Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

2 modems 1 connection

I am having an issue, right now I have 1 modem (issued from comcast), connected to a wireless router for 4 PCs (2 desk tops and 2 laptops both wireless) my 2 desk tops are wired, one upstairs one down. I also have my PS3 and micro cell tower plugged into the router. The computer upstairs is connected via 50' of ethernet cable and the PS3 that is up stairs, is not connected

We have yet another wireless router on the way along with 2 USB dongles, the idea was to plug the new router into the old and place that one upstairs so my sister can plug her PS3 in and run her iphone through it and also so my mom has a stronger connection on her laptop.

I previously had another wired router plugged into the wireless but it started to mess up so I removed it.

So I had a question, if the new wireless dual band N router we got coming in along with the N adapters DO NOT WORK for both floors, I thought about getting a second modem and run the upstairs stuff on one and the basement stuff on the other. Would this even work?

I issue I have is the concrete floor and steel plate holding the concrete up which makes wireless a PITA

Thoughts? My IP is comcast

ajtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

2 modems 1 connection

In order to use 2 modems, you would have to be paying for two connections from Comcast.

McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
ajtool (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

2 modems 1 connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
In order to use 2 modems, you would have to be paying for two connections from Comcast.
I feel like I am doing that already

Hope the new router gets along with the old one, or I am going to have to come up with a plan "B"
ajtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

2 modems 1 connection

The trick, generally, is that only one router should have anything connected to its "internet" or WAN port. That router should be connected to the cable modem. All other routers should be connected to it, by plugging in to the PC/LAN ports on them. Also, the DHCP server on all routers except the first one should be disabled. This ensures that only the main router is handing out IP address, and all the other routers are acting as simple network switches and wireless access points.

Sometimes, when connecting from a LAN port on one router to a LAN port on another, you may need a crossover cable instead of a regular cable.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Citrix & Cisco Ops

2 modems 1 connection

Just so I understand correctly: Your 50' cat5 run connects your upstairs computer to your downstairs router, correct?

I know you've already sunk the money into the new router, but one option is to buy a small 5-port 10/100 switch, hook it up upstairs, and connect your PC to it. Then you have the option of buying a Wireless Access Point - inexpensive - and running it into that switch.

Depending on the router, wireless-equipped systems would probably see the upstairs WAP as a different wireless network, but when they connect to it and go out to the internet, they'll be using the downstairs router as the default gateway. Some wireless routers can be configured for 'WAP mode' so you might be able to get away with using the old router to do this.

Saves you the trouble of having to tier your network with multiple routers. (I do it all the time with Cisco routers but I'd never try it with stuff you'd find in best buy - you might as well hook them up to an outlet timer to keep them power-cycling.)

Last edited by RedHelix; 09-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #6

2 modems 1 connection

Can you tell what model of your wireless router(actually have upstair) ? Depending on the model which sometime you can have the option to set it as an Wireless Access Point (no DHCP).

Then you can use your old Wire Router as primary (down stair, link with Modem, DHCP enable). Use your 50' cable link the Wire and Wireless by pluging to any LAN port.

I presum that you already configure the SIDD of your Wireless Router. So any wireless device (laptop) connects to that SIDD will have an IP from the Wire Router.

Same setup for the basement's devices.

hope will help

AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comcast, ethernet, modem, router, wireless