix.

You have to be very careful with this approach, and it is a very specific fix. What you're attempting to do (whether you bake it or use a heat gun) is to reflow the solder on a solder ball-grid array which attaches a chip - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array

You can fry other components or you can overcook the ball-grid array. Usually, using aluminum foil and baking at a certain temperature for a precise amount of time works. Be sure to research your specific problem!
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Acer Aspire Repair Tip

Thanks for the tip... :-)
joseph101 is offline   Reply With Quote