Running Speaker Wires... - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 282

Running speaker wires...

Our living room has a vaulted ceiling, with no access to either of the two side walls. The AV receiver will be located adjacent to the fireplace (behind where the box is). One of the rear speakers will be behind the camera on the right and the other speaker will be on the wall to the left.

Sorry for the crummy picture but things are alot better now than they were a couple of weeks ago after Hurricane Ike roared through (lots of water damage from above).

So, my question is do I run the wires across the concrete slab to the rear of the room for the rear speakers or run them along the base of the walls near the carpet tack strips? Or???

The room is approx 25 feet long x 15 feet wide. Haven't decided what type of speaker wire to use or length to buy. Still got a few weeks before we are ready for carpet.

Helpful tips appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Running speaker wires...-img_9026-1.jpg  

Advertisement

MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Running speaker wires...

MT in all honesty if you have some money I would buy a surround sound system that the rear speakers are wireless. Might just be easier that way. Best Buy and Circuit City have systems for under
$200.00. If you don't want to do that - then run them under the carpet but not through the middle of the room as you still might be able to feel them through the pad/carpet.

Advertisement

SnowUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Running speaker wires...

Run them under the carpet is the easiest way if you don't like wireless. Try to keep the wire size at a good size and do not use rounded cables. Stay away from shielded audio cables (sorry some of the audiophiles out there...)
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Running speaker wires...

If you can, get the baseboards out and run the wires behind the baseboard between the bottom of the drywall and the floor..
SCFoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Punk

Rewards Points: 75

Running speaker wires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFoxman View Post
If you can, get the baseboards out and run the wires behind the baseboard between the bottom of the drywall and the floor..
Ditto.
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Running speaker wires...

Running them along the wall area of the carpet near the tack strip should be fine. It generally is a lower traffic so odds of someone feeling a lump or the wires wearing is slim. Do not bundle them, keep them space to help prevent any cross talk between them.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #7

Running speaker wires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFoxman View Post

bingo.
do not forget crown or corner moulding either.
Crown makes an easy way to both ceiling mount and hide wires OR snake around to other penetrations if you are going to a higher floor.

i used 12 ga I had left over from a fire alarm job I did on a large hotel at my house. We were installing a voice evacuation system so I had a *LOT* of 12 stranded left over

just remember that glow rods and 6' flex bits are your friend, as is pull string.
LoneStarGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
plus4dbu

Rewards Points: 10

Running speaker wires...

Yes, pulling off the baseboard and running wires behind is usually a good option. If you have to cross a doorway and it has a saddle on the threshold, you may be able to pull up the saddle and run wiring inside a channel under the saddle. Also, going up high and hiding in crown molding is a good option, as well.
If you decide to go wireless, here is a not-so-quick note on wireless speakers:
ALL speakers need power from somewhere in order to work. Wired speakers are called "non-powered" or "non-active" because they do not need their own source of electrical power. Power is supplied by the amplifier and the amplified audio signal is carried to the speaker by the speaker wire.
If you are not going to use a speaker wire to deliver audio to the speaker, in which case you are delivering AUDIO to the speaker wirelessly, then you must deliver POWER to the speaker locally, which means only one of two things - you must plug the speaker into an A/C power outlet or you must use batteries.
So, if you're going to plug it in, you must have an A/C outlet right at the speaker location, or you're going to see the A/C cable going from the speaker to the A/C outlet. If you're going to go with battery-powered speakers, be prepared for poorer sound quality and the inconvenience of hearing awful sound for a period of time while your battery begins to run low, and then the inconvenience of either recharging or replacing the battery, or actually remembering to recharge or replace the battery at some set time interval so as to avoid having to listen to awful sounds as the battery runs out of juice.
If you haven't figured it out, I'm not a big fan of wireless speakers, but to each his own. If anyone has actually found a wireless speaker that they are happy with, please let me know.
Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by plus4dbu; 01-14-2009 at 05:41 PM.
plus4dbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 282

Running speaker wires...

Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate your input. As it turned out, I wasn't ready to run the rear speaker cables when it came time to lay the carpet. I came down sick for several weeks and that got me behind on the schedule.

So, for now, the cables are running along the baseboards with one short piece having to cross the area near the front door. Our plan is to get the carpet guys back out to undo the carpet along the two walls and put the cables under the carpet near the tack strips. Like someone previously stated, this is not a high traffic situation and they should be fine.
Thanks again
Mike
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Home Theater Guy

Running speaker wires...

There is no need to call the carpet guy back. Just pull the carpet up a couple feet at a time, and you should not have a problem. We do this all the time.

Advertisement

Greg C is offline   Reply With Quote