Wiring Up A New System - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Wiring up a new system

We are remodeling the living room and moving the TV to a new wall. I am planning on adding the surround speakers to the ceiling for a cleaner look, and I know ideally they should be just above ear level, but this will have to work. I am hoping to run the wires in the wall, but it is an exterior wall with insulation in it. I will also have to add an outlet to the wall to power everything. I am going to run another pair of speaker wires up for outdoor speakers as well. In addition I am going to run some coax cable down the wall from our antennae that will be on the roof. Can I run all these wires pretty much together? Should the power wiring be on the other side of stud?

Are there any outlet/box covers that I can install that will combine 4 speakers and acoax for a cleaner look? Any help appreciated

Advertisement

mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wiring up a new system

Combination boxes exist. They will have a partition to segregate the wire types. The wires can all be in the same stud, but not through the same holes. They should never make contact while running parallel but it is okay to cross perpendicular.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Wiring up a new system

If they are going to the same box, how can I be sure they arent touching behind the wall? Where can I get a combo wall plate, cant seem to find any
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wiring up a new system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereno1 View Post
If they are going to the same box, how can I be sure they arent touching behind the wall? Where can I get a combo wall plate, cant seem to find any
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
http://www.aifittings.com/whnew76.htm
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #5

Wiring up a new system

Having a bit of a problem getting the wires up the wall into the attic. 2 things, first I think I am able to get the fish tape all the way up the wall, but i am trying to drill from the attic down into the space behind the drywall and it doesnt seem to be working. When drilling down through the 2x4 I hit some metal, which was really thin, and then more wood. I am through about 6 inches of wood and its still not into the space. How thick is the wood supposed to be here, its a exterior wall. There is also a power wire going down about 2 feet from where I am drilling down, but there is no outlet on that wall, any idea what that could be going to?

Should I just get a longer bit and keep drilling?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wiring up a new system

The top plate should be 3" two 2X4 1 1/2 X 2 = 3" If you are getting more wood you could be lined up with a rafter end. Move the hole by 2-3 inches. Still will be near imposible to reach this in the attic. Easier to cut a slice in the drywall and make the patch. Be sure to place a metal plate over the wire to protect it where you notch the top plates.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote