Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What are the Best In-Ceiling Speakers?

Hi,

My walls are completely open so I am going to install in ceiling speakers while they are. I looked online for the best reviewed 6.5" speakers and found a few that sounded good.

Here's one that I am considering: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030C...d=RRIDS6WGE70K

They are Yamaha 3-way speakers. There's also a JBL speaker that's well rated but doesn't come in a discounted multi pack like this. Unfortunately Yamaha only has a 3 month warranty and jbl warranty is 5 yrs.

Let me know your opinions and experiences please.

Thanks!

What I am confused about is whether I should get 2-way or 3-way? 3-way seems to be more dynamic sound.

psubaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I am curious are you just using the speakers for music or for a home theater system? What are you going to use to power them? Large room or small?
Ken

kleakak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

Hi,

They are for my living room, dining room, kitchen, and basement theater room. I want to play both music through the house and use the living room and basement for theater. The living room and basement are both around 14' x 20' each and the dining room and kitchen are average sizes of roughly 14' x 10'.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Well you have some work cut out for you. Jbl's are nice klipsch makes a great sounding speaker, if you are on a tight budget I would recommend going to a local dealer who sells a/v and alarm material and ask them whAt they have, proficient makes a great speaker a niles is good but can be pricey. What ever you do in your home theater room us make a good match with the entire room . You will also need a multiroom system thy can power and match Impedance of the speakers. Good luck
kleakak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psubaron View Post
Hi,

My walls are completely open so I am going to install in ceiling speakers while they are. I looked online for the best reviewed 6.5" speakers and found a few that sounded good.

Here's one that I am considering: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030C...d=RRIDS6WGE70K

They are Yamaha 3-way speakers. There's also a JBL speaker that's well rated but doesn't come in a discounted multi pack like this. Unfortunately Yamaha only has a 3 month warranty and jbl warranty is 5 yrs.

Let me know your opinions and experiences please.

Thanks!

What I am confused about is whether I should get 2-way or 3-way? 3-way seems to be more dynamic sound.
I'll suggest you to go for JBL speakers as they are giving 5 years warranty and have better sound quality then Yamaha..!!
2011 Best Digital Cameras

Last edited by Hodge; 09-19-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #6

I went with the Yamaha 3-way in-ceiling speakers and have been using them for a year now. The sound is so incredible that several family members had me install them in their theatre rooms and they sounded amazing as a 7.1 and 5.1 setup.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

I'm interested in doing this downstairs in my basement since it has a drop ceiling. What did you guys end up spending all said and done? I'm not sure how many speakers I would need to get. I'm thinking 4, but the area is smallish. I'm also not sure what I'd be "getting myself into" in terms of how much receivers cost that would work. Any insight from those who've been there, done that?
roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

How big is the basement room? Are you planning on installing a theater room or just speakers for TV and stereo?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by psubaron View Post
How big is the basement room? Are you planning on installing a theater room or just speakers for TV and stereo?
I'm not entirely sure. We moved in January, and I've been spending my time redoing the upstairs. The downstairs is yet to be determined. Right now there's some workout equipment, and that equipment may very well stay since the living room upstairs is pretty well done. I don't see much point in having a home theatre setup in the living room AND downstairs in the basement... perhaps when I have a bunch of kids and need an entertaining wreck room I'll change my opinion, though!

If I had to guess the size I'd say it's about 15x15.
roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

For good sound two speakers and the TV as the center would give.you great stereo sound but 4 speakers (two front, two rear) and using your TV as the.center would be incredible surround. Cost for 6 speakers would be about $300, $50-150 for a powered subwoofer, and you can get a great Yamaha receiver for around $200-300. This is all you need and want. Just need to determine the right installation pattern for your space.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

I love monoprice in-wall speakers. Have used the in-ceiling ones as well and for the price, you can't beat 'em.

Setzer1994 is offline   Reply With Quote