Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Share |

over the air antenna (ota)

does anybody have any experience with ota for hd/digital tv and what do you think vs sat. box for basic tv channel viewing?

hpyjack2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

It really depends on where you live, i.e. how many channels you get, your orientation to them, the distance and terrain, etc. I cut my cable TV service a couple years ago and went to an attic antenna and don't regret it for a minute. I get all the major networks (including sub channels) plus PBS, ION, ThisTv and some odds and ends, all in HD. Plus I can stream a lot of stuff directly from the networks... plus I can use a generic DVR (my HTPC) to record entire seasons of shows to watch while ffwing through commercials. And I *really* don't miss paying for all the crap on cable that I never watched. And for more streaming options you can get a Roku box or similar.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpyjack2013 View Post
does anybody have any experience with ota for hd/digital tv and what do you think vs sat. box for basic tv channel viewing?
You are talking about something that has been around for what is going on now for around 60 years. What is it that you need to know about?

Really has not changed much in the way the signal is delivered from the Transmission point, to the receiver, other than it is now in the form of 1's & 0's in a Square wave, vs. an Analog Sine Wave.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #4

It's been about that long since I paid attention to it. I think I'm screwed any way. I live in a mountainous/hilly area. Punched my address into several websites and it doesn't look good. There is no local cable company to speak of. I currently have directv and was looking to get out from underneath them.
thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Post your information, from tvfool.com. There are free air satellite solutions out there BTW.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #6

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed7401e7293
Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

first off, dont buy any antenna made by terk, lol.

if youre that remote, and hilly, your only legitimate option is one of the old school jobs with all the long arms. they work, work quite well actually, and dont cost an arm and a leg.

the bees knees set up for you would be that, on a remote controlled rotator, to allow you to dial in specific channels from different directions.

just remember, if you go that route, to have the whole thing properly grounded/lightning proofed....ha ha.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chokingdogs For This Useful Post:
hpyjack2013 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
An Antenna Direct DB8 with a Channel Master Cm-7777 or Cm-7778 pre-amp, and the antenna placed on a rotor, up above the roofline should work fine.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #9

gregzoll what would you think about the DB8e vs the DB8
Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
gregzoll what would you think about the DB8e vs the DB8
It does allow you multidirectional, without having to use a rotor, so that is a plus.

You will not need a separate VHF-hi, since the Db8 & e, both do Vhf 7-13, along with UHF. The only question is, what is the nearest highest object between you and the towers. There is a site that you can use for satellite aiming, that will tell you distance, and height of the nearest highest object, which can help you determine how high to go with this.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #11

that's my problem-I'm at the base of "sunset hill" depending on where satellite is I'd have to go up several hundred feet. You don't recall the name of the site do you?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

This it:n2yo.com.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #13

how do you find out what channels use what satellites?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpyjack2013
how do you find out what channels use what satellites?
?????

Satellite channels? You need Dish or Direct TV

OTA....UHF/VHF antenna...in your case, a tall one.

One advantage to HD OTA is that as long as you can get a signal, picture is good. Basically, it's all or nothing.

I have OTA. I get about 64 digital channels. Of course, only about 8 of them are in English.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #15

Is it possible that some of the local channels won't use a satellite but just use antennas and repeaters