Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Power and signal wiring for wall mount flatscreen

We just got a new 50" Vizio and the plan is to mount it above the fireplace. (I know, I know--I've read a lot about the problems with that, but I think in our particular situation we will be OK. Besides, "the plan" is more like "my wife's plan" and I'm working out the engineering!)

Got a basic low profile mount that should do the job, but before I install that, I want to have a plan in place for the wiring. After looking on line at forums and available products, I have an idea I wanted to get some feedback on.

I was thinking of using some kind of PowerBridge type product to get power to the TV and our components from the attic. Between the fireplace and the built-in bookcases that flank it, there is really no good way to get to existing outlets in the room. Attic has roughed-in electrical and there is a duplex about 8' away from the fireplace. (btw--house was built in 1954 and all electrical is original...)

I was going to plug into both outlets to run two power ports--behind the TV and in the built-ins for compenents. Then I'll run the HDMI and other low voltage cables up and over also, but not next to the AC. (using all wire/cable rated for in-wall use)

Does this sound viable? I'd like to just add outlets, but I'm not sure I can do that without starting a domino effect leading mandatory code upgrades all over the house.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dante

dcentuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Just run Cat-6 for HDMI signal. Use the baluns for both ends, to allow you to hook up to the hdmi input on the tv, and hdmi output on your DVR or AV receiver, if planning on using it as a switching source.

As for low voltage, you should run all of it through "Smurf Tubing", when you pull the runs. Just plan everything out on paper first.

They do make "Octopus" cable, that includes two Cat-5e or Cat-6 cables, two RG-6u, and you can also get them with the extra wires for Speakers. It does make it thicker though.

Put up a list of all of the equipment you have, and a drawing of where the equipment will be located, and your route of the wiring.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Thanks; I wasn't thinking about running wiring and making my own connections for the HDMI or RG6 runs. Since I don't have the tools, I was planning to buy the right length of in-wall rated off-the-shelf cables. But taking a quick look at costs, it may after all cost less overall to buy the wiring components and get some cheap tools at Harbor Freight!

Right now our DVD player's best output is component, but since the player is already 10 years old, and that would be a lot of cabling for one device, I think I will just plan on getting a new DVD player shortly with HDMI and avoid running that big bundle.

I'll try to get a drawing and list together tonight.

Thanks,
Dante
Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Do pull HDMI. Pull one Cat-6 for HDMI over Ethernet wiring. Another for Ethernet connection, if the tv is a Smart tv and has a RJ-45 LAN port. You really do not need RG-6, unless you plan on running component or sound to the tv.

I use a Vizio Sound bar with wireless Sub-woof, for all of our tv viewing. Connected to the DirecTV DVR. If it is Golf, Football, movies that are DVR'd, OnDemand, or streamed off of the Blu-Ray player. We use the Denon AVR-1612 that we have.

I found that having just the one connection from the AVR to the TV, works out really well. I have DirecTV for my tv provider. So I added their AM21N for OTA broadcasting.

Having a clean setup and using something as a A/V switcher for inputs. Is better than pulling a bunch of unneeded wire runs. Along with a Sound bar for audio output, when you do not want to run the Surround Sound System.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcentuori View Post
We just got a new 50" Vizio
While you're still probably within the return period, I just want to point out that the vizio brand of TV's are among the worst you can purchase..

They are non-repairable and have a high failure rate just after the warranty is up. (power supplies I think)
There was a big stink about them a year ago and as I recall, it came down to the simple fact that you purchase the cheapest tv on the shelf and take your chances..

After a lot of research, I decided to go with an LG as they had some of the highest ratings overall.. Most bang for your buck with the best warranty and least risk..

Just thought I would throw that in.. I strongly suggest you return it.. spend the extra $100 and get a name brand unit.. Everything I have ever bought from LG or Samsung or even Toshiba has been perfect..
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 522

Actually.....

You haven't given enough information to be given the "right" answer.

What's the component list?

Where will the components be located?

What's the wiring distance from components to TV?

With this little bit of info, you can get the correct information.

As an aside:

HDMI over cat5e/6 is done with "extenders", not "baluns", and I wouldn't usually recommend a DIY'er try to make up the cables. It's just not that easy. Especially so since you cannot use the EZ RJ45's for this purpose.

However, you can purchase pre-made cat5e cables in length, and for a DIY'er this is what I'd recommend.

Honestly, if the distance between the TV ad the components is not that long, you should just get in wall rated HDMI cable/s and go that route.

You do not need to use the "smart TV" features, if you're going to use a new BluRay which will have the same capability, and do the job better, so the HDMI just makes more sense.

DO run an RG6 if you want to make use of the TV's off air tuner.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBob View Post
While you're still probably within the return period, I just want to point out that the vizio brand of TV's are among the worst you can purchase..

They are non-repairable and have a high failure rate just after the warranty is up. (power supplies I think)
There was a big stink about them a year ago and as I recall, it came down to the simple fact that you purchase the cheapest tv on the shelf and take your chances..

After a lot of research, I decided to go with an LG as they had some of the highest ratings overall.. Most bang for your buck with the best warranty and least risk..

