Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Yeah, I'll do it myself.

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

I'm waiting to go HD until a few more titles are released and blu-ray wins the war, but is it worth it to upgrade from an HD-ready CRT TV to an LCD flat screen? I've got HDMI inputs so I'm ready for when TV broadcasts make the switch in 2009, but I don't know that my Standard DVDs will look much better on a "true" HD tv.

mandisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Electrician

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandisaur View Post
I'm waiting to go HD until a few more titles are released and blu-ray wins the war, but is it worth it to upgrade from an HD-ready CRT TV to an LCD flat screen? I've got HDMI inputs so I'm ready for when TV broadcasts make the switch in 2009, but I don't know that my Standard DVDs will look much better on a "true" HD tv.

Umm, not everything is going HD in 2009, only digital, its a big difference.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Yeah, I'll do it myself.

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Umm, not everything is going HD in 2009, only digital, its a big difference.
Well, that's true, although HD broadcasts will dominate the airwaves...the tv does have a digital tuner. And that doesn't really answer my question.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #4

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

In my area, Flat model LCDs have dropped 1/2 price during a 1 year period. In 1 more year, I figure it will drop 1/2 (to today's normal selling price). Thus, I'm holding off for 1 more year. And by then, the quality of current brands of LCDs will be better known. For me, I'm holding off. Going to wait 1 year or until our CRT's current cracked speaker is fully gong (which ever comes first).
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Yeah, I'll do it myself.

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

That's a good point Spike, more or less what I'm thinking as well, unless I suddenly inherit a sum that begs to be spent on a plasma...
Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #6

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Quote:
IMO, no. I'm selling my 1st gen Aquos to make room for my old Sony CRT. It looked better, HD or not. Your TV will handle the 09 switch just fine and as said before, the longer you wait, the cheaper and better the set will be. Heck, by 09 OLED sets will be getting affordable. Who knows what will be going on then. I think it was LG (IIRC) that just released a two sided LCD and one panel that can display 3 different videos simultaneously that can be viewed individually from 3 different viewing angles. The technology is still moving forward and will only get cheaper and better.

Personally, I don't care for the LCD sets. A Sony 46" fed by a off air HD antennae was the best looking picture I had seen until I saw the new Elite 1080P plasma sets. I hate Pioneer with a passion but they make good looking TV's.

"but I don't know that my Standard DVDs will look much better on a "true" HD tv."

They will not look ANY better unless you have a "upscaling" dvd player and even then the difference will be negligible. With SD sources it could look much worse than your CRT actually.

Wait it out.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Yeah, I'll do it myself.

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze View Post
Personally, I don't care for the LCD sets. A Sony 46" fed by a off air HD antennae was the best looking picture I had seen until I saw the new Elite 1080P plasma sets. I hate Pioneer with a passion but they make good looking TV's.
Hey, keyser soze! Finally a reference I get...

I've noticed the same thing about the LCD sets, they've always seemed kind of iffy to me. They've got CRT models that claim to display 1080i and seem to do so just as well if not better. Haven't seen those new Pioneers yet, though.

Wait it out I shall.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 80

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Quote:
Well, that's true, although HD broadcasts will dominate the airwaves...the tv does have a digital tuner. And that doesn't really answer my question.
HD will not dominate the airwaves. Only difference, is that instead of Analog signal going through the air from the Broadcasters, it will 1's and 0's.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #9

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

By far, you will get your best HD picture from a CRT set. Better than Plasma, better than LCD. I am talking about a GOOD CRT set, not junk.

As far as a blown speaker, why not just replace the speaker? Most are not that expensive.

Also, keep this in mind. There are tons of CRT TVs out there that are over 20 years old, and still plugging along. I will be surprised if any of the LCD or Plasma sets will last even 10 years. As a matter of fact, a lot of them are not even lasting through their warranty period. Chinese junk......
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofusmosby View Post
By far, you will get your best HD picture from a CRT set. Better than Plasma, better than LCD. I am talking about a GOOD CRT set, not junk....
Thanks for the laugh. You really do not know what you are talking about.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #11

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

I am a professional TV tech, and have over 33 years experience. What do you have to back up your opinion? When it comes to questions about home repair, I ask the pros, but now you are talking about MY profession. In this area, I am the pro. Its obvious that you have never seen a high quality HD CRT direct view set side by side with an LCD or Plasma.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Yes I have, and only when coupled with a Line quadruplers, or Scalar, then the quality is comparable with high quality Plasma & LED engine LCD sets. It still will not make for a better quality then a Plasma or LED LCD, LCos or DLP set.

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-19-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #13

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Lets see now. I own an LCOS set, and have compared the picture. I work on all the others all the time. Just on straight rabbit ears, the HD CRT set is better. As far as the LCD projection sets, I am not impressed with what I have seen. You will NEVER get the clarity or brilliance with any projection set that will equal a direct view HD CRT set. Now, don't get me wrong. These other sets you mentioned DO have a good picture, but when they are lined up side-by-side, there is a difference.

Speaking of DLP sets, there is a small percentage of people that can not even watch these sets. Some peoples eyes can not be fooled by the illusion of the DLP, and all they see are rainbow colors. I had a customer a while back that brought in his DLP set for repair. There was nothing wrong with his set. When the customer came to pick up his set, he says "look at that horrible picture. All I see is rainbow colors". The picture looked great. Most will never see this though.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #14

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

sony 1080p. nuff said.
david81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #15

Worth upgrading CRT TV?

Thats a good set David...for sure.