Soundbars - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soundbars

Any recommendations for a nice sound bar / woofer combo that won't break the bank?

I know that will eliminate Bose, Sonos and all other high ends brands.

thanks,

Advertisement

theycallmehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 266

Soundbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmehawk
Any recommendations for a nice sound bar / woofer combo that won't break the bank?

I know that will eliminate Bose, Sonos and all other high ends brands.

thanks,
Bose a high end brand? Not in a million years. Bose is all marketing, and they are very good at it. They do make some decent products but they are priced about four times what they are worth. One thing most people don't notice is that Bose does not publish performance specifications like the majority of audio manufacturers do. That is because their speakers do not reproduce the entire audible spectrum. My advice is to stay away from Bose entirely. For great performance and value check out Definitive Technology products.
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/sound-bars/
Their cheapest sound bar is $799, which is not cheap, but it would sound great. Or, you could get three ProMonitor 800's at $145 each, and one of their cheaper powered subs and have much better separation of the front left / right channels. I own a pair and they sound excellent with lots of clarity and punch, but they do need a sub to fill out the lower octaves.

Advertisement

Last edited by Dave Sal; 05-28-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Soundbars

"Won't break the bank" is too ambiguous of a price range to offer suggestions. What is the amount you'd like to pay? What is the maximum you would pay?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Soundbars

I have a Vizio E series 2.1 Soundbar with Sub-Woofer. Pretty much 99% of our tv viewing is done with the Soundbar for audio. The other 1% is through our 5 Channel A/V Receiver setup.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 562

Soundbars

KEF...

High end and well worth it.....

Low bucks equals low quality sound.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Soundbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
KEF... High end and well worth it.....Low bucks equals low quality sound.
That is only in the eyes of the beholder. Only those that have money to throw away, would go with a KEF soundbar or speakers.

My main listening source is the Vizio Soundbar. I am not trying to get Rock Concert 150db sound levels. If we want to watch movies or Football during Football Season. Then the Home Theater gets turned on. My home theater is a Denon AVR-1612, with RB-82 II's for Fronts, RC-42 II for Center, and RB-42 II's for rear surrounds.

I do get a kick when people post over rated speakers or equipment on forums. Then there are those that post under rated, would not even let my dog listen to, speakers.

Those of us that are not fanatics about A/V. Go with what our wallets can afford, and what we know will work for our personal purpose.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Soundbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
That is only in the eyes of the beholder. Only those that have money to throw away, would go with a KEF soundbar or speakers.

That's a pretty harsh statement.

How about those of us that prefer a better than average performance, and are will to pay for it, will go with a high quality KEF soundbar, or its equivalent.

One older system is using Bohlender Graebener (BG Corp) Z series speakers, with Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080 & AM-9080 separates and it's nothing short of fantastic. Well worth the money...
Old 06-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Soundbars

ktkelly. I have friends that are multi-millionaires. They will not even spend that kind of money on speakers. Anyone that has money, by earning it through hard work. Will be cost conscious on what they purchase, along with how they spend it.

Majority are going to be frugal like my wife & I. Those that go out and spend $20k or more on speakers that are no different than speakers that are $400. You are just paying for a name, not a product.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Soundbars

Yet the same frugal people will go out and buy Bose, which any pro knows is the most overpriced speakers on the market.

Say what you will, but there IS a huge difference in $400.00 speakers, and $20,000.00 speakers. And the difference isn't just the cost. To claim otherwise is just silly.

That's like comparing a 40' Chris Craft, to a 16' Bayliner. They are both boats right?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Soundbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
Yet the same frugal people will go out and buy Bose, which any pro knows is the most overpriced speakers on the market.

Say what you will, but there IS a huge difference in $400.00 speakers, and $20,000.00 speakers. And the difference isn't just the cost. To claim otherwise is just silly.

That's like comparing a 40' Chris Craft, to a 16' Bayliner. They are both boats right?
Incorrect. The frugal people buy what they can afford. Really there is nothing wrong with Bose if you are using it for what it is designed with.

As for boats. Yes there is a big difference for a 40' Chris Craft to a 16' Bayliner. Personally my friends like their 46' Sea Ray Sport Yacht. As for the whole Bayliner vs. Chris Craft argument. Some Bayliners cost more than the Chris Craft's do.

But I really do not see how comparing boats to speakers works. Since everyone has different tastes and same as what they can afford, or what their personal preference is.

Yours is obviously overpriced speakers that you are paying for the name, not for how they sound.

