DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Speaker wire

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MinConst 
#1 ·
I realize this is a VERY basic question, but I guess that is where my knowledge is at when it comes to this. I have a Sony 5.1 home theater system, and I am moving it into my basement. With the new placement the wires are not long enough. They are the very small (24 guage I believe) wires, with color coded plastic contectors that go into the rear of the DVD player/theater system.

With those connectors present, what is the best way to add length to the wires? Also, is there a way (and is it necessary) to upgrade to better grade wires? If so, how do I do that (again with the plastic connectors)? Thanks alot for any help you can provide!!

#2 ·
You can and probably should upgrade the wire. The connector types are many. Most are called RCA type and can be soldered onto the new wire. Best bet would be to take the existing wire to a store. Maybe Radio Shack and match up the connectors. Buy wire and new connectors and make them up to the length needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.