Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #1

Share |

Surround Sound Install

I'm finishing up on building a new house and I bought a new surround sound system 7.1. I would rather mount the rear and center right - left speakers in attic instead of having them hanging of wall. Anyone have any input on the best way to mount wall mount speaker in attic. My house is insulated with spray foam on the under side of roof, making the complete interior of structure air conditioned, so there is no insulation to deal with. I'm thinking of buying ceiling mount speaker covers and just place speakers laying over covers possibly cutting out foam board to get tight fit around speaker.
My surround sound system is a complete system out of the box, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120144. Want to attaching Sketch picture off my computer not from http: but don't know how??

jburd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #2

Surround Sound Install

I think it's not a good idea. Speakers should be firmly mounted. Bring the wire through the drywall(or install a plate) and attach the speaker with a bracket. Most ceiling speakers mount to the drywall and the cover snaps into it, so finding just a "cover" would be difficult.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Surround Sound Install

Those speakers seem to be rather small. I don't think you'd have much issue with actually installing them if they were laying on a grate, like you described.

However, I would wonder how well the sound would transmit. With a smaller speaker like that, it needs to be pretty-much aimed directly at the seating area. Having it firing towards the floor from the ceiling may not give you very good sound.

From my experience with the Onkyo speakers that come in their packages - they are not very good, especially the surrounds. You might consider actually getting in-ceiling speakers if you want them mounted in a non-visible location. Polk and Yamaha both make decent offerings in the not-insane priceranges. Avoid the no-names. Either that or mount these on the wall, aimed at the seating area.

They are not very big, you could also cut out some small "niches" in the drywall and put these "recessed" into the wall. That would probably give you better sound than in the ceiling, and still let you hide them behind an in-wall grate if you wanted.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
the Musigician

Surround Sound Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd964 View Post
Want to attach Sketch picture off my computer not from http: but don't know how??
to do this easily, hit 'post reply' (not 'quick reply')
type message, below is button for 'manage attachments'
upload from there, hit submit and finish.

DM
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #5

Surround Sound Install

I originally bought Polk to mounting in ceiling. But after looking at box system compared to buying individual components, I decided to buy the box. I still have that as a option, just wanting to keep system together.
jburd964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic, hdmi, home theater, speakers, surround sound