Those like myself. Do not sit in our Living Rooms and crank up our systems to Earth Shattering Volumes. Also those like myself do not have a need to spend $50k on a system that maybe gets 45% use out of it.

We chose our Vizio Sound bar. Due to it works. It gives good sound for the money. It fits our lifestyle.

Our friends that have the 46' Sea Ray are the same way. They have the money. But they do not see a need to go around throwing it away on overpriced stuff.

Their boat is an investment is why they have it. They take care of it all of the time. If someone comes up to our friends with the check in hand, with the right price. They will sell it in a heart beat and put that money towards another boat. Most likely it would be a 50' Sea Ray. Which they have had their eyes on. But then they would not be able to get it into some of the coves that they go to, that have their favorite places to eat. Due to the draft is not shallow enough.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 274

Soundbars

Maybe it's because I'm half asleep, but I can't see blowing $1K on a sound bar and anyone that uses an excuse of "I like good sound" is out of their mind if using a soundbar. For that money I'd do it right and do a cheap 5.1 setup or buy 3 pairs of 1970s Advents, rebuild them and use them with a new Yamaha or Denon receiver. The Advents will sound 10X better than any soundbar and cost about the same in the end but are of course much larger, and will take some work to replace the foam etc. They do 30Hz-15KHz fairly flat and usually go for $200 a pair on ebay.

If I was going for a simple solution like a soundbar, I'd loose interest as you approached $300 so my vote is for something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CZ0TT0263
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cj133 For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (09-01-2014), gregzoll (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,716

Soundbars

not everyone wants separates . sound bars can sound good. i bought my wife a $50 SB from walmart. for $50, it ssounds pretty good. and is all she needs.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,432

Soundbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj133 View Post
Maybe it's because I'm half asleep, but I can't see blowing $1K on a sound bar and anyone that uses an excuse of "I like good sound" is out of their mind if using a soundbar. For that money I'd do it right and do a cheap 5.1 setup or buy 3 pairs of 1970s Advents, rebuild them and use them with a new Yamaha or Denon receiver. The Advents will sound 10X better than any soundbar and cost about the same in the end but are of course much larger, and will take some work to replace the foam etc. They do 30Hz-15KHz fairly flat and usually go for $200 a pair on ebay.

If I was going for a simple solution like a soundbar, I'd loose interest as you approached $300 so my vote is for something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CZ0TT0263
Agree completely. If you're shooting for 5.1 or 7.1 reproduction then separate components are the way to go. Sound bars will only get you so far and they have to alter frequencies and phases in order to mimic the surround sound so you are not getting an accurate reproduction right from the start.

Better quality surround receivers also come with systems which will automatically tailor the gain and frequency response of the system to your room and speaker setup to ensure an accurate as possible reproduction.

Sound bars are neat and they do work for rather confined areas.... but I wouldn't bother spending too much on them.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 266

Soundbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Incorrect. The frugal people buy what they can afford. Really there is nothing wrong with Bose if you are using it for what it is designed with.
When I first bought my Panasonic plasma TV for the living room, I was using it without a separate sound system for a few months. One day I got the idea to take my old Bose Wave radio, which I bought years ago for use as an alarm clock, and connect it to the plasma TV for better sound until I bought another receiver and speakers. Boy was that a mistake. I was expecting richer, fuller sound with more clarity, but what I got was muffled, weak, distorted garbage. I couldn't believe that the tiny built in speakers in the sides of the plasma TV actually sounded better than the Bose. As with all speakers, hearing is believing. That is why I chose my Definitive Technology speakers, as I did a thorough listening test at a local hifi store comparing multiple brands. The speakers that kept drawing me back were the Def Techs. I will never purchase another Bose product.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #15

Soundbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
I chose my Definitive Technology speakers.

According to some here, even YOUR speakers are just some overpriced "name" brand, so you got taken.

You apparently should have bought some crap from Wal-Mart, because it's way better....

This is like talking to people that have bought a Bose system. A useless waste of time, since they've bought into the hype, and simply cannot admit they made a huge mistake.

Gregzoll,

Under your thinking a boat is a boat, a car is a car, and a speaker is a speaker.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Ferarri, when they can easily afford Kia?

Why buy a Sea Ray Sport when you can easily buy a Jon boat and trolling motor?

Why buy even so much as a Vizio Soundbar when you can easily buy a clock radio?

Sorry guy, you're just being unrealistic. Why did you buy that Vizio, it is a brand name (lo a bottom of the line brand name) isn't it?

Advertisement