DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Plasma TV over Slate

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  diy-socal 
#1 ·
We recently remodeled our fireplace and it is now slate from floor to ceiling. I've been planning to hang a plasma tv on there, and I consulted with Best Buy Magnolia Theater before installing the slate to make sure that it wouldn't be a problem. Of course they said, no problem! (I did not purchase the tv from them, but they will install it anyway).

They showed up this morning at 10:30 (appt was at 8 am) and the first thing they said was "We can't drill through slate." They claimed that any drilling would crack the slate immediately.

I went out to my garage and drilled through a couple of holes in some extra slate tile I had with my $30 drill and my $10 masonry drill bits. No cracks. In fact, slate seems pretty soft and easy to drill through. Does anyone have experience drilling through slate and is there really a high risk of cracking? I know where the studs are behind the slate so I'm not concerned abou that. Any help is appreciated!

#3 ·
We recently remodeled our fireplace and it is now slate from floor to ceiling. I've been planning to hang a plasma tv on there, and I consulted with Best Buy Magnolia Theater before installing the slate to make sure that it wouldn't be a problem. Of course they said, no problem! (I did not purchase the tv from them, but they will install it anyway).

They showed up this morning at 10:30 (appt was at 8 am) and the first thing they said was "We can't drill through slate." They claimed that any drilling would crack the slate immediately.

I went out to my garage and drilled through a couple of holes in some extra slate tile I had with my $30 drill and my $10 masonry drill bits. No cracks. In fact, slate seems pretty soft and easy to drill through. Does anyone have experience drilling through slate and is there really a high risk of cracking? I know where the studs are behind the slate so I'm not concerned abou that. Any help is appreciated!

Your first mistake?

Best Buy.....:yes:

Why not just install it yourself? You drilled holes through a spare piece of slate, so you've already answered your own question.

If you know where the studs are located, drill the holes, use some decent lags and be done with it.

I do hope that you planned for the cable or satellite box, etc, etc, and have the outlet behind where the panel will mount on a surge protector.

#4 ·
Tell me about it. I'm glad you responded to this thread. I saw some of your other responses on this board and I wanted to PM you, but I'm too "new" to do that.

I 100% agree with your statement about Best Buy. What can I say, I had high hopes. I'm going to give it a shot myself like you suggested. The guy who put the slate up said he could cut a box out of it and install plywood for a mount if I somehow crack the slate open. You don't happen to be near Orlando do you? I could give you some work!

#6 ·
Tell me about it. I'm glad you responded to this thread. I saw some of your other responses on this board and I wanted to PM you, but I'm too "new" to do that.

I 100% agree with your statement about Best Buy. What can I say, I had high hopes. I'm going to give it a shot myself like you suggested. The guy who put the slate up said he could cut a box out of it and install plywood for a mount if I somehow crack the slate open. You don't happen to be near Orlando do you? I could give you some work!
jrcrum:

How did the install turn out? I also recently installed slate stone (ledgerstone) on our fireplace wall and want to mount an LCD over it.

The slate is so soft it flakes off. Can you describe how your install turned out?

Thanks!

#5 ·
North Carolina here. Although I do get to Orlando in March for a week (trade show). And I also have a couple contacts in the Orlando area that are also in the AV business on pro level.

Sorry about your BB misfortune, but that's to be expected from a company that has "move boxes" as it's primary business model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.