Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Receiver under sink?

I plan on mounting my flatsceen to this wall under the counter (see picture). Behind that wall is the dishwasher and the sink is behind the window. A countertop joins them. In between is an empty space that I can use to hide the electronics. The problem is, my point of access will be from under the kitchen sink.

Is this advisable? I worry that this may be a fire hazard since the electronics will share the same space as the drain and supply lines. If I constructed a removable "firewall" of sorts (waterwall? hehe) and put the electronics on a raised shelf, will that make it ok? My receiver will protrude about 2" into the actual kitchen sink cabinet.

Arkanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #2

Receiver under sink?

Water and electronics don't mix well. If there is any way that water can get to the electronics, its a bad idea. Also, if you are handleing a lot of power, it will need some vent fans as well to prevent overheating. Also remember, with electronics, someday it will break. You need to have it where you can easily get to it for repairs.

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #3

Receiver under sink?

Second time today I have agreed with bofusmosby.

In my opinion, if there is room and it will get enough air to keep everything cool then you can protect yourself from a fire hazard by using a gfi receptacle to power your equipment. as soon as it gets wet it will trip power.

Another idea may be to cut a hole in the wall where it looks like a receptacle and the cable is under the bar and build a box to fit in there with molding around the edge to give it a finished look. You could put the receptacle and cable in the box with your equipment. Downfall is the equipment will be visible but should be protected better from water leak.

My two cents.
kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

Receiver under sink?

Damn Kirk, agreeing with me can be a hazard to your health!
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #5

Receiver under sink?

That is a really odd place to mount a flatscreen.. it's just way too low to the ground.. that thing is going to get dirty as hell and not be very visible.
Mrnagrom is offline   Reply With Quote