Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Share |

wireless speaker

This is simple but a hard question
I have a 1/2 deaf father in law 92 y/old his hearing is bad ( WWII B 24, guy his only good ear left, he has very poor vision, almost blind, so he sits 3 feet from a blasting TV. I can walk up behind him and he won't hear me yelling Hi Dad!!
I have thought of getting him a set of those TV head phones but he's not interested in having to use headsets. Then I saw the set you hook onto your chair using bluetooth but I would have to buy both pair for $240.00. I called and they would sell me just one ear for $220.00 This is exactly what i'm looking for but the cost is way too much.
So I was thinking I bet there's someone who has done this a lot cheeper.
Maybe buying the TV ears and wiring these to a small speaker to hang on the left side of his chair by his good ear, if the volume was there, I thought of running a wire from the TV speaker Jack plug but he would have to step over the wiring and would trip.
I think he would remember to recharge the batteries alright on the TV ears.
But i don't think they have the needed volume. I would hate to buy them destroy the ear phones and find their to weak and no volume control also.
Should I look for a certain power rating ?
i'm
Open for you spark's out there to suggest something
Radio Shack is right down the road.
thanks.

Deck hand

Last edited by deck hand; 11-04-2013 at 04:43 PM.
deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #2

wireless speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck hand View Post
This is simple but a hard question
I have a 1/2 deaf father in law 92 y/old his hearing is bad ( WWII B 24, guy his only good ear left, he has very poor vision, almost blind, so he sits 3 feet from a blasting TV. I can walk up behind him and he won't hear me yelling Hi Dad!!
I have thought of getting him a set of those TV head phones but he's not interested in having to use headsets. Then I saw the set you hook onto your chair using bluetooth but I would have to buy both pair for $240.00. I called and they would sell me just one ear for $220.00 This is exactly what i'm looking for but the cost is way too much.
So I was thinking I bet there's someone who has done this a lot cheeper.
Maybe buying the TV ears and wiring these to a small speaker to hang on the left side of his chair by his good ear, if the volume was there, I thought of running a wire from the TV speaker Jack plug but he would have to step over the wiring and would trip.
I think he would remember to recharge the batteries alright on the TV ears.
But i don't think they have the needed volume. I would hate to buy them destroy the ear phones and find their to weak and no volume control also.

i'm
Open for you spark's out there to suggest something
Radio Shack is right down the road.
thanks.

Deck hand
Ok I found some units for $59.00 the only draw back is they take 4 to 8 c batteries that last only 7 hours.
But still looking.
deck hand

Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
registered

wireless speaker

i bought my father a set of cordless head phones he seems to like them They weren't cheap. Bought on amazon. They rechargeable. He isn't death. But he is amazed how he can now hear everything. I'm trying to remember. I think they were Sennheiser(could be spelled wrong) digital 170. Something like this. He very happy

Ps. My grammar is terrible the older i get.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

wireless speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
i bought my father a set of cordless head phones he seems to like them They weren't cheap. Bought on amazon. They rechargeable. He isn't death. But he is amazed how he can now hear everything. I'm trying to remember. I think they were Sennheiser(could be spelled wrong) digital 170. Something like this. He very happy

Ps. My grammar is terrible the older i get.
Just wait it gets worse with names too!
My doctor told me not to worry until I sit in the john and forget why I was there.
Thanks
Deck Hand
Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #5

wireless speaker

What about one of those gaming chairs with speakers built into it?

Wireless headphones are usually junk unless you pay big $$ for them. And then you're paying for high fidelity (which is unfortunately lost on your dad
AJPLeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #6

wireless speaker

Been there, done that.

My father in-law wa dead set against using headphones. I have a set in my bedroom for those times when I want to watch something on the tube, and the wife want to sleep, or vice versa.

Took my headphones to his place, hooked them up and said "Here, try these things, I need some at home and want to know what you think of them.".

He put them on, listened for a bit, then asked if I could get him some....

Sennheiser is the way to go.

The RS110, or RS120 won't break the bank, and they are great quality.

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote