Running New Coax - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Running New Coax

I had Comcast run new coax for the entire house recently and the contractor did a very poor job. The supervisor will be coming Wednesday to check it out and I'd like to give him a proposal. I've drawn up two very crude Visio drawings of a top down view of my house with locations of the various TVs and what floor they are on.

My first complaint with his install is that he didn't complete the install in the first place. He left out two TVs on the front side of the house. Second, he installed additional outlets right next to existing outlets, leaving the original cabling in place. Drilling new holes was absolutely unnecessary. My third complaint is how he ran the cables from the point of presence to the back of my house. He installed a three way splitter at the PoP and ran three cables along the side and up the rear side of my house. I'm not an expert cable installer, but I'm sure he could have run a single cable down the side and then split the line in the rear where it would be less visible.

The first image is of what the contractor installed

This is my suggestion for the guy who will come on Wednesday

Do you think running the cable this way will cause too much signal loss? I'm familiar with running Ethernet and various forms of fiber, but I'm not sure about coax signal loss.

Advertisement

modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

Running New Coax

The first rule of cable:

NO downstream splitters.

The installer may well have screwed up by running the new jacks right next to the old jacks, but the installer did apparently do one thing right.

From the demarc, you should have one cable running to each jack. And splitting should be done at the demarc and nowhere else.

Advertisement

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Running New Coax

The question is, how deep is your pocket book. Comcast is not going to do the fix for free.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Running New Coax

Thanks for the replies.

So what I'll need is a 5 way splitter to accommodate all of my TVs? I'm seriously dreading this.

I'll have to wait till the supervisor comes and checks out the situation. I've already agreed to pay for the install; $350 is what I was originally quoted. For what I'm paying and what I've received, I certainly expect a lot more than a rat's nest of cable run along my siding.

I requested for the cables to be snaked through the walls and up to the attic. For some reason there was a mix up and on the work order it said the house was pre-wired, which hasn't ever been the case.

I wired the house 15 years ago for c-band satellite and more recently for Dish Network to three TVs. I told the guy to simply pull the existing cables out from the wall and leave them hanging there, but he ran off before I could inspect the work and he never even finished. He left one of the HD receivers on the floor of the garage, which I would have been liable for if it would have been stolen. He even left his hammer and some F-connectors behind.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks again!
modena is offline   Reply With Quote