Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Suggestionsfor a new home theatre

I have decided to convert one of my small bedrooms into a home theatre. I have a budget of no more than $2000. Any suggestions for a TV and a sound system?

rex-in-ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,240

a small room. well, you don't need any large expensive stuff.

DO NOT buy BOSE = WAY to expensive for what you get.
do not buy "home theater in a box" = low quality.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-02-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 586

Onkyo ht-s9400thx. Got mine for $500, but it's normally more. You won't be disappointed, especially in a small room.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Onkyo ht-s9400thx. Got mine for $500, but it's normally more. You won't be disappointed, especially in a small room.
for a $2000 complete system = that is way too much.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-in-ga View Post
I have decided to convert one of my small bedrooms into a home theatre. I have a budget of no more than $2000. Any suggestions for a TV and a sound system?
$2000 is around what we spent just on the Speakers, AV Receiver and Blu-Ray player alone.

Personally I do not like it when you see converted bedrooms, and they have blocked over the windows. Even worse is the sub-woofers up against the cabinet that the equipment is in, that the tv sits on, and the front speakers up against the sub.

I think that I may have pictures of my setup on here. Mine is a Denon AV-1612, Sony BDP-S590 Blu-Ray, Center speaker is a Klipsch RC-42 II, Fronts are Klipsch RB-81 II's, Rear Surrounds are Klipsch RB-41 II's.

For normal tv viewing, we are just using a Vizio Sound bar with wireless Subwoofer.

The RB-81's put out enough Bass, that I do not need a Sub-woofer for my setup. The Vizio Soundbar Sub puts out enough bass, that the wife has to tell me to turn it down late at night.

Our Living Room is 14x16, with an arch going into the Dining area. All of the sound footprint stays in the Living Room area.

My daughter was impressed this past weekend, when we were watching Catching Fire.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
Not when you actually price it out. $2000 gets you a decent system, with still room to grow and change.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Cheapest right now is $770. That leaves $1300 for a TV which isn't bad at all for someone keeping it simple. If you get it on sale it would be even better. Look up reviews, it's the best you're gonna get for the money and no worries about piecing it together. The speakers are big though.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #8

i said, a $500 receiver for a $2000 complete system, is too much. i know i could build a resspectable system for $2000. but it couldn't play nearly as loud and clear and mine does.

my 2 subs are over $2000(and i am going to double them some day). the front speakers, about $1500, 5 years ago. XPA-3 amp, screen and projector about $2000. pioneer elite receiver, sony BD player.

you guys 'hear" gun shots and explosions. i FEEL them !

anyway. $2000 well spent, "properly" set up, in a small room. i could enjoy that.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #9

It's not a receiver, it's a 7.1 surround sound full setup. It's honestly amazing for the price.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
It's not a receiver, it's a 7.1 surround sound full setup. It's honestly amazing for the price.
Personally I do not like to suggest HTiB setups. Due to the speakers are always the lowest quality.

For $1100, you would be best to spend that much on just a good quality AVRS. The Speakers are the deal breaker when it comes to making the system sound right.

Even if you had say 2 subs. It is all about the many factors that you have to look at. Room construction, furnishings, speaker quality, AVRS quality, material you are going to watch or listen to, and finally device you are using to playback the material with.

And personally with how bad of reviews that the Onkyo AVRS's are getting. You are better off spending your money on the Integra line.

I only deal with a local mom & pop AV shop, that has been in our town since 1971, if I cannot get the items I need through Crutchfield.

When I was going through the whole setup & purchase process, I only dealt with the local Mom & Pop here in town for the Speakers. I got the Denon AVRS through Crutchfield, due to I could not pass up the price they had the AVR-1612 at the time I got it.

I still have a second set of RB-41 II's downstairs, for when I decide to get a amp for the Front Height's. As it stands right now, it works really well for what we invested into it.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #11

I wouldn't recommend getting it at $1100, but at $500-$800 it's very nice. I assume the OP is looking for cheap and easy with good results and this delivers. I have read about issues with the boards in the receivers. Crossing my fingers. I have heard $5000-$6000 setups that friends have and I don't see much of a difference except the sub is a little lacking, but I have only used mine with open walls and roxul exposed. I assume with everything finished it will be better.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
i looked it up. not bad. i could live with that, for a humble(to me) system.
but it looks like the THX standard is getting pretty low. for that price, a second sub and a nice TV

greg
the last "mom & pop" shop around here, GILL CUSTOM HOUSE , closed well over 10 years ago. i bought my PRO LOGIC receiver from them.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
I have heard $5000-$6000 setups that friends have and I don't see much of a difference except the sub is a little lacking,
then we both know of people that don't know how to spend and use what they have. my system would BLOW YOU AWAY .
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Quote:
i looked it up. not bad. i could live with that, for a humble(to me) system.
but it looks like the THX standard is getting pretty low. for that price, a second sub and a nice TV

greg
the last "mom & pop" shop around here, GILL CUSTOM HOUSE , closed well over 10 years ago. i bought my PRO LOGIC receiver from them.
There is still one up by my Brother in Law's, in the Palatine area. He of course lives in Kildere.

Sundown One here in Springfield has been known to travel up to Chicago or down to St. Louis, for delivery of equipment, along with Home Theater setups.

Last time I was in there when they still had Plasma's on their walls. They had a 55" for under $900, for a Mid line Panasonic. Their prices are a little lower then Best Buy. But their service is what makes the business still operate.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #15

i ain't drivin up norf for stuff i can get on the net. there are 2 other places around here, THE LITTLE GUYS, and KOLE DIGITAL. but i can't afford most of what they have.