Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

Theater Saga and More

Today.

Last edited by Teddy1; 04-16-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #2

Theater Saga and More

More Pictures.

Last edited by Teddy1; 04-16-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #3

Theater Saga and More

More Pictures 2.

Last edited by Teddy1; 04-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Theater Saga and More

You do realize that wall you opened up is a Load bearing structure. Don't you?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

Theater Saga and More

Also including a list of products with prices.

Last edited by Teddy1; 04-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You do realize that wall you opened up is a Load bearing structure. Don't you?
Yes. Like I said it's been fine for the past 2 years so far. I will reinforce it properly when I open it all up.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy1 View Post
Yes. Like I said it's been fine for the past 2 years so far. I will reinforce it properly when I open it all up.
You may think that it has been fine in the past two years. But looking at your photos, it clearly shows that it is not.

You can see from the drywall showing the joists pushing down on it, due to you removed the Load bearing area, that the upper floor is pushing downwards in that room.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
You may think that it has been fine in the past two years. But looking at your photos, it clearly shows that it is not.

You can see from the drywall showing the joists pushing down on it, due to you removed the Load bearing area, that the upper floor is pushing downwards in that room.
No, actually it is perfectly straight. If you don't have anything to offer in regards to what I asked here I would appreciate it if you would keep your comments to yourself.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
No, actually it is perfectly straight. If you don't have anything to offer in regards to what I asked here I would appreciate it if you would keep your comments to yourself.
No it is not straight. Look at the last picture you posted. You can clearly see downward stress being placed in the joists going from the outside wall, to that Load Bearing wall, that you removed a section out of.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #10

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
No it is not straight. Look at the last picture you posted. You can clearly see downward stress being placed in the joists going from the outside wall, to that Load Bearing wall, that you removed a section out of.
I just checked it with a 4' level as I have been periodically. It's perfectly straight and level. It is not sagging at all. Maybe you need to go see your optometrist?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Mod

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
I have structural concerns also. I think you should be taking care of the bones of your house first and foremost before even thinking about putting the icing on the cake.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Theater Saga and More

Why did you delete the pictures. Now I guess we can close this thread. Since you do not like the comments.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I have structural concerns also. I think you should be taking care of the bones of your house first and foremost before even thinking about putting the icing on the cake.

No more pictures. I guess the OP realized where this was going. They may have meant good in what they did. But did not realize what danger they placed on the structure.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #14

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post

No, that is not what I needed or wanted to hear. I am regretting that I bothered to take the time to post on this forum. I didn't post here to get some old trolls telling me that my top plate is sagging when I know that it is not.

I already acknowledged in my first post that I knew I took out a portion of the bearing wall and was going to build it up properly later. I didn't post here to get a lecture on structure, nor do I need one. I wanted help with some of the setup of my theater and networking.

I have taken everything down and I won't be posting on this forum again.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Theater Saga and More

Quote:
I just checked it with a 4' level as I have been periodically. It's perfectly straight and level. It is not sagging at all. Maybe you need to go see your optometrist?
My eyesight is good. My mother's father was one of the largest contractors in Illinois.

You could tell from the last picture, that there is sag in the middle of the room, and that the joists are pushing down on the drywall.

Drywall tells a lot. Especially when the lighting is just right, when a picture is taken. Even without seeing the joists where they were pushing down against the drywall. Just looking at the floor plan and the fact that you removed a wall on the Center Line, where the two sets of joists going across the house rests.

You have caused a lot of structural issues. Suggest you reinforce on both sides of that opening, and putting the joists back in were they where when the house was built.

The key is if you wanted to showcase this. You would not have shown the floor plans and unfinished wall, along with lighting that shows where the stress of the floor joists are pushing downwards.

Closed Thread