Plasma Mount Into Metal Studs - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plasma Mount into Metal Studs

Hello all,

I plan on purchasing a 50" Plasma that weighs approximately 76lbs with speakers. Before purchasing I want to make sure that I can safely mount something like this to a wall with metal studs. That being said, what precautions must I take when mounting a TV this size to a wall with metal studs and what would be the most secure method to do this?

I have read some post where users are simply using Toggle bolts, Others suggest drilling 1/2" plywood to your studs and mounting directly to this. I do not know what method is correct so hopefully some of you folks can provide me with some insight.

Best regards,

Dave

Advertisement

davewolfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 560

I've only had to do this once (commercial install).

I cut out the sheetrock in the area that was going to be behind the PDP.

I drilled 7 equally spaced 1/4" holes through the plywood. Using the plywood as a template, I marked and drilled 3 of those 1/4" holes through the metal studs.

Mounted the plywood directly to the metal studs, securing it with 6 toggle bolts and then filled in between those with self tapping lagscrews (toggles and self tappers had oversize washers).

Mouted the PDP to the plywood and it was nice and solid.

A nice thing about opening up the wall to install the plywood?

Makes it very easy to fish the needed cables ....

Advertisement

ktkelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
I've only had to do this once (commercial install).

I cut out the sheetrock in the area that was going to be behind the PDP.

I drilled 7 equally spaced 1/4" holes through the plywood. Using the plywood as a template, I marked and drilled 3 of those 1/4" holes through the metal studs.

Mounted the plywood directly to the metal studs, securing it with 6 toggle bolts and then filled in between those with self tapping lagscrews (toggles and self tappers had oversize washers).

Mouted the PDP to the plywood and it was nice and solid.

A nice thing about opening up the wall to install the plywood?

Makes it very easy to fish the needed cables ....
This seems to be like what a few people have recommended. Unfortunately, I don't know how my wife is going to handle the idea of me ripping out that big a chunk from the wall

I have a few questions.

1. How big should the piece of plywood be in comparison to the actual mount? What type of wood should I use? For the outlet and AV cables, did you cut a whole for your work box in your plywood, or did you make additional holes in the sheetrock itself above your ply?

2. If for some reason I cannot cut the sheet rock out, can I simply mount a piece of wood directly to the drywall and into the studs? Then screw the lags into the wood?

3. There is actually a closet behind where I want to put the TV. If the mount lines up properly with the closet, should I consider using long lags that go through both walls and drill directly into 2x4's braced against the closet wall?

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

External Grade will work. And yes, you can mount it on the outside of the sheetrock, but just make sure that you secure to the studs 100%.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post
This seems to be like what a few people have recommended. Unfortunately, I don't know how my wife is going to handle the idea of me ripping out that big a chunk from the wall
Just tell her how it's going to be, keep your woman in line.... (be prepared to experience great pain).

Quote:

1. How big should the piece of plywood be in comparison to the actual mount? What type of wood should I use? For the outlet and AV cables, did you cut a whole for your work box in your plywood, or did you make additional holes in the sheetrock itself above your ply?
I used a piece of plywood that was about 2" larger than the mount. And I cut out a hole for a Panamax MIW-POWER w/MIW-5RCA (remember, your cabling must be in wall rated).

Quote:

2. If for some reason I cannot cut the sheet rock out, can I simply mount a piece of wood directly to the drywall and into the studs? Then screw the lags into the wood?
Yes, you could. But I feel like it's easier to open up the wall. Gives access if you need to upgrade cabling in the future and when you move it's an easy sheetrock repair.

Quote:

3. There is actually a closet behind where I want to put the TV. If the mount lines up properly with the closet, should I consider using long lags that go through both walls and drill directly into 2x4's braced against the closet wall?
That would probaly not be a bad idea. Although it may be overkill.

What I would do is install an electrical outlet in that closet (tied to the one behind the PDP), place your source equipment in the closet and get a good RF remote to control it.

The boss (wife) will be really happy if she has less TV/Stereo junk in "her" room....
Old 07-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #6

Thanks again for the reply.

I again have a few questions

1. Regarding the cabling. Must low voltage cabling must also be rated for in-wall? i.e. HDMI cables?

2. I have also noticed that some folks use special toggle bolts and simply put them in directly to the metal studs i.e. attach the mount to the studs via toggle bolts. Is this in anyway as secure as the approach you have suggested?

3. Do you recall the sizes of the lags and toggle bolts that you used?

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 07-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Yes, you should use the proper wiring for inwall, and if you can, use conduit to pull it through.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #8

What would be the appropriate screws to attach the mount into the piece of 1/2" ply. Anyone?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Two questions from me. Can you accurately locate the studs ( this should be fairly easy) and do you know if the a just drywall (25 ga) or structural gauge material? If they are structural, I don't see why you can't drill a 1/2" hole through the flange and use toggle bolts directly into the studs. The vertical mounting bars on the brackets I have seen are long enough that you should be able to get three bolts in each one , all based on the wall studs being a decent gauge. Eighty pounds is not a lot of weight for four or six 3/16" toggles to support, especially through a piece of metal,
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Two questions from me. Can you accurately locate the studs ( this should be fairly easy) and do you know if the a just drywall (25 ga) or structural gauge material? If they are structural, I don't see why you can't drill a 1/2" hole through the flange and use toggle bolts directly into the studs. The vertical mounting bars on the brackets I have seen are long enough that you should be able to get three bolts in each one , all based on the wall studs being a decent gauge. Eighty pounds is not a lot of weight for four or six 3/16" toggles to support, especially through a piece of metal,
I have no idea. What do most homes use? 25GA, I am guessing it is probably that.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #11

Never Put A Plasma On Metal Studs. I Am A Firedog Tech With Thousands Of Installs And The Ones That Go Bad Are Metal Studded Installs.find Another Wall That Is Wood Studded
dtl1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #12

A "Firedog" tech with thousand of installs?

Amazing!

You must be very, very busy, since the CC "Firedog" program (Established Sept. 06) wasn't officially launched until December 06.

So, you're doing how many installations per day? I guess you never sleep?

After all, if you've done thousands of installs, you must be working 24 hours a day.

I gather that those poor people who have steel framed homes can't hang a PDP on the wall? That so?

I'm sorry, Firedog "Tech", but your utterly idiotic comment has exposed the fact that you don't have a clue. You need to go back to the store and dispense your incorrect advice to those unsuspecting fools that happen into the CC branch where you work.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #13

Sorry, but I didn't read all posts here, so if i repeat, sorry.
I just installed one. I just went to home depot and bought the heaviest duty drywall anchors they had and put 10 in. Holding up just fine too..
The pain in the arse part was hiding the wiring...
bujaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #14

Mitch the Handyman,

Surely you jest.

Maybe it'll hold, maybe it won't.

It is your flat panel though. If you feel it's safe, then more power to ya....
Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #15

Hell yeah my man. I was pullin and tuggin on that thing before i hung the tv. It also wasn't a 76lb tv. Also, whoever built the house, put the studs at 24" on center???? Don't ask me!!! And where i wanted the tv to go was smack dab in the middle of those studs, wouldn't ya know.
So yes, i feel it is safe. Plus, the anchors I used boasted that they would hold 50 lbs with just one anchor, i put TEN in. Now, I don't know about having them so close together, but surely toggle bolts are a mere similarity.

Advertisement

bujaly is offline   Reply With Quote