Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

Plasma Mount in Family Room Built-Ins

Hello.

I am looking for some advice on how to SAFELY mount a plasma into my family room built-ins (the built-ins are constructed of 1" POPLAR plywood that are permanently attached to the wall of my family room (nailed to studs ).

All of the mounts I find say not to use if more than 5/8" of material is between you and the studs.

Well, even if I attach directly to the studs with long lag bolts, I'll have 1.5" of material (1" of poplar board and 1/2 of drywall).

Is the plywood backing strong enough itself to attach the mount to (say in 6-8 different places) plus 1-2 studs through the built-in via longer lag bolts?

This seems like a simple question, but unfortunately I cannot find the answer posted anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help.

taysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #2

Due to the fact that the plywood is nailed to the studs, you should have no problems at all mounting a flat panel to it.

Adding a couple lag bolts going into the studs will be more than adequate.

ktkelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Media Guy

Based on my experience, if you can indeed find the studs behind the plywood and drywall - you will be good to go! Sometimes there isn't enough gripping "depth" in plywood itself. 2 1/2" - 3" lag bolts will do a great job in mounting the bracket to the studs. You might want to make sure the back of the cabinet is completely flush with the drywall behind it. Simply push on the back of the cabinet and make sure it doesn't give at all. If it does and you mount to the plywood only (at any point), you could cause some problems when the flat screen is hung.

I often use low profile mounts for installs like yours. They allow a tight, close install in the cabinet and still provide some tilting ability for maximum picture quality.

Good luck!
mediatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediatech View Post
I often use low profile mounts for installs like yours. They allow a tight, close install in the cabinet and still provide some tilting ability for maximum picture quality.
Look to Chief Manufacturing's products (chiefmfg.com) or Peerless for this - they have some great mounts, including some very interesting residential-purposed mounts (like a picture frame styled mount, sized for your specific fpd). I will admit, they aren't cheap - but with good reasons.
CuCullin is offline   Reply With Quote