OK To Mount Flat-screen TV On Plywood - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OK to mount flat-screen TV on plywood

I bought a Chief PDRUB mount to mount my 50" flat-screen TV. The instructions say it must be mounted to two studs. However, there are no studs in the location where I want to mount it. Instead, behind the wall is plywood. Is it OK to mount it to plywood?

Advertisement

bzc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzc10 View Post
Is it OK to mount it to plywood?
How thick?
Does the grain on most of the plies run vertically?
Will you use through-bolts?

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

I don't know the thickness or if the grain runs vertically. I know there's plywood because I took video of the house while it was being built, and you can see the plywood but no studs.

I'm not sure what through-bolts are. The mount comes with lag bolts. Are these the same?
bzc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I don't know the thickness or if the grain runs vertically. I know there's plywood because I took video of the house while it was being built, and you can see the plywood but no studs.

I'm not sure what through-bolts are. The mount comes with lag bolts. Are these the same?
With no studs I don't know what's holding up your house.

Bolting it with a nut, bolt and fender washers through the plywood would be stronger than using lag screws.

Probably you need to add studs at that location. The plywood would probably bend so much it would be visually disturbing.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,050

The same screws you use to mount the TV to studs will suffice for mounting the TV to 1/2 inch or thicker plywood, except that the smooth part of the screw nearest the head must not go so far in as to touch the plywood.

For thinner plywood use more of the same kind of screw (three for every two originally called for; round up), or use Molly bolts or use bolts with washers behind as suggested above. The extra screw for each grouping should be as high up (vertically) as possible.

Now you need to know what the plywood is attached to so the whole wall doesn't come down.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-21-2010 at 07:46 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
When you say your house has plywood wall,
i am thinking perhaps you really saw and made videos of the exterior sheathing, and that there are in fact studs on the other side

Try running over your walls with a good stud finder, or upload your video to youtube and post the link

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-24-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: added pict
Mr Chips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #7

There is almost no reason I can think of that there would be plywood and no studs. Even if there were plywood, it should be mounted on studs.

Advertisement

onetec is offline   Reply With Quote