Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
E-lec-tri-city

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

What type of cable to install for a whole house rewire?

I already have CAT-6 for network and CAT-5e for the phones. I plan on a home-run type wiring setup into a Leviton Structured Media enclosure. I bought a 500 foot spool of RG6, but I'm wondering if I should take it back and get the RG6U Quad-shield instead that costs about $25 more.

This is the first time the walls have been opened in 45 years and it may be another 45 years before they're opened again. I want to do it right and plan for the future (ergo the choice of CAT-6 for data, for example).

brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I went with RG6U Quad-shield
1st floor I left what was there - since I have access from the basement

2nd floor I also have access with 10' conduit I ran
But since 2nd floor was not wired I went with the Quad
I only went with 5e, since I have access I can run newer if needed
It's been my experience in that by the time some new tech has come out new wire is out too
So I don't go with the higher rated PC network cable
Phone I had a 1000' roll of Cat3 leftover so I used that

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
E-lec-tri-city

Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

What kind of wiring cabinet are you using?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #4

I'm not using a cabinet
Phone wire is simply connected to a terminal block
Network wire I have a 24 port punch down
I'll need to add another 24 port in the future
I activate whatever ports I need

This is all located in my utility room
Phone & Network are on the same 4x8 plywood as my electric panel & FIOS setup

The cable is run further away from the panel & the wires/connection are up in the joists
I'll need to add an 8-way splitter in the future

I looked into panels...but I decided mosty were too small for what I want
I may eventually build a cabinet on the wall w/1x6 pine & put a door on it

But since its all in a utility room which has a door & closed off from the rest of the basement I probably will not
And its just one more door that will get in my way when I want to wire
Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
E-lec-tri-city

I don't really have a utility area where I can just throw punchdown blocks into, I need something like a structured cabinet to make it look neat and organized. I would do it your way if I could though, it would be cheaper.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

ever considered using a patch panel mounted in a wall? Makes for a very clean setup.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brons2 View Post
I don't really have a utility area where I can just throw punchdown blocks into, I need something like a structured cabinet to make it look neat and organized. I would do it your way if I could though, it would be cheaper.
Go buy a cabinet door that you like that is big enough
Use 1x's to build a frame & put the door on
A small structured cabinet can go for $100+
Then usually you have to buy all of their add-ons that fit in that cabinet
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

You can get an 18" Rough-In can and an 8x8 combo telephone and cable splitter for pretty cheap. With you living in Texas and not having a basement this is a good solution. You can put the box in a spare closet somewhere, make all your connections, close the door and never worry about it again. You will want to run electrical to the can. It will have a knock out in it for an electrical plug. This comes in good use when you want to network out of it by installing your modem there.
khawk1664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
E-lec-tri-city

I have a 42" can, LOL.

Trying to decide where to put it. I'm going gigabit throughout on my wired Ethernet, so I'm trying to leave lots of room for airflow. Need to get me some sort of fanless switch.

[edit] I will also get some kind of power in there and put my cable modem in there as well. I'm going to run at least two RG-6 to the demarc as I currently have satellite TV and cable Internet.

Then for wireless I need an AP I can just feed back into the switch...which reminds me, I need a layer 3 switch, proally whip up something open source.

Probably just get some 66 blocks for the phone.

Not sure if I need to amplify the TV, I'm thinking no, just split it. The big question is, run two cables per outlet or one. Probably two, if I have enough cable left.

Last edited by brons2; 02-25-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #10

For the coax question, plain RG6 is just fine. That's what you'll have feeding the house as well. Quad shield is never necessary unless a) you want to feel a false sense of security in signal quality, or b) you're living 2 feet within a power-plant turbine.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #11

With a 10% off coupon the price of the quad was equal to the reg RG6 normal price
Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
With a 10% off coupon the price of the quad was equal to the reg RG6 normal price
If the price ends up being the same, then there's nothing wrong with buying it. Just don't expect any difference whatsoever in signal quality and power.

Here's something to keep in mind: RG-6 aerial cable is not quad shield (not in the system I work for, and as far as I know, other systems such as Comcast do not use quad-shield either). Now keep in mind, the drop cable is a minimum of 18 inches (or less, depending on how the cable is anchored to the pole/strand) below power. There is far more current and voltage running through a power transmission line, than through a household outlet. Signal degradation does not exist with coax that is a foot or so from high-voltage, uninsulated, unshielded power transmission lines, so you have NOTHING at all to worry about in a household.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
E-lec-tri-city

I took the RG6 back and got the quad-shield, the difference in price was inconsequential. I'll sleep better knowing it is quad-shield!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brons2 View Post
I took the RG6 back and got the quad-shield, the difference in price was inconsequential. I'll sleep better knowing it is quad-shield!
Could you please explain why it'll help you sleep better? There really is 0 difference when it comes to protection. Regular already has a foil shield (which in itself is usually enough to stop most interference), and then on top of that has an aluminum braid (this certainly finishes the protection off). To me, quad-shield is more of a marketing hype. "Monster cables" comes to mind for this as well, but that's a different topic for a different day.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #15

Works for me

Quote:
So, what's the result of these differences in shielding? Engineers measure the effectiveness of a shield by what is termed "transfer impedance," which indicates the extent to which a signal outside of the cable reaches the inside. Transfer impedance is a function of frequency, so to gauge the relative effectiveness of shields, one has to know what the frequency band in question is, but at all frequencies, a precision video cable with a 95% braid and foil outperforms quad shield cable. The following table is taken (with permission of the author) from the Audio/Video Cable Installer's Pocket Guide, McGraw-Hill 2002, by Stephen Lampen, an engineer with Belden Wire and Cable. It shows the transfer impedance for various shield configurations on RG-6 type cables at various frequencies; the lower the number, the better.

Shield Type 5 MHz 10 MHz 50 MHz 100 MHz 500 MHz

.........................Bonded Foil + 60% Braid..... 20.... 15... 11.... 20... 50
..................Tri-Shield + 60% Braid.. 3...... 2 .....0.8 ......2 .......12
........Quad Shield 60% + 40% Braid.... 2.. 0.8 ......0.2 .....0.3 .....10
................Tri-Shield + 80% Braid.... 1... 0.6... 0.1.... 0.2 .......2
..........................Bonded Foil + 95% Braid... 1... 0.5... 0.08.... 0.09..... 1

well that quote didn't work too good