Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Pre-connections for future TV

HI;
I have a insulated wall open on my porch, I am going to re-drywall it. I just realized last night that the other side of this wall is the spot in the living room where we were thinking about putting a flat screen TV at some point in the future. Not ready to do it now.

However the wall is insulated and it is going to be very hard to fish a cable tv cable and power up the wall later.

I am looking for suggestions as to what the best way would be to set this up so it is ready if I do put a tv there. I prefer not to cut a hole in the living room wall now.

I was thinking about running a outlet box with a piece of 14-2 for a 15 A outlet, and make sure I know the exact height of it, so when I do put in a tv, I can just cut open the wall around the box and put in a box extension and install a cover plate. Then I was thinking of doing a another box near by that has a coax and cat 5 cable in it.

Are there any other cables, more power, etc that I will want to run to this tv? Anything else special I should be thinking about for a wall mount tv before I close the wall back up? Maybe a wire for possible connection to a surround system, if so, what kind of wire? Normally my surround system is close to the tv and I use a RCA cable.

Thanks for any suggestions

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

In addition to the outlet, I would run a piece of ENT from the TV to where your components(cable, dvd, surround,...) will be. That way you don't have to worry about what specific wires you'll need. You may also want to consider speaker placement since you have the walls out.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
In addition to the outlet, I would run a piece of ENT from the TV to where your components(cable, dvd, surround,...) will be. That way you don't have to worry about what specific wires you'll need. You may also want to consider speaker placement since you have the walls out.
Thanks.

I am having trouble deciding about speakers in this room. It is more of a semi-formal living room, and we think we can get away with a tv looking nice, but I don't think I can load it down with speakers. Maybe if I do in wall speakers.

How many speakers would I really need to make the system sound good? My Denon has 8 speakers to it in total. I know I don't want that many speakers in this room.

Jamie
Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Thanks.

I am having trouble deciding about speakers in this room. It is more of a semi-formal living room, and we think we can get away with a tv looking nice, but I don't think I can load it down with speakers. Maybe if I do in wall speakers.

How many speakers would I really need to make the system sound good? My Denon has 8 speakers to it in total. I know I don't want that many speakers in this room.

Jamie
If you don't want to overwhelm the room, I would just stick with a 5.1 setup.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Designer

2 suggestions
1st
if the wall is open already and you are not sure where you'll b placing the outlet on the other side of the wall yet... let alone what type of outlet or how many... i would suggest just putting in a tube with openings at given heights so when you make your holes, you just drop the cable(s) down and out that.

2nd
I would suggest you look into a sound projector. Its a heck of a lot easier than doing inwall speakers. Yamaha makes an excellent system called a YSP.
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP/YSP4000.jsp
you'lll get your 5.1 surround sound with just one unit... its also a receiver. If you want deep bass though you'll still want a Subwoofer.
I've heard these things and they blow me away at how well it can make sound come from all over the room, including behind you.

So if you mount your TV, and don't want something under the TV you can mount this too. which i why i suggest possibly having room for more than one cable.
cdpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpage View Post
2 suggestions
1st
if the wall is open already and you are not sure where you'll b placing the outlet on the other side of the wall yet... let alone what type of outlet or how many... i would suggest just putting in a tube with openings at given heights so when you make your holes, you just drop the cable(s) down and out that.

2nd
I would suggest you look into a sound projector. Its a heck of a lot easier than doing inwall speakers. Yamaha makes an excellent system called a YSP.
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP/YSP4000.jsp
you'lll get your 5.1 surround sound with just one unit... its also a receiver. If you want deep bass though you'll still want a Subwoofer.
I've heard these things and they blow me away at how well it can make sound come from all over the room, including behind you.

So if you mount your TV, and don't want something under the TV you can mount this too. which i why i suggest possibly having room for more than one cable.
Wow, that thing from yamaha looks pretty cool, a little expensive, but I did spend about $1,000 on my Denon setup. That thing would look sharp, much better than a bunch of speakers.

Now I just have to figure out where I would hide my components, (amp, tivo / Sling box, etc.)

Thanks for the ideas. I will put some conduit there so it will make it much easier once I am ready for the tv and sound.

Jamie
Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Easy way, place a 2x4 & 4x4 box, with conduits running down to where the wires would be pulled through (a 3/4" for electrical, and 1 1/2" for A/V). Then when ready to put in the set, cut where the boxes are, and then pull the wires up & term. Until you are ready, just remember to mark on the other side where the boxes are with a small marking, or even an 'X', and cover with a painting for right now.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Wow, that thing from yamaha looks pretty cool, a little expensive, but I did spend about $1,000 on my Denon setup. That thing would look sharp, much better than a bunch of speakers.

Now I just have to figure out where I would hide my components, (amp, tivo / Sling box, etc.)

Thanks for the ideas. I will put some conduit there so it will make it much easier once I am ready for the tv and sound.

Jamie
If you don't already have the AMP, one isn't 'required' for the YSP, it is an AV receiver too.

Also, look in to component wall mounts.
Peerless, Sanus or OmniMount make some decent ones.

This product category has been growing lately with so many TVs being mounted, some are more classy than others, some are stronger than others.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #9

Hmmm, just thinking out loud, but now would be an excellent opportunity to determine exactly where you want to mount the tv and check for a stud to screw the mount into. If one isn't in the right spot, nail one in and you can thank me later!

Good luck.
Mike
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Hmmm, just thinking out loud, but now would be an excellent opportunity to determine exactly where you want to mount the tv and check for a stud to screw the mount into. If one isn't in the right spot, nail one in and you can thank me later!

Good luck.
Mike
EXCELLENT advice!