Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,056
Share |
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Where's the Disco Ball?

drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #17
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
This unit is designed for a PA, not for home use.
it's not in my home.
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #18
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Where's the Disco Ball?
heh heh - my wife actually wants one! I'm like, eh, I don't think so...
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscolaMatt View Post
heh heh - my wife actually wants one! I'm like, eh, I don't think so...
My question is, how can you dump 30K+ into this and still be married?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


So Matt, what do you do in your spare time?


It's great to see somebody follow through with their ideas/dreams. The lifting cabinet is a neat idea.


So, how far from the barn to the house? I see you were running cat5 for your computers. Limit is about 300 feet with that. Seeing you seem to have unlimited financial resources, if you have any problems with the cat 5, you should really consider fiber. All your problems gone in a flash!
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #21
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
My question is, how can you dump 30K+ into this and still be married?
Unfortunately it's pushing 40K now I never expected it would cost this much - but it's been spread out over a long time, so it hasn't been quite THAT bad. Yeah, my wife has been supportive. When this project is done, I'll be starting a new house for her - so she's just biding her time. Anyway, she's not a normal wife and likes all my projects - that's why I married her! Anyway, I just wish the economy wasn't in the middle of tanking. I'm spending a LOT of cash right now when I'd rather be saving it. But what's the saying? In for a penny, in for a dollar. I'm GOING FOR IT and I'm going to get this done.

...OH! The carpet is going in TOMORROW! Yee ha!!! I'll get pics post then!
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
So Matt, what do you do in your spare time?


It's great to see somebody follow through with their ideas/dreams. The lifting cabinet is a neat idea.


So, how far from the barn to the house? I see you were running cat5 for your computers. Limit is about 300 feet with that. Seeing you seem to have unlimited financial resources, if you have any problems with the cat 5, you should really consider fiber. All your problems gone in a flash!
Yeah, not really unlimited. We pull about 100K a year. We have very little debt and like to spend $$ on things we can use (rather then things like eating out, cruise vacations, things with no return). So, not unlimited - just frugal in a twisted sort of way - heh heh.

The Cat5E is 200 feet long. I agree, something higher capacity would be nice eventually. In theory I might be able to pull more cable through the buried conduit - but I'd probably have to dig it all up to run fiber. If I ever run into an unacceptable bottle neck - I'll run the fiber. I wouldn't be surprised though if a wireless method might not be available before long that would work as well...
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #23
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


actually we already have what you need.

802.11n wi-fi. range 300 feet at 70 Mbps

Don't know if you have anybody close or can get close but if you do this, be sure to use security measures and encryption.

Personally, I am just not a big wireless guy. Too many systems claim to be the end all to everything but in the real world, they fall short of the promises. Hardwire is hard to beat.

70Mb should handle most anything a household user would need. It is way faster than any internet connection and in reality, most LAN's don't need to be superfast anyway. It's a great selling point but in reality, most folks don't have the need for speed, or at least as much as they think they do.

and in reality, the wi-fi is much cheaper to install.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #24
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
actually we already have what you need.

802.11n wi-fi. range 300 feet at 70 Mbps

Don't know if you have anybody close or can get close but if you do this, be sure to use security measures and encryption.

Personally, I am just not a big wireless guy. Too many systems claim to be the end all to everything but in the real world, they fall short of the promises. Hardwire is hard to beat.

70Mb should handle most anything a household user would need. It is way faster than any internet connection and in reality, most LAN's don't need to be superfast anyway. It's a great selling point but in reality, most folks don't have the need for speed, or at least as much as they think they do.

and in reality, the wi-fi is much cheaper to install.
Well, the cat5e should be plenty fine for now. I'm just thinking like 5 years down the road there will be better wireless solutions that I can choose from.

Not to get OT too much, but where in MI are you? I grew up in Clio and I have a brother that still lives there...
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #25
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,056
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscolaMatt View Post
heh heh - my wife actually wants one! I'm like, eh, I don't think so...

Hmm, OK, Disco Ball out.

How about some Blacklights that make things glow in the dark?

Now that would be cool and would go nicely with your bar lights.


Nice project by the way.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscolaMatt View Post
Unfortunately it's pushing 40K now I never expected it would cost this much - but it's been spread out over a long time, so it hasn't been quite THAT bad. Yeah, my wife has been supportive. When this project is done, I'll be starting a new house for her - so she's just biding her time. Anyway, she's not a normal wife and likes all my projects - that's why I married her! Anyway, I just wish the economy wasn't in the middle of tanking. I'm spending a LOT of cash right now when I'd rather be saving it. But what's the saying? In for a penny, in for a dollar. I'm GOING FOR IT and I'm going to get this done.

...OH! The carpet is going in TOMORROW! Yee ha!!! I'll get pics post then!
One more question. How do I get an Infidel T-shirt?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Hmm, OK, Disco Ball out.

How about some Blacklights that make things glow in the dark?

Now that would be cool and would go nicely with your bar lights.


Nice project by the way.
Yeah, I've thought a couple black light posters would be cool - definitely a good idea.
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
One more question. How do I get an Infidel T-shirt?
Some places:
http://www.cafepress.com/jestdesigns/3064089

http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/i...h-gray/3856010


These seem to be the best prices:
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=75

Viva La Infidel!
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #29
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


My monster sub showed up a couple hours ago and the carpet is about half installed as I type - pictures soon!
TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #30
Punk
 
TuscolaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tuscola Texas
Posts: 73
Default

A rather HUGE home theater et al


The carpet went in, in sections. The main floor, the ramp, the loft and the catwalk. Basically all the horizontal surfaces. It's really nice!
Some pics:








this last shot is from the end of the catwalk looking back at the loft...

The acoustics improved somewhat with the carpet in - but still needs work. I'm off next week - so I'll be working on the sound system (the rest of which should arrive by then - I hope!).

TuscolaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attic home theater construction Cinema Builder Project Showcase 23 11-19-2009 10:29 PM
Home theater system set up cannouu Electrical 11 04-15-2008 07:39 AM
Home Theater Set Up Help JAVAMAN Home Theater 3 03-12-2008 07:07 PM
Home Theater Help! kiwibird Building & Construction 6 03-11-2007 12:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.