Just thought I would throw that in.. I strongly suggest you return it.. spend the extra $100 and get a name brand unit.. Everything I have ever bought from LG or Samsung or even Toshiba has been perfect..
Really do not get where you got the high failure rate on Vizio's. Their new generation of sets, actually have a low failure rate. They use the same LCD glass as everyone else uses. LG's for their economy & mid line have a high failure rate. It is when you get into their more expensive line. Then you see less failure.

Most failures on electronics is a surge that goes through the incoming CATV or Satellite line, and due to no or poor grounding, or lightning protection. Anything connected with that Coax as the signal line gets fried.

HDMI failures from surges are caused by the surge going through the ground pin.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #8

FWIW, this is what we got:

Vizio E500i-B1 (TV)
Vizio S2920w-CO (soundbar)
Sanus SAN55BB (mount)

I think we'll stick with it, because my wife got it all at Target with some gift cards and 5% off coupons. My wife just based her decision on the Target options. I really wasn't involved in this purchase, or else I would have done the usual research. (Hopefully, it isn't total crap!--now I have to look this all up!)

Been busy this week and hadn't had time to post my layout idea; so I know I don't have all the information in here. Will get to that soon.

thanks,
Dante
The Following User Says Thank You to dcentuori For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

Dante,

When you get the rest of the info post it, and then we'll take a look.

I presume you're going to have both a DVD and a Cable box or Satellite receiver, and possibly a off air antenna (I strongly recommend having a off air solution if you hadn't planned on one), and the sources will be on a open shelf?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 258

Cabling can be really expensive, especially if you have long runs. I recommend Monoprice.com for good quality cables at exceptional prices. I've purchased numerous HDMI, component, and speaker wires from them and all have been top quality.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
Cabling can be really expensive, especially if you have long runs. I recommend Monoprice.com for good quality cables at exceptional prices. I've purchased numerous HDMI, component, and speaker wires from them and all have been top quality.

You do know that ALL the Monoprice cables were not actually UL approved, even though they were erroneously labeled as such, don't you?

Nothing like putting wires in the walls that are not actually rated for such use. Plus there's the outrageous amount of failed products that are cited on many of the AV forums.

Wonder why the professionals don't use that stuff?

Sorry, but purchasing HDMI cables, etc, etc, based solely on the cheapest price, is not a great idea.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly

You do know that ALL the Monoprice cables were not actually UL approved, even though they were erroneously labeled as such, don't you?

Nothing like putting wires in the walls that are not actually rated for such use. Plus there's the outrageous amount of failed products that are cited on many of the AV forums.

Wonder why the professionals don't use that stuff?

Sorry, but purchasing HDMI cables, etc, etc, based solely on the cheapest price, is not a great idea.
I have never heard if that. I'm a member of AVSforum and never saw a post about that. Still, I have seen the quality of their products and would not hesitate putting them in my walls. They're not carrying electricity, just audio signals so I'm not too concerned. Thanks for the info. Heading to AVSforum now to read up on this.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Really KTKelly. So you are stating that everyone should continue to pay exorbitant costs on the same cables they can get for $5? Unless you have proof. You are just blowing smoke.

Just to let you know. LV & signal cables are not required to be UL Approved. Only power cables & devices that are powered by 120vAC or higher voltages. Even if the UL sticker is on the cable or device. All it states is that UL gave the cable or device it graces for meeting the minimum requirements of their standards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (08-29-2014), ddawg16 (09-14-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
I have never heard if that. I'm a member of AVSforum and never saw a post about that. Still, I have seen the quality of their products and would not hesitate putting them in my walls. They're not carrying electricity, just audio signals so I'm not too concerned. Thanks for the info. Heading to AVSforum now to read up on this.
I would not go over there. You are going to get attacked as if you are a Salmon swimming through a bunch of bears trying to grab you for dinner. They will eat you alive over there.

KTKelly is just trying to sell his company's services. You are fine with what you are doing. As for your setup. I would stick with a clean run of one HDMI (Redmere) or Cat-6 run for HDMI. Run all equipment through a switcher that can be controlled by a remote or network capable. Or run through a AVRS.

You have a Sound Bar, TV, media playback device. Just need to put it all together and grab a beer. Something like this, should take no more than 4 hours tops to get setup. The more time you spend hemming and hawing about it, and letting this thread run like it has gone the direction now.

This thread will cause you to now not get the project done. That is why most people do not post about their projects on forums anymore. Too much of an opportunity to get the likes of KTKelly turning you away from doing it how you want to.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You have a Sound Bar, TV, media playback device. Just need to put it all together and grab a beer. Something like this, should take no more than 4 hours tops to get setup. The more time you spend hemming and hawing about it, and letting this thread run like it has gone the direction now.
It all depends on the components involved. I have only two lines to my 60 inch tv (the power cable, and a single hdmi) and that's all I will ever need. Everything else is connected to my pioneer theater receiver which acts of course as the switcher. The tv is basically nothing more than a monitor at this point which stays on the same input all the time and everything is being connected, handled and switched through the pioneer (mede8er media streamer, satellite, PS3, DVD/Blu Ray and cable). The audio isn't even handled by the tv anymore. The pioneer does that as well. This all makes life a lot simpler... especially when hanging a tv on a wall where it becomes difficult to run wires and get at the connections in the back of it.

Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote