Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

Mount tv in corner

Hey all. I have a 60" plasma tv that I want to mount in a corner of my living room. I've been looking at wall mounts and notice that the flat mounts are considerably less expensive than the corner mounts. Here's my question...instead of using a corner mount, could I attach boards "across" the corner and mount a flat wall mount to them?

Sent from my iPhone using diychatroom.com

cgrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

Mount tv in corner

Have you searched Amazon? The prices are like quarter of the price of retail stores.
You can mount a board but getting it attached to a stud on each side is key but it can be tricky and stud may not be where you want. It would be best to put a board against each wall and attach an angled board to that so you can hit multiple studs. Should be using at least 2x6's and hd structural screws.

I would create a whole wall from floor to ceiling. It would make a great accent wall. Finish it in barn board, hardwood flooring,tile,bold wallpaper. You can even create builtins under tv for A/V components.

Last edited by JustinK; 04-10-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: grammar
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

Mount tv in corner

I agree with Justin, building an accent wall to mount onto, though more expensive, would be more secure and more attractive.
pendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #4

Mount tv in corner

I really like the idea of building a new wall but I can't since the cold air return for the furnace is in that corner.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #5

Mount tv in corner

Do it similar to building a heavy duty corner shelf. Flat mount bolted to the face of that corner shelf and you should be good to go, as long as you've built it strong enough.

I'd use 2x12 cleats on the two walls, beveling the ends where the third 2x12 will tie in. Bevel the ends of the front 2x2, add in a couple braces to help support it, and lag bolts it all together.

Mount your "el cheapo" flat mount and you're done.

THEN..

As you tally up how much you spent doing it that way, you realize a good quality cantilever mount would probably have cost about the same, and would have worked better....
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #6

Mount tv in corner

Thank you all for your input. I rearranged my living room and mounted it on a flat wall with a $30 wall mount. Looks great.