Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Sony Trinitron TV

I have this 9 year old Sony Trinitron tv 32" dual tunner, model KV 32V65
I turned it on and had a black screen, this tv has a red lite flickering off and on, this says " stand by" the TV manual reads call Sony when this blinks.
If I turn the off and on button on 5 to 10 times it will come back on perfect picture. then this picture will scroll to the top of the screen and go black. Also it seems when it cools off it will come on for a few seconds too! I have good sound. I can not use DVD. or digital cable by comcast. I even hooked my cable straight into the tv to make sure the cable box was not the error. I put a call into a repair shop but they are out for the New Year holiday.
I will pay up to $200.00 for repair. any idea's???
I have found when I type in this Sony and model number that some other people have had this same problem but they never said what they did or paid to repair it?
Thanks any in information will help.

deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sony Trinitron TV

... Personally, that would be my excuse to go buy a new HD flat screen ...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

Sony Trinitron TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
... Personally, that would be my excuse to go buy a new HD flat screen ...
I agree... It sounds like it is either the tuner or rectifier. Both are just under $200 to fix. My old Sony fails regularly, once every 2-3 years. The next time it does, it's out.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #4

Sony Trinitron TV

My only thought is have they perfected the flat screen to last 10 years?

$1200.00 is really expensive!
Thanks waiting to hear from a repair man.

Deck hand
Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Sony Trinitron TV

Compared to what that beast cost 9 years ago, a new HDTV set is worth it. We bought our Panny Plasma for $1100 last August on sale, and now it is selling for $1400. My wife's grand-mother's children bought her a 32" Samsung LCD for $800 from Circuit City, and overall it has good Picture Quality, and nice features overall.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #6

Sony Trinitron TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Compared to what that beast cost 9 years ago, a new HDTV set is worth it. We bought our Panny Plasma for $1100 last August on sale, and now it is selling for $1400. My wife's grand-mother's children bought her a 32" Samsung LCD for $800 from Circuit City, and overall it has good Picture Quality, and nice features overall.

Thanks
I have a repair man coming over today, to check this beast out.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #7

Sony Trinitron TV

Hello Fellow DIY forum friends.
If you recall I posted a question about my Sony 32" TV With the red light of "Death" blinking at me I called Sony repair center in Mi. and they said
$ 100.00 for a house call and an extra $65.00 an hour for the Tech.
Well of course I'm no rich man by far. I called a local repair guy and he quoted a $29.00 house call and would more then likely have to bring the set in for testing. I don't know what all he did but the repair cost was $ 130.00 plus the initial house call $ 29.00 (All in two days)
I wish I knew what he did so I could pass it along. The bill reads "vert out, Solder conecter, Reg Horz. driver. what ever this means.They checked the Pic. tube and said it was in great shape?
So I say to you At least try your local repairmen find out first who's good.

Remember there are repairmen and there are real repairmen.

Keep America working.

Thanks to all the input on the other forum about buying a new TV,by me also.

Deck hand

Last edited by deck hand; 01-11-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Sony Trinitron TV

Well, to me it sounds like there was a broken connection that was soldered back together.

Personally, I am glad to see that you had the patience and resourcefulness to not just throw something away. There is too much stuff that people think is "disposable" these days... every little bit helps!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,026

Sony Trinitron TV

I have a lot of equipment that I have fixed myself, older equipment that has found a good home in my house. These include stereos, a microwave oven, a washing machine, some vacuum cleaners. But I cannot see shelling out money and ending up with no results. Therefore there are other items that broke and that I had to treat as disposable.

I have an older Trinitron TV which I have used for over 20 years and it still works quite well. It as gotten less and less use since I got an HDTV set.

What compounds the difficulty of getting things fixed is that the invoices are unusually huge nowadays, paying not only the cost of labor hours to repair but also dropping funds into the proverbial tip jar or cookie jar for hours of retirement whether it be to cover FICA tax or fund a 401K or pension.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-23-2008 at 09:55 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Sony Trinitron TV

I am a television repair man, and what the shop did was to re-solder various connections that have been known to cause problems. Think of it this way. When the set is playing, the circuit board inside heats up. When you turn the set off, the board cools. Over the years, this hot and cold action will cause ring cracks on solder connections due to the expansion and contraction of the circuit board. It is usually more pronounced when the component soldered normally gets hot. You decribed a vert. problem, but while he was in there, he went over other areas on the board known to give problems. He saved you some trouble down the road. The price he charged was a fair price, compared to some shops charging quite a bit more.

Glad you kept your old set. The new sets today have a good picture, but I believe they will never last as long as the set you have now IMO.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #11

Sony Trinitron TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofusmosby View Post
I am a television repair man, and what the shop did was to re-solder various connections that have been known to cause problems. Think of it this way. When the set is playing, the circuit board inside heats up. When you turn the set off, the board cools. Over the years, this hot and cold action will cause ring cracks on solder connections due to the expansion and contraction of the circuit board. It is usually more pronounced when the component soldered normally gets hot. You decribed a vert. problem, but while he was in there, he went over other areas on the board known to give problems. He saved you some trouble down the road. The price he charged was a fair price, compared to some shops charging quite a bit more.

Glad you kept your old set. The new sets today have a good picture, but I believe they will never last as long as the set you have now IMO.
Thanks for the feed back.
Glad to have kept someone working on our USA Continent .
Now if we can get the big three to agree to build one car, one truck and one van. with all the components made in the United States ( only ) no North American Contient ( Mexcio ) I think America would go back to work>

Deck hand
Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Sony Trinitron TV

Agreed. Good idea!
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,106

Sony Trinitron TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck hand View Post
Thanks for the feed back.
Glad to have kept someone working on our USA Continent .
Now if we can get the big three to agree to build one car, one truck and one van. with all the components made in the United States ( only ) no North American Contient ( Mexcio ) I think America would go back to work>

Deck hand
They tried that and no one bought them because they were too expensive compared to the same quality imports. Kind like the reason you bought a Sony TV.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Sony Trinitron TV

I have the same t.v and same problem. I just dropped the t.v off today @ the repair shop and won't know what's wrong til monday. I will get back to you then and let you know, also the shop told me it shouldn't cost more than $150.00. Hope this is helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deck hand View Post
I have this 9 year old Sony Trinitron tv 32" dual tunner, model KV 32V65
I turned it on and had a black screen, this tv has a red lite flickering off and on, this says " stand by" the TV manual reads call Sony when this blinks.
If I turn the off and on button on 5 to 10 times it will come back on perfect picture. then this picture will scroll to the top of the screen and go black. Also it seems when it cools off it will come on for a few seconds too! I have good sound. I can not use DVD. or digital cable by comcast. I even hooked my cable straight into the tv to make sure the cable box was not the error. I put a call into a repair shop but they are out for the New Year holiday.
I will pay up to $200.00 for repair. any idea's???
I have found when I type in this Sony and model number that some other people have had this same problem but they never said what they did or paid to repair it?
Thanks any in information will help.
dough132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #15

Sony Trinitron TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dough132 View Post
I have the same t.v and same problem. I just dropped the t.v off today @ the repair shop and won't know what's wrong til monday. I will get back to you then and let you know, also the shop told me it shouldn't cost more than $150.00. Hope this is helpful.
Hello Dough
Hi Thanks for the feed back! if you read item # 7 you can see I Had my Tv repaired
$ 29.00 house call and $ 130.00 repair service .
Thanks
Deck